Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 05:51 AM

10 posts, read 12,443 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I'm looking at relocating to Spokane, Washington...I'm in San Diego, CA now, but I feel like I'm starved for trees! My grandfather and father are Pacific Northwesters from a ways back, and I lived in both as a kid and Oregon as an adult, but I'm looking to stay away from Seattle, Wa. and Portland, Or. I think I'm just ready to step back and slow things down apace, but I'd like to have an interesting arts and college community nearby for diversity and cultural interest.

I am an older woman with grown kids who have moved out, and I would be renting and attending college which has long been a dream of mine, but I was busy raising the kids. Suggestions? And BTW, folks on this forum while I was "lurking" seem to be pretty open, nice people. As a testament to the kind of people living in Spokane, sounds to me like a good place to find new neighbors. I'd like to be in a relatively safe area, where strolling along the paths is okay for a woman alone or with a friend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 06:03 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trees4me View Post
Hello All,

I'm looking at relocating to Spokane, Washington...I'm in San Diego, CA now, but I feel like I'm starved for trees! My grandfather and father are Pacific Northwesters from a ways back, and I lived in both as a kid and Oregon as an adult, but I'm looking to stay away from Seattle, Wa. and Portland, Or. I think I'm just ready to step back and slow things down apace, but I'd like to have an interesting arts and college community nearby for diversity and cultural interest.

I am an older woman with grown kids who have moved out, and I would be renting and attending college which has long been a dream of mine, but I was busy raising the kids. Suggestions? And BTW, folks on this forum while I was "lurking" seem to be pretty open, nice people. As a testament to the kind of people living in Spokane, sounds to me like a good place to find new neighbors. I'd like to be in a relatively safe area, where strolling along the paths is okay for a woman alone or with a friend.
Haha, I am in the same boat as you. I have lived most of my life in CA and Washington......now in San Diego. I do not know if I see much of a future for myself in San Diego......costs of living for the nice parts are too much for me.......so it looks like 3rd world San Diego is my future.

I have lived in Eastern Wa, Yakima and the Tri-cities areas. Yakima.....bleech. Tri-cities was really nice.......just too small for me. I am pretty sure that Spokane would be a lot better fit.

I lived in Seattle for over 30 years........no longer a good place for someone who does not have big bucks....just as pricey as southern Ca.

I love the weather in San Diego.......but..........that is not enough to keep me here.

Old 07-11-2011, 02:17 PM

9 posts, read 25,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trees4me View Post
Hello All,

North Spokane or the South Hill would be the choices you would want to have more trees and both are quite safe. North Spokane has Spokane Falls Community College as well as Whitworth. There is also Spokane Community College on the eastern side of North Spokane. The north side offers great shopping while South Hill has a beautiful park but shopping is a drive to get to.

Of course if you are looking at a state university, there is Eastern Washington in Cheney which is about 20 minutes from Spokane and also offers the city bus as transportation.

People are very nice here. It is rare for someone to blow their horn while driving which you never notice until you leave from here and remember what life is like elsewhere.

Old 07-11-2011, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy Reinholdt View Post
North Spokane or the South Hill would be the choices you would want to have more trees and both are quite safe. North Spokane has Spokane Falls Community College as well as Whitworth. There is also Spokane Community College on the eastern side of North Spokane. The north side offers great shopping while South Hill has a beautiful park but shopping is a drive to get to.

Of course if you are looking at a state university, there is Eastern Washington in Cheney which is about 20 minutes from Spokane and also offers the city bus as transportation.

People are very nice here. It is rare for someone to blow their horn while driving which you never notice until you leave from here and remember what life is like elsewhere.
And what's that area near downtown, the shady part of town where all of the tweakers and criminals live, the area to avoid????

Old 07-11-2011, 08:14 PM

9 posts, read 25,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
And what's that area near downtown, the shady part of town where all of the tweakers and criminals live, the area to avoid????
You must not live here. I have no problem walking in downtown at any time of the day or evening. Haven't tried walking after midnight but haven't seen anything "shady" driving thru it at even 3 am in the morning. Can't say that about most places I have lived at.

Old 07-11-2011, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy Reinholdt View Post
You must not live here. I have no problem walking in downtown at any time of the day or evening. Haven't tried walking after midnight but haven't seen anything "shady" driving thru it at even 3 am in the morning. Can't say that about most places I have lived at.
Come on Brah, every area has their SPOTS. I have lived in Tri-cities and Yakima, they had shady spots. And hey, the nickname Spokompton did not just appear out of thin air. 4th highest car theft rate in the country, all those tweakers have to get money somewhere......better not mess about in the hood when you are in Spokompton.

Old 07-16-2011, 04:14 PM

649 posts, read 1,768,141 times
she's right............there's a couple of missenthrops (?spelling??) who slam spokane and gives outsiders the idea that it has real bad dangerous places......this is a joke and i'm from so ca and know bad areas.....and the lower income areas do not necessarly mean high crime here in spokane. so ya it's safe to walk anywhere here and the low income areas are easy to spot.
ya know.......... not everyone is lucky to have a good income ..........and so have to live in low income areas................. but that doesn't mean you'll be unsafe......this is not california!
check out norhern part of spokane; great shopping, great neighborhoods, lower real estate prices then south hill but just as nice but much much more easier place to live then the south hill.

Old 07-16-2011, 04:16 PM

1,989 posts, read 2,534,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
You mean where all the diversity is? Yes.

Old 07-17-2011, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
she's right............there's a couple of missenthrops (?spelling??) who slam spokane and gives outsiders the idea that it has real bad dangerous places......this is a joke and i'm from so ca and know bad areas.....and the lower income areas do not necessarly mean high crime here in spokane. so ya it's safe to walk anywhere here and the low income areas are easy to spot.
ya know.......... not everyone is lucky to have a good income ..........and so have to live in low income areas................. but that doesn't mean you'll be unsafe......this is not california!
check out norhern part of spokane; great shopping, great neighborhoods, lower real estate prices then south hill but just as nice but much much more easier place to live then the south hill.

Well, I currently live in Californiatard. And I know, every city has their trashy areas.....but does that mean they have to let their houses and yard look like crap????? And yeah, TRASHY is a fitting term..........what the hell......do poor people think it is fine to just throw garbage anywhere and everywhere?????

Form what I have read, not that much violent crime in Spokane.........lots of property crime and car theft.......tweakers at work.

Old 07-17-2011, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aplcr0331 View Post
You mean where all the diversity is? Yes.
Please, expand on the meaning of your post.

I mean, doesn't Spokane have an Urban American population of about 2%????? I cherish the diversity of all people, but if this is true, it is mildly distressing to me. Is there a lot of Urban Americans "Hanging out" near the downtown area??? Not that this is a problem for me......just curious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area