Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2007, 08:14 PM

12 posts, read 31,103 times

Advertisements

Its looking like I am heading to Spokane for work. I just wanted to get an idea of a few things.
Is 55k a good salary for a single 26yr old single male in the area?
Single, Educated, Attractive women, is there a good singles scene?
How bad are the winters? (i'm originally from Buffalo so I can handle winter)
Good places to live? (i'll be working in the valley, no more than 20 mins away)
Is the crime as bad as everyone makes it seem?

The city and area look like a great match for me. I don't like big cities but I sure don't wanna live in the sticks. Any input is greatly appreciated. I will actually be there in 6 days, any advice on where to go out on a friday night, in the valley by the mall?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2007, 08:52 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,616,769 times
Sure. 55K is a very decent salary in Spok-a-loo.

Winters are variable. Not as bad as Buffalo, or the upper midwest, but expect snow. But Spokane benefits from still being somewhat close to the Pacific Ocean and that moderates winter temps. Summers can get hot, but low humidity, and usually heatwaves break within a few days.

It's not the sticks. You'll find pretty much everything in Spokane that you can find in any other metro area.

Social scene? No comment.

Old 08-25-2007, 09:02 AM

"Social Scene? No comment"

Should I be worried about this? or you just don't know?
Either way I really can't wait for the wide open spaces of the PNW. Anything I should look out for as far as living area? I might purchase a condo or townhouse. Keep the input coming, I really appreciate it.

Old 08-25-2007, 09:36 AM

1,009 posts, read 4,896,938 times
Spokane has a great social scene for younger people like you. I'm in my 40's and now feel like one of the old fogeys when we go out 'cause there's so many younger folks out and about. I don't get to the valley area very often but downtown has a fun night life with lots of pubs and places to go. I know there's a lot of development near the Valley mall, so you won't have any problem finding a place to hang out and meet people.

Old 08-25-2007, 04:07 PM

wendy, I see your in real estate. Where would you recommend looking for homes?

Old 08-27-2007, 01:55 PM

231 posts, read 1,079,813 times
Your salary will be more than fine. The winters will be more mild than Buffalo although there will be snow (really varies depending on the year). I'm not sure about nightlife in the valley although I know there are a few bars/clubs out that way. Downtown has really progressed in the past few years and you can likely find the type of venue that fits your style. The singles scene is a little tougher than some larger cities but is okay, not great. You might want to check out two local weekly papers for ideas about restaurants, concerts, shows, bars, etc: 7 • Home
and www.theinlander.com (broken link) (link not working properly right now).

Old 09-04-2007, 10:43 AM

Spokane here I come. It's official!!!!

Old 05-25-2011, 11:38 AM

89 posts, read 236,029 times
Social scene.
br> Spookylou has no social scene. My gripe for four years in toiletkane.

Try to meet womyn in public spaces. You are limited to the many hypocritical christian churches and biker (white trash) bars. Online and speed dating are a joke. I'd not tried speed dating here. Try Free Online Dating at Plentyoffish.comâ„¢ as it completely free and you'll find the same lot on any fee-based online dating site.

26 is nearly young enough. Many womyn you'll meet shall come with children and shall expect you to pay for them and their upbringing and education since deadbeat dad is common place in white trash Slumkane.

You don't mention from whence you came. As the post and thread are nearly four years on, another opportunity to bash Krapkane, WA.

I'll guess you are some type of engineer. Mechanical, software, materials, specification, civil, hydro engineer? Matters not as engineers work as if no people use what they design based on incomplete requirements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
View detailed profiles of: