U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-15-2012, 05:14 PM
Status: "Motel Hell really did happen!" (set 3 days ago)
 
Location: Meth capital of the world.
8,076 posts, read 5,371,908 times
Reputation: 4188
Spoke-Orleans is just par for the course for this once fine country....expect the infection to spread to every nice area left in this country.

I actually like a lot about Spokeadelphia, downtown has a real old-fashioned feel to it. But the bums and other no-goods take away a lot of ambiance of what could be a truly great downtown. The amount of crime is this city.......LMFAO, through the roof. I cannot complain too much about the crime/bums/stinkbuckets/no-goods, I researched it before moving here, knew exactly what I was getting into..........ditto for the weather. This area should be a lot cheap considering all of the glaring flaws.

Probably gong to move back to San Diego.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-16-2012, 10:33 AM
 
182 posts, read 147,319 times
Reputation: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman990 View Post
So I stopped in Spokane for a few days on the way back from a conference in Seattle. It seemed even more depressed than what I've heard. Many rude, unhappy people. Seattle has it going on. Spokane....not! Even the airport looked like a ghost town. Bye bye Spokane! I'm glad to be back in Colorado and am now moving to Boulder, the polar opposite of Spokane.
Good choice man . I lived there 10 years and though I had great times, I was also in highschool. As a working professional or middle aged man though it would not be a place I'd chose to move to unless I had a ridiculous job offer, wife, or some other life altering reason to go.

It really is extremely conservative, cold, not very culterally or artistically diverse, and as you saw, pretty damn ugly. I think you made the right decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2012, 10:45 AM
 
182 posts, read 147,319 times
Reputation: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyde Kneejerk View Post
Yep, as far as I know it is a vast right wing conspiracy designed specifically to keep certain types out Spokane, the best little city in the world. And, best of all, it looks like it worked on you.
Yes, certain "types" like black people, mexican people....basically anyone that doesn't look like a Wonderbread commercial. When I moved the city was 95% white....95%.

People tend to gravitate towards places where they feel most comfortable. In Spokane that would most likely mean you have one or some of the following charactersitcs: socially and politically conservative, white, nature lover, enjoy winter activities, or you work in a field that does not require a post secondary education. To me that means it's only the best for a very limited demographic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2012, 10:51 AM
Status: "What we cannot speak about, you must mention" (set 22 days ago)
 
Location: Spokane, WA
1,640 posts, read 707,993 times
Reputation: 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtoSD? View Post
Good choice man . I lived there 10 years and though I had great times, I was also in highschool. As a working professional or middle aged man though it would not be a place I'd chose to move to unless I had a ridiculous job offer, wife, or some other life altering reason to go.

It really is extremely conservative, cold, not very culterally or artistically diverse, and as you saw, pretty damn ugly. I think you made the right decision.
At what point does a city become diverse? Is there a percentage of minorities that are needed in order to make a city diverse? What makes a city atistically diverse?

I see this quite a bit and since I am the wrong kind of white person I always wonder what the phrases mean and if there is a measure that tells me when I am in a diverse place or an artistic place.

Can you define a little bit for me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2012, 11:08 AM
 
182 posts, read 147,319 times
Reputation: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by aplcr0331 View Post
At what point does a city become diverse? Is there a percentage of minorities that are needed in order to make a city diverse? What makes a city atistically diverse?

I see this quite a bit and since I am the wrong kind of white person I always wonder what the phrases mean and if there is a measure that tells me when I am in a diverse place or an artistic place.

Can you define a little bit for me?
Sure, there are plenty of measures. You could compare art galleries per capita, music venues per capita, etc. For example, Austin is obviously on the high end of an artistically diverse community, with literally thousands of bands, venues, and galleries. Spokane.....low end.

Ethnically diverse? Again, how does a city compare to other cities? New York city, high end. Spokane......low end. LOL something tells me you know how to do this simple comarable analysis yourself.

You could even compare Spokane to the United states as whole. As of today Spokane is 86.7% white. Does that represent the general demographic of the entire country? No.

Granted, things have changed not just there but everywhere in the 15 yrs since I left around 1996. But the racist jokes and stereotypes were rediculous then. That's one clue you are NOT in a culturally or artistically diverse area. If you need a quantifiable measure to know the difference, odds are that you have not spent a significant amount time in one area or the other (diverse or conservative).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2012, 01:06 PM
Status: "What we cannot speak about, you must mention" (set 22 days ago)
 
Location: Spokane, WA
1,640 posts, read 707,993 times
Reputation: 2018
So art galleries means that a place is more artistic? I can see that. Are there any other kinds of arts that can be measured? Plays, music festivals or whatever? Do art related companies count?

Comparing any city to Austin would be a lose-lose since Austin is kind of a mecca for arts/entertainment and such.

I'm not arguing that Spokane IS ethnically diverse, I'm asking how YOU measure a cities diversity? Just by the demographics of the city? At what percentage does a city become "diverse"? Detroit has almost the same percentage of African-Americans that Spokane does of white people, does that mean Detroit is not diverse?

I just spent the last two years living in Baltimore, MD. I also spent 3 years in Portland, OR (and although the city is very white, there are enough arts there for people to think it is diverse). I also lived in Southern California for 7 years. I've been around "diversity".

I've just never had someone, such as yourself, that wants "diversity" define it very well. That's all.

