U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-23-2011, 10:31 PM

13 posts, read 33,633 times

Advertisements

overall which is the better and/or cheaper state to live in.

i'm looking to relocate to the Spokane area, but would like to live in Idaho, but work and go to school in Spokane Valley.

i will be renting an apartment and attending Spokane community college. and my company that i will transfer with is also located in the valley. but idaho appeals to me more, but is it cheaper living too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 01:17 PM

619 posts, read 926,581 times
this is right up my alley; i've been comparing the two since i've been looking to purchase a place............i've lived in both spokane and cda; and i love them both..........but coeur d'alene is sooooooooo beautiful!!!!!!!! and the people are nice in both places but idaho people are even more open and friendlier then spokane people imo. there's about a 2% difference in sales tax with idaho the lesser, but washington doesn't have an income tax but then again the income tax for idaho is quit low, ranges to around less then 3%-7.???% so that's not a big deal unles you are a high incomer earner. but the kicker is in idaho's favor becasue their property tax is soooooo much less then spokane county. AND you get much much more home for your dollar in all the cda area; you have many many homes that are on the average newer then spokane and on around .25 acre and still in town. so many homes in spokane are the small bungalow with half the living space in converted basements whereas in cda the homes are bigger and newer. the utilites in cda area seem to be even a little less then spokane as well, with not an appreciable difference in winter temps to make heating more expensive in cda area over spokane. but all this sorta doesn't matter if you are looking to rent because they are probably equal in that area. oh another plus for idaho is that the gas is at least 15 cents a gallon less in idaho over washington: idaho has less gas taxes. so the lower sales tax and lots lower gas cost i think more then makes up for the very low income tax that you'd pay if you lived in idaho.
but if you had to commute from idaho to spokane you'd have a bug gas expense to factor in.
hope this helps

Old 08-24-2011, 01:57 PM

108 posts, read 188,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
and the people are nice in both places but idaho people are even more open and friendlier then spokane people imo.

Meh...Idaho folks are proud to be from "Northern Idaho" and seem to have a superiority complex over Washingtonians. They seem to believe they are "real" country folk and people from Spokane are city slickers.

For example I work with a guy from Post Falls that calls people from Washington "apple maggots" because of a sign between the two states about an apple maggot quarantine. Other Post Falls residents I know seem to share this sentiment.

I just went to Priest Lake for a day and was held up due to some road construction(there was a line of us). We could hear radio chatter of "if they don't like it, tell them to go back to Spokane" and "who cares! make them wait, they're all Washington plates anyway!"

I've been in the area for two years and I have not felt the warmth from the Northern Idaho folks.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:24 PM

thanks for your help.

Old 08-25-2011, 11:42 AM

4 posts, read 13,094 times
Some of your comments give me a chuckle... Idaho is Idaho, nice place to live, but so is Spokane.. Spokane has a mass amount of land mass, i live in North Spokane, within a country atmosphere, but only 7 minutes to the city, so you can have both in Washington... it just boils down to a personal choice to yourself.. and if you are renting, contact some local realty companies that support rental units for the two states for support / information. Oh in closing, Washington "folks" are proud to be from Washington...

Old 08-25-2011, 09:05 PM

9,211 posts, read 12,366,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
but idaho people are even more open and friendlier then spokane people imo.
I had the opposite experience.

I spent a month commuting from Post Falls to Spokane. Living in ID simply isn't worth it if all of life's activities take you to WA.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:06 AM

well, i'll be visiting the area for about a week before i move
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area