Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2012, 07:52 PM

56 posts, read 112,970 times

Advertisements

Family of four (2 elem aged children) thinking of relocating to Washington, and Spokane is one of the areas we are looking at. My wife is a Registered Nurse, so we want to live in an area that has plenty of job opportunities in the health field and good pay. Coming from Okla City, cost of housing is very low compared to the rest of the nation (1200 sf, 4 bed house for $80k), and would like to know how affordable housing is. I consider myself a warm-weather person, does Spokane have warm summers? Ive read the winters can be brutal.. Thanks for any replies
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 09:34 PM

231 posts, read 590,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OWN14 View Post
Family of four (2 elem aged children) thinking of relocating to Washington, and Spokane is one of the areas we are looking at. My wife is a Registered Nurse, so we want to live in an area that has plenty of job opportunities in the health field and good pay. Coming from Okla City, cost of housing is very low compared to the rest of the nation (1200 sf, 4 bed house for $80k), and would like to know how affordable housing is. I consider myself a warm-weather person, does Spokane have warm summers? Ive read the winters can be brutal.. Thanks for any replies
I considered myself to be a cold weather person. Then I moved to Spokane and found out what cold weather really meant. Winters here are cold and long. Compared to Montana Spokane Winters are mild, but that does not make it any easier to endure. In the middle of January you will find yourself wondering if Winter will ever end. Winter officially starts here in Spokane on November 1 and ends April 1. Those are the dates when you can put your studded snow tires on your car. My heater in my house is switched on and running from October 1 to June 30, sometimes until the 4th of July. Usually it does not start getting hot until the 4th of July.
I do not like hot weather and Spokane Summers IMHO are pretty mild compared to Southern California. There are usually a few weeks of high temps in the Summer, but it usually cools off at night. There is usually very low humidity in the Summer if that makes a difference to you. Low humidity is bad when it comes to wildfires, which Spokane and the surrounding areas are prone to have.
I am glad I moved to Spokane three years ago from Southern California, but it is not right for everybody. If you are truly a warm weather person you will be miserable about 9 months out of the year here in Spokane. Spokane has long Winters and short Summers.

Old 11-08-2012, 04:49 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,320,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGTSO View Post
I considered myself to be a cold weather person. Then I moved to Spokane and found out what cold weather really meant. Winters here are cold and long. Compared to Montana Spokane Winters are mild, but that does not make it any easier to endure. In the middle of January you will find yourself wondering if Winter will ever end. Winter officially starts here in Spokane on November 1 and ends April 1. Those are the dates when you can put your studded snow tires on your car. My heater in my house is switched on and running from October 1 to June 30, sometimes until the 4th of July. Usually it does not start getting hot until the 4th of July.
I do not like hot weather and Spokane Summers IMHO are pretty mild compared to Southern California. There are usually a few weeks of high temps in the Summer, but it usually cools off at night. There is usually very low humidity in the Summer if that makes a difference to you. Low humidity is bad when it comes to wildfires, which Spokane and the surrounding areas are prone to have.
I am glad I moved to Spokane three years ago from Southern California, but it is not right for everybody. If you are truly a warm weather person you will be miserable about 9 months out of the year here in Spokane. Spokane has long Winters and short Summers.
I second these observations. Add to this the interminably long periods of chilly gray cloudiness, unrelieved by rain, and gloomy gloomy gloomy...

Old 11-13-2012, 02:18 PM

101 posts, read 222,138 times
If you compare Spokane to Oklahoma city just on weather alone, you'll find that it's not too much of a culture shock. Coming from southern Cal may be a bit more extreme. Average high temp in OKC in June July August is 87, 93, 93 with 45 days with highs over 90 in July and August combined. Average high temp in Spokane in June July August is 75, 83, 83 with 16 days with highs over 90 in July and August combined. I think the summers are nicer since temps are a bit more pleasant consistently. It is true that some summers we get snubbed with a very mild June and don't see temps over 70 until July, but most seasons that will not happen. In regard to winters, Spokane's are a bit longer and harsher, but also not as bad in comparison. For instance OKC average low temp in December January February is 28, 25, 30 with 58 days minimum temp below freezing and 2-3 inches of snowfall total each month. Spokane average low temp in December January February is 22, 21, 26 with 75 days days minimum temp below freezing and 14 inches of snowfall in December and January, but only 7 inches in February. I would reference the site I got this info from, but that is against CD rules. You can just search yearly weather data for each city.
Next, your question about healthcare jobs. Spokane has a huge employment market for healthcare and specifically RNs. This is one of the industries in Spokane that is booming and will continue to. In fact, we are going to get our own medical school soon, which is a good sign. My wife is a nurse and had no problem landing a great job right after she got her nursing degree. However, that was 4 years ago and the market has shifted slightly. There are still plenty of jobs for nurses, just maybe not the exact unit or rotation you are looking for right off the bat. Both Deaconess and Providence Sacred Heart are currently hiring (they were on a freeze a couple years ago) and there are plenty of other hospitals and clinics to choose from if the big hospital is not what you are looking for.
Now, moving on to the housing market. The Spokane area took a hit the last 5 years, just as the entire country did, but we did not get hit quite as hard. Housing was pretty affordable before the boom and collapse, so now it is really really affordable. The average sale price in the greater Spokane area is around $150k (national average is $184k). Most areas you can get a nicer "turn key" home for $75/sf. Of course, there are very nice and not so nice neighborhoods where you can get similar "turn Key" homes for $120/sf or $50/sf. Just depends on the area you decide to look in. Currently, there are 23 active listings with at least 1200 sf and 4 beds in Spokane. Not all of them are turn key, but there are a few in pretty good shape. There are really a ton of factors to consider when evaluating the market here, and I could just go on and on, but I think that is a good start. I hope that helps. Good luck with the relocation, and I hope to see you around Spokane!

