Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 06:30 PM

11 posts, read 42,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
Yet, the OP is telling you that a LEO, and therefore likely the entire department, has a different take on the matter.

Why are you a better source for information, opinion, or fact than an LEO? Why are you more credible?

Do you have any evidence to back up your statement?

As it stands, your opinion is stated as fact that is 'apparent'. Why is it apparent that it's roots aren't in illegal immigration? What have the legal residents of Spokane done to earn your condemnation? Because, if it isn't the illegals, then both the inference and your statement are putting the legal residents on trial. So, let's hear your supporting evidence, that will trump LEO statement in credibility, as to why it isn't the illegals and why it is the 'homegrown' population who is trouble. I would have thought such a statement as yours, going directly against an LEO statement of fact, would have warranted an immediate statement of supporting fact to be credible. Unfortunately for the discourse, it must be asked for. And remember, we need something that is more credible than the statement of a local LEO who is privy to a higher grade/dpeth and frequency of information than are you.

Just because one LEO has that opinion, does not automatically make it the entire department's opinion. Also, that LEOs opinion is coming from Kirkland, far removed from the daily happenings of Spokane. I would hardly consider a Kirkland PD officer to be a "local LEO".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2012, 11:37 AM

44 posts, read 119,077 times
Mexican gangs are everywhere. Spokane isn't by any means L.A. or Phoenix, but there is a presence. Go to any city with 100K people or more and it will be there.

I live in the 'burbs of Spokane, Liberty Lake area. I personally have not been affected by any crime in the 3+ years I've lived here. I think the "Spokane is ripe with crime" applies to the inner city / downtown area. Once you get a few miles away in either direction, crime is not a real issue.

Old 11-23-2012, 04:03 AM

7 posts, read 19,416 times
I feel like all my friends from Seattle think Spokane is a drug-addict, gang-infested mess. I grew up in Spokane, have spent some time in Seattle, and moved away for college. I have never felt unsafe in Spokane (though I live in the suburbs - the Valley, to be exact).

From what I've heard, experienced, and read ([mod]link removed[/mod]) Spokane is a little safer than Seattle, and neither place is bad.

Last edited by Count David; 11-23-2012 at 05:10 AM.. Reason: new members are not allowed to post links

Old 12-20-2012, 03:41 PM

82 posts, read 121,340 times
At the 2010 census, there were 208,916 people, 87,714 households, and 47,276 families residing in 94,291 housing units at population density of 3,387 people per square mile (1,307.7/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 86.7% White, 2.3% African American, 2.0% Native American, 2.6% Asian, 0.6% Pacific Islander, 0.9% from other races, and 4.6% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 5.0% of the population. 26.5% of the population had a Bachelor's degree or higher.[74][75]

IF EVERY SINGLE LATINO MAN-WOMAN AND CHILD was in a gang the problem of illegal immigrant gangs still would not be a big issue.

This is a national issue that is targeting and blaming immigrants for everything under the sun and frankly I resent it. If we are going to pigeonhole races on certain issues, take the mass shootings in Connecticut and nationwide, that are committed by White people and start racial profiling white males.

I mean shoot we racial profile arabs,blacks,latinos: WHY NOT the biggest perpetrators of child molestation, rape/murder of women, mass shootings. Which are white men.

Old 01-07-2013, 07:13 PM

20 posts, read 32,071 times
I did not witness any of that here , Plus even if you would have 150 gangs here that wont be such a big deal , they commot crime agaisnt other gangster , so if you live in suburb and are not involve in illegal activities you ll be fine

Old 03-31-2013, 08:08 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,834,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
I don't have time to post a long explanation, but if you look into other sources on the internet, those numbers saying that Spokane is worse than Compton for crime don't hold up. Check out City Data's data, among others. I have no idea how Moderator cut: see note got their data. No way does Spokane have more crime than Compton. The number of murders in Compton, for example, was more than twice Spokane's murder rate last year, and Compton is about 1/3 Spokane's size.

BTW, every mid-sized or larger town in Eastern WA, and many in Western WA has some semblance of a Hispanic gang problem. Every one. Spokane definitely has it's share of crime issues, but it's not as if it's Chicago.

So basically, no matter where you move, they are everywhere...

Old 04-02-2013, 03:05 AM

5 posts, read 15,861 times
No,No,No there is NOT a Black, White, Latino or Asian gang problem in Spokane, I have a 22 year old Nephew and 16 year old daughter, believe me those between those two if we had a gang problem in Spokane I would have heard by now, I live on the North Side, still in the Air Force, volunteer all over Spokane, I Love this Community!! very, very good place to raise a family, moved back here in 2007, never even had a gang problem here when I was 23 years old, back in 1996. Media and people who are afraid to get involved in their community, kinda "twist" the things they see around this city. In this case it was a LEO in a whole other city lol

Old 04-05-2013, 10:48 AM

46 posts, read 164,687 times
There is not a gang problem in Spokane.

There IS a problem of trashy methheads that will break into your car for the change in the ashtray.

Old 04-05-2013, 02:37 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,268,720 times
Well, to be completely fair, we can't say Spokane does not have Hispanic Gang crime:

Two victims in weekend gang shooting arrested for assault | KREM.com Spokane

But, as everyone has said, this pales in comparison to other cities in Central WA, such as Yakima.

I would still believe that, if a LEO from Kirkland thinks Spokane has an illegal gang problem, he is probably one of those people that think Western WA is the center of the universe and Eastern WA is just a hell-hole.

Old 04-06-2013, 06:49 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
Well, to be completely fair, we can't say Spokane does not have Hispanic Gang crime:

Two victims in weekend gang shooting arrested for assault | KREM.com Spokane

But, as everyone has said, this pales in comparison to other cities in Central WA, such as Yakima.

I would still believe that, if a LEO from Kirkland thinks Spokane has an illegal gang problem, he is probably one of those people that think Western WA is the center of the universe and Eastern WA is just a hell-hole.
Sounds like those vatos tontos messed with the wrong guys.
Spoiler
translation: dumb guys

I'm okay with somebody from Kirkland thinking Eastern WA is a hell-hole. It'd keep him from ever going there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area