U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2012, 05:17 PM

19 posts, read 39,231 times

Advertisements

We are visiting Spokane. We will move to Spokane this July. I am posting this thread at Oakwood Quality Inn. After a two-day tour, we narrow our search for future home to 5 mile and the surrounding area and south hill. Please comment on these two neighborhood. We appreciate a comparison of Lewis Clark and Mead High. From SchoolDigger.com, it seems Mead High performed poorly in the state standard test, math in particular. Can anyone give an explanation? Any input is welcome.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2012, 10:37 PM

59 posts, read 151,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KATRINANOLA View Post
We are visiting Spokane. We will move to Spokane this July. I am posting this thread at Oakwood Quality Inn. After a two-day tour, we narrow our search for future home to 5 mile and the surrounding area and south hill. Please comment on these two neighborhood. We appreciate a comparison of Lewis Clark and Mead High. From SchoolDigger.com, it seems Mead High performed poorly in the state standard test, math in particular. Can anyone give an explanation? Any input is welcome.
You forgot to tell us which room you were in.

Old 04-27-2012, 10:43 PM

1,009 posts, read 4,645,562 times
You should go with the area that feels best to you -- Five Mile Prairie is open space, few trees, newer homes, somewhat of a cookie cutter look - depending on what part of Five Mile. South Hill is older homes with a mix of styles, lots of trees, hilly streets. Regarding the schools I'd visit both and see which seems like a better fit for your child/children. If your child is good in math, the overall math scores for the school shouldn't bother you. LC is a downtown HS with a broad mix of students from all walks of life. Mead is probably a little more of a stable student population but there are economic diversities in both schools. Most people feel that Mead is the only school district they'd put their kids in, but I really think there are good schools all over the Spokane area.

Old 04-30-2012, 04:09 PM

1,193 posts, read 1,393,607 times
South Hill. Manito, High Drive area.

Old 04-30-2012, 07:23 PM

19 posts, read 39,231 times
Thanks for your input. could anyone tell which neighborhood is easier to drive around on a snowy day?

Old 05-01-2012, 01:59 PM

231 posts, read 537,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KATRINANOLA View Post
Thanks for your input. could anyone tell which neighborhood is easier to drive around on a snowy day?
I avoid South Hill and Five Mile Prairie when there is snow and ice. The South Hill seems pretty bad in the Winter based on all the news stories I have seen. There is nothing but houses up on the Five Mile Prairie so if you need groceries or anything else then you will have to go down the steep hill to get to those places. It is all about risk versus reward with those locations. You will have to decide if it is worth the risk.

Old 05-02-2012, 03:58 PM

44 posts, read 112,015 times
As you get out of the urban area, it can be quite windy as there's nothing to block the wind. 5 Mile area is one of those areas where the wind can howl while in the city there's a light breeze.

Old 05-06-2012, 07:10 PM

3 posts, read 16,684 times
I picked the South Hill and haven't regretted the choice. Winter and hills can be tough, but that is usually just one or two days out of the winter when it is truly bad and then it is usually only a few hours before it is cleared up and manageable. I would highly recommend a 4wd car. We have a subaru and it does great.

We have many friends whose kids are at Lewis and Clarke, and it is a fine school. Ferris is another option. A lot of the school has to do with the kid and how serious they take it and how well they fit in. We chose to enroll our child at Gonzaga Prep (not for religious or because we are rich, just wanted the best education) and she loves it and excels there. Honestly, it hurts the pocket book and driving back and forth is not always the funnest, but after two years I am completely sold that it is worth the pain.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area