Old 11-20-2012, 03:47 PM

56 posts, read 112,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buyandsell509 View Post
If you compare Spokane to Oklahoma city just on weather alone, you'll find that it's not too much of a culture shock. Coming from southern Cal may be a bit more extreme. Average high temp in OKC in June July August is 87, 93, 93 with 45 days with highs over 90 in July and August combined. Average high temp in Spokane in June July August is 75, 83, 83 with 16 days with highs over 90 in July and August combined. I think the summers are nicer since temps are a bit more pleasant consistently. It is true that some summers we get snubbed with a very mild June and don't see temps over 70 until July, but most seasons that will not happen. In regard to winters, Spokane's are a bit longer and harsher, but also not as bad in comparison. For instance OKC average low temp in December January February is 28, 25, 30 with 58 days minimum temp below freezing and 2-3 inches of snowfall total each month. Spokane average low temp in December January February is 22, 21, 26 with 75 days days minimum temp below freezing and 14 inches of snowfall in December and January, but only 7 inches in February. I would reference the site I got this info from, but that is against CD rules. You can just search yearly weather data for each city.
Next, your question about healthcare jobs. Spokane has a huge employment market for healthcare and specifically RNs. This is one of the industries in Spokane that is booming and will continue to. In fact, we are going to get our own medical school soon, which is a good sign. My wife is a nurse and had no problem landing a great job right after she got her nursing degree. However, that was 4 years ago and the market has shifted slightly. There are still plenty of jobs for nurses, just maybe not the exact unit or rotation you are looking for right off the bat. Both Deaconess and Providence Sacred Heart are currently hiring (they were on a freeze a couple years ago) and there are plenty of other hospitals and clinics to choose from if the big hospital is not what you are looking for.
Now, moving on to the housing market. The Spokane area took a hit the last 5 years, just as the entire country did, but we did not get hit quite as hard. Housing was pretty affordable before the boom and collapse, so now it is really really affordable. The average sale price in the greater Spokane area is around $150k (national average is $184k). Most areas you can get a nicer "turn key" home for $75/sf. Of course, there are very nice and not so nice neighborhoods where you can get similar "turn Key" homes for $120/sf or $50/sf. Just depends on the area you decide to look in. Currently, there are 23 active listings with at least 1200 sf and 4 beds in Spokane. Not all of them are turn key, but there are a few in pretty good shape. There are really a ton of factors to consider when evaluating the market here, and I could just go on and on, but I think that is a good start. I hope that helps. Good luck with the relocation, and I hope to see you around Spokane!
Thanks for the info. I looked at weather statistics, too, but I think they are often misleading. For example, Oklahoma summers are HOT. The last two years we have been over 100 around 50 or more times. I like to say about Oklahoma, "the best thing about Oklahoma is the weather, and the worst thing about Oklahoma is the weather".. Perfect example is today (NOV 20). It's 75 and sunny, no wind and not a cloud in the sky. I have only wore long pants once this year. I have my windows open and its still kinda warm in the house...

Anyway, its not really the summers that I worry about, its the winters. I realize that things are different everywhere you go, but I hear people say they are inside for 8 months out of the year due to cold weather. Now granted, in Okla in Aug when its 110, youre pretty much stuck inside, too, so I guess it's the same thing.

Regarding housing, we would want to rent for at least the first six months. Preferably a nice house (I know "nice" is relative) in a suburban area with good schools. At least four bedrooms and 1500 sf, big backyard, etc. What would rent/mortgage run on something like that?

Im assuming RN pay is $60kish/yr..?

Thanks!

Old 11-26-2012, 02:19 PM

101 posts, read 222,138 times
Hi there. I believe the RN pay is just about right. My wife is an RN at Sacred Heart and she really loves it. Deaconess is great too. I think those are the two higher paying places to work as an RN, but as you probably know wages can vary with shifts, and floor, etc. Anyways, suburban area with highly rated schools and the other items you mentioned would probably be found in Central Valley School district in Spokane Valley, and Mead School District in north Spokane. Both areas are very popular. In the Mead/Colbert area there's some really nice neighborhoods with nice homes. Not a lot for rent, but if there is anything it would probably be about $1400/month for a 4bed 2-3 bath home with at least 1500 sf. In the Valley, you may pay $1500/month. To buy is a little better. You can find plenty of great homes, even new construction, for around $200k. That would be at least 4 beds, 2 baths, nice big yard, and over 2,000 sf. Mortgage on something like that with today's rates would be $870/month. Then you'd have to add another $250 for insurance, taxes, and mortgage insurance depending on what loan you used. In the Valley areas, you can expect about a $20k difference in purcahse price, depending on area. We have seen about 10% higher prices in the $200k range. Additionally, inventory is pretty constricted in the Valley right now, and new construction is much more expensive (probably $230k for the same house on the northside) because of demand out there. So, to summarize, rent will be about 20-30% more expensive than owning with current market conditions. Hope that helps. Moderator cut: see note Have a good one!

Last edited by Count David; 11-29-2012 at 05:56 AM.. Reason: teetering on the edge of soliciting again...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
View detailed profiles of: