Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 12:51 PM

649 posts, read 1,767,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman990 View Post
Okay, so what I have been finding out through my research, is that Spokane has a huge underclass. It has a 30% high school drop out rate, which could explain why people have told me that it is the welfare capital of Washington State. There are over 1,100 residential homes for sale under $150,000 according to realtor.com. Compared to other cities of its size, that is excessive inventory. Boise, for example, has only 327 homes available under $150,000. Reno 559. I think low housing prices are a good indicator of a very depressed economy, which leads to rampant of crime. Moderator cut: see note

It seems that Spokane is also controlled by a very conservative ruling class that votes down any measures to hire more police or to repair its streets that are falling apart. I've been following the local news there and it looks worse than Denver. Just this last week, 2 policeman were shot. Think I will reconsider this potential move.

ok got to put my 2 cents in; 6 months ago i'd have jumped on this and stood up for spokane.............but after reading the paper daily and listening to crime reports and sirens blasting frequently i have to admit that spokane does have a BIG crime problem and most importantly a very bad police department that has cut policing instead of doubling down on crime......i've lived here 2 years now and if i decide to purchase a home it won't be in the city; spokane nor spokane valley........as someone here said if you go outside the city it's better. but you still have to deal with coming into the city for life support.............we have way more crime then other cities this size and i put it totally on our police department and the city managers who are not taking this problem seriously.....and you aren't any better off selecting "better" parts of town to live the crime is thick downtown and west central and hillard but it bleeds out all over this area!!!
i've gotten to where i don't leave any doors open or windows open when i'm at home because of the rash of home invasion crime wave. the druggies are just blasting their way into homes even when they know someone is at home!!! maybe i need to get a bigger dog! but i'm seriusly considering moving to a more safer area in the next few years.....cause it doesn't look like things are going to turn around in the right direction....you don't read anything from the city leaders to indicate that they are changing their policies to address the crime in our area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 05:15 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,320,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
you don't read anything from the city leaders to indicate that they are changing their policies to address the crime in our area.
That's because they're too busy establishing a gay district in Spokane. Important stuff like that.

Old 07-06-2012, 02:20 PM

20 posts, read 57,034 times
So I stopped in Spokane for a few days on the way back from a conference in Seattle. It seemed even more depressed than what I've heard. Many rude, unhappy people. Seattle has it going on. Spokane....not! Even the airport looked like a ghost town. Bye bye Spokane! I'm glad to be back in Colorado and am now moving to Boulder, the polar opposite of Spokane.

Old 07-06-2012, 03:27 PM

Quote:
So I stopped in Spokane for a few days on the way back from a conference in Seattle. It seemed even more depressed than what I've heard. Many rude, unhappy people. Seattle has it going on. Spokane....not! Even the airport looked like a ghost town. Bye bye Spokane! I'm glad to be back in Colorado and am now moving to Boulder, the polar opposite of Spokane.
Aw, good for you.

Enjoy the fires.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:21 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Aw, good for you.

Enjoy the fires.
Hey now!

Old 07-07-2012, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Hey now!
Rich prick newbie traveling from Seattle to Boulder and he has to crap on Spokane? Screw him.

Hope his Escher prints smell like smoke.

Old 07-07-2012, 12:28 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Rich prick newbie traveling from Seattle to Boulder and he has to crap on Spokane? Screw him.

Hope his Escher prints smell like smoke.
Granted, he did have a few good points:

1) Seattle has "it" going on. Spokane thankfully doesn't.
2) The airport seemed like a ghost town. Seems like a great airport to me! (it actually is, where else can you go from check-in to gate in like 3 minutes? )
3) Spokane is the polar opposite of Boulder. THANK GOD!!!!!!!

Old 07-07-2012, 02:34 AM

30 posts, read 138,033 times
Quote:
It seems that Spokane is also controlled by a very conservative ruling class that votes down any measures to hire more police or to repair its streets that are falling apart.
Yep, as far as I know it is a vast right wing conspiracy designed specifically to keep certain types out Spokane, the best little city in the world. And, best of all, it looks like it worked on you.

Old 07-13-2012, 12:41 PM

20 posts, read 57,034 times
The responses I got from this post seem typical of a non-progressive element that is oblivious to the problems at hand in their own backyard. A town with an empy airport and "For Sale" signs posted all over town is not a good thing. Enjoy your potholes and home invasion crimes as your city self destructs.

Old 07-13-2012, 04:22 PM

Quote:
The responses I got from this post seem typical of a non-progressive element that is oblivious to the problems at hand in their own backyard. A town with an empy airport and "For Sale" signs posted all over town is not a good thing. Enjoy your potholes and home invasion crimes as your city self destructs.
Or, you could look at it from a more sane perspective and describe Spokane as a town with affordable housing and an airport that is comfortable, well-planned and not overcrowded.

This has nothing to do with "non-progressive elements" (a phrase which has unfortunate Stalinist echoes), and everything to do with the kind of pompous ignorance which characterizes those who so often hold in contempt that with which they have only the sketchiest of familiarity...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area