What do want from your diversity? Just less white people? More art galleries? Who produces the art that you enjoy? Do you want diverse people who don't look like you? Or, do you want diverse people who do not think like you? Do you want to be around people who look different but think the same? I just live where my work takes me and don't get to caught up in what people look like or belive politically or religously. I just like people who want to be productive members of a society and participate in the local area's events. If that means art galleries-fine. If that means monster truck rallies-fine. To each his own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2012, 02:36 PM
 
Location: Washington State, NOT Seattle
674 posts, read 457,327 times
Reputation: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by aplcr0331 View Post
What do want from your diversity? Just less white people? More art galleries? Who produces the art that you enjoy? Do you want diverse people who don't look like you? Or, do you want diverse people who do not think like you? Do you want to be around people who look different but think the same? I just live where my work takes me and don't get to caught up in what people look like or belive politically or religously. I just like people who want to be productive members of a society and participate in the local area's events. If that means art galleries-fine. If that means monster truck rallies-fine. To each his own.
Well said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2012, 06:55 AM
 
Location: Arvada, CO
8,898 posts, read 11,733,637 times
Reputation: 6462
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtoSD? View Post
Yes, certain "types" like black people, mexican people....basically anyone that doesn't look like a Wonderbread commercial. When I moved the city was 95% white....95%.

People tend to gravitate towards places where they feel most comfortable. In Spokane that would most likely mean you have one or some of the following charactersitcs: socially and politically conservative, white, nature lover, enjoy winter activities, or you work in a field that does not require a post secondary education. To me that means it's only the best for a very limited demographic.
Me: "Mexican people"

Me: felt most comfortable in Spokane (over Southern CA, Denver, Seattle)

Me: socially moderate/lean liberal

Me: Loves nature in fairly small doses

Me: failed miserably at skiing, so other than enjoying the beauty of snow, I don't really partake in its activities.

Me: yeah, high school was enough to get me into the high 5 figures: ya got me there


I too wonder about the net benefits of ethnic diversity, and how they can be quantified in the happiness and contentment of a single person.
__________________
Moderator for Los Angeles, The Inland Empire, the Washington state forums, & Co-Mod for the North Dakota forums

Last edited by David Aguilar; 07-17-2012 at 07:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2012, 06:21 PM
Status: "Serendipity as a lifestyle" (set 1 day ago)
 
Location: On a hill near a river
14,369 posts, read 11,917,448 times
Reputation: 5715
Quote:
Originally Posted by aplcr0331 View Post
What do want from your diversity? Just less white people? More art galleries? Who produces the art that you enjoy? Do you want diverse people who don't look like you? Or, do you want diverse people who do not think like you? Do you want to be around people who look different but think the same? I just live where my work takes me and don't get to caught up in what people look like or belive politically or religously. I just like people who want to be productive members of a society and participate in the local area's events. If that means art galleries-fine. If that means monster truck rallies-fine. To each his own.
Excellent post.

This is a fine summation of the kinds of questions that we need to debate openly and honestly, both on a personal level and as a nation.

Reps to you, aplcr0331.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2012, 10:24 PM
 
182 posts, read 147,319 times
Reputation: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by aplcr0331 View Post
So art galleries means that a place is more artistic? I can see that. Are there any other kinds of arts that can be measured? Plays, music festivals or whatever? Do art related companies count?

Comparing any city to Austin would be a lose-lose since Austin is kind of a mecca for arts/entertainment and such.

I'm not arguing that Spokane IS ethnically diverse, I'm asking how YOU measure a cities diversity? Just by the demographics of the city? At what percentage does a city become "diverse"? Detroit has almost the same percentage of African-Americans that Spokane does of white people, does that mean Detroit is not diverse?

I just spent the last two years living in Baltimore, MD. I also spent 3 years in Portland, OR (and although the city is very white, there are enough arts there for people to think it is diverse). I also lived in Southern California for 7 years. I've been around "diversity".

I've just never had someone, such as yourself, that wants "diversity" define it very well. That's all.

What do want from your diversity? Just less white people? More art galleries? Who produces the art that you enjoy? Do you want diverse people who don't look like you? Or, do you want diverse people who do not think like you? Do you want to be around people who look different but think the same? I just live where my work takes me and don't get to caught up in what people look like or belive politically or religously. I just like people who want to be productive members of a society and participate in the local area's events. If that means art galleries-fine. If that means monster truck rallies-fine. To each his own.
Music venues, galleries, theatres, open mic events, plays, comedy clubs - the list is exhaustive. Artists generally need somewhere to perform or collaborate. Some cities have a much higher numer of all of the above than others. My city has 2 performing arts theatres, a belly dancing studio, a comedy club, several music venues, and at least 8 art galleries within 10 blocks of my apartment. There's plenty more in the rest of the city. It is, my friend, artistically diverse. Notice artists of all kinds (dancers, musicians, comedians, painters) of all kinds are well represented. Hense the words "artistically diverse".

But you were the one that challenged the notion. So how about YOU define a city with high artistic energy, that provides a diverse number of options in high quantity.

Considering that you understand Austin is high on the scale of artistic cities, I have a hunch your definition is not any different than mine or anyone else's. You know an artistically diverse city, and as you even said, one that's not (Spokane). That being said, I have a feeling, call it a hunch, that you do in fact know what other people referring to when they use similar terms to describe a city.

What is ethnic diversity?....I'm not going to answer that. C'mon. Seriously. If someone has to hold your hand and walk though Little China, or take you to a Greek restaurant, or show you a hooka bar, I feel sorry for you. If you do not understand how ethnic diversity affects, molds, and provides variation in the culteral landscape, why even raise the question? Duhhh, "do you want people that look different but look the same?" You know exactly what I'm saying on both accounts. And if not, I gave you plenty examples of culteral and artistic diversity.

You know, but you wanted to goat me bro LOL. I'm guessing a likely response is "So does Taco Bell and Panda Express provide diversity?" A good argument can be fun, but we are in agreement here. And for 10 hours everyday I have to respond to ridiculous arguments by people that get paid to argue. No need to do it more here.

Anyhow, enjoy your night.

Last edited by NewtoSD?; 07-17-2012 at 10:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top