Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2012, 05:42 PM

Location: Between the Evergreen state and the Green Mountain state
76 posts, read 194,844 times

Advertisements

I have a job opportunity in the Spokane/Coeur d'Alene area that would allow me to live on either side of the WA/ID state line. I've lived in Washington before (for several years), but was looking for opinions of which state to choose for this opportunity. I know there's no income tax in WA (although my income would come from ID, and I'd have to pay ID income tax). But other reasons to choose one state as residence over the other? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2012, 07:36 PM

13,824 posts, read 29,797,901 times
There have been plenty of threads about this in both the Spokane and Idaho forums, and people come to different conclusions re: the benefits and cons of living in either state.

Advantages - Disadvantages Washington side or Idaho?

better state to live?...Idaho or Washington

Advantages - Disadvantages Washington side or Idaho?

Idaho vs Washington

Live in Washington, work in Idaho

Taxes.....Washington VS Idaho etc.

Old 05-13-2012, 08:09 PM

6,303 posts, read 6,947,909 times
I moved from Idaho to Washington in 1980. From CDA to Colville.

Washington wins on virtually every facet. We ended up shopping in Spokane, getting a Spokane library card, going to dinner and concerts in Spokane when we lived in both places.

Washington is a very inexpensive state to live if you have a low CONSUMPTIVE lifestyle. You only get taxed on "optional" purchases. No tax on food, medical, etc. etc.

Spokane County actually has some large businesses to pay taxes. In Idaho, it is mostly residential property owners.

I missed getting a "lifetime" fishing and hunting license in Idaho by a couple of months before I moved. I would move to Idaho and get a lifetime license and then move to Washington IF I ONLY CARED about maximizes my benefits.

If you don't hunt or fish......Washington.

All you lose is the cool factor of living in Idaho.

Spokane pretty much ignores State government anyway. Washington state government is pretty much non-existent in eastern Washington. You get to pay for the stadiums and arenas, and the roads in western Washington. But if your only paying minimal taxes who cares.

Old 05-13-2012, 08:43 PM

541 posts, read 1,721,302 times
Everything Idahoan's do, shopping, work, mostly everything, is located in Washington's Spokane metro.

Old 05-19-2012, 09:23 AM

Pretty much what I thought -- unless other factors appear, it looks like Washington wins. Thanks all for the info.

Old 05-19-2012, 09:50 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,601 posts, read 57,556,690 times
If you own or plan to have a home business with any tangible assets, or eventually BE an employer... ID will win.

IDAHO gets hundreds of fleeing businesses / farms annually from WA and OR. (Where 2-3 counties on the we_tside control the regulation frenzy of lawmakers.

IDAHO business development claims, "WA and OR legislators are ID's best friend"

Old 05-19-2012, 10:12 PM

@StealthRabbit
Care to explain why "Idaho wins" if you have a home business or plan to be an employer? I do have a part-time home biz, and plan to do more entrepreneurial endeavors in the future. Thanks.

Old 05-20-2012, 01:20 AM

Basically it is business tax and reporting. + very stringent (impossible) regulation / licensing. Christine (our non-elected Governor) prior job was running the Dept of Ecology, and grew it for something reasonable to deal with to a behemoth organization that makes it impossible to get permits / progress. Many companies just have to leave WA, especially those with and ecology needs or those with air / water quality challenges, and high capital equipment assets. It is much better to be in sales / consulting / IT than a manufacturer, farmer. or employer (hence Boeing left yrs ago, moved Corporate to IL. )

Doing business (there should be some on-line classes that are well worth your time. I send folks to their local DOR office, as they usually offer classes 1/month. You get to sit with an auditor that specializes in your entity / type of business
Department of Revenue

more important than ever to follow my age-old-advice... Stop at the tax assessor BEFORE deciding on a location. You business assets (from paper clips to $m machines) are taxed ANNUALLY as personal property at the same rate as your home / place of business property tax rate. That varies A LOT. Even just across the street or next door can be 30% + variation.

As mentioned... the state electorate is controlled by 3 LIBERAL counties. Very few % of those voters are OWNERS of businesses or employers + there is a much higher % of renters in those 3, than the remaining 36 counties. Thus the 'movers and shakers of the WA economy get NO representation, and certainly no help in business roadblocks. It is very sad to see so many businesses go bust (or flee to ID,) when the owners are very diligent and desire to do good for their WA community.

If I had my choice, ID is a no brainer. YMMV. If you are comfortable with being under the control / whims of 3 we_tside counties, then WA may work.

Old 05-20-2012, 01:38 PM

968 posts, read 2,056,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Basically it is business tax and reporting. + very stringent (impossible) regulation / licensing. Christine (our non-elected Governor) prior job was running the Dept of Ecology, and grew it for something reasonable to deal with to a behemoth organization that makes it impossible to get permits / progress. Many companies just have to leave WA, especially those with and ecology needs or those with air / water quality challenges, and high capital equipment assets. It is much better to be in sales / consulting / IT than a manufacturer, farmer. or employer (hence Boeing left yrs ago, moved Corporate to IL. )

Doing business (there should be some on-line classes that are well worth your time. I send folks to their local DOR office, as they usually offer classes 1/month. You get to sit with an auditor that specializes in your entity / type of business
Department of Revenue

more important than ever to follow my age-old-advice... Stop at the tax assessor BEFORE deciding on a location. You business assets (from paper clips to $m machines) are taxed ANNUALLY as personal property at the same rate as your home / place of business property tax rate. That varies A LOT. Even just across the street or next door can be 30% + variation.

As mentioned... the state electorate is controlled by 3 LIBERAL counties. Very few % of those voters are OWNERS of businesses or employers + there is a much higher % of renters in those 3, than the remaining 36 counties. Thus the 'movers and shakers of the WA economy get NO representation, and certainly no help in business roadblocks. It is very sad to see so many businesses go bust (or flee to ID,) when the owners are very diligent and desire to do good for their WA community.

If I had my choice, ID is a no brainer. YMMV. If you are comfortable with being under the control / whims of 3 we_tside counties, then WA may work.

You're right, wouldn't be nice to delete Eastern Washington, or at least give it to Idaho. Those Liberal westside counties are too liberal in giving their money to the east side.

Revenue/Expenditure Disparities By County in Washington State | Department of Geography

Old 05-20-2012, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swigchow View Post
You're right, wouldn't be nice to delete Eastern Washington, or at least give it to Idaho. ...
yes, so right, and you're certainly not the first to suggest such a thought.

Lets go! The east side would certainly be better off not relying on welfare, and definitely more capable of surviving without it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area