Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 09:31 AM

294 posts, read 544,059 times

Advertisements

Weather is always relative to what you are used to. For someone from Texas, the winter in Spokane is cold. For someone from north eastern Montana it would be like living in the tropics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2013, 01:27 PM

17 posts, read 41,482 times
We live in Palmdale, CA (high desert) and are thinking about Spokane. Talk about Alaska, I lived there for forty years. I had to move out because the long harsh winters were too tough on my Raynauds disease. Looks like Spokane has VERY mild winters compared to there. This bloody hot weather of SoCal is killing us. We're retired so a job isn't important. The housing costs are more important to us and it sounds like we can get a nice small place for a reasonable price and have fun enjoying the great outdoors. We thought about FL for a while but feel the humidity would kill us.
Fred

Old 03-19-2013, 11:42 AM

101 posts, read 222,138 times
Good for you Wolfhound. Sounds like Spokane might be a great fit. I'm sure you'll be happy to hear about the "best place to retire on $100/day" thread. Spokane really is a great place to enjoy outdoors and decent living expenses, especially housing. I hope to see you here soon and best of luck with your transition.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:44 AM

17 posts, read 34,541 times
Wolfhound, SOOOOOO glad to hear that you have ruled out Florida, I lived in the Puget Sound area for 23 year's, originally from California, but left there as a teenager in the late 70's with my parents. Left WA in 2000 to be closer to family, I have been "trapped" in Florida for the last twelve years as my Mom moved here , she was sick so our whole family moved to help her, she has since passed, I despise it here, now my only problem's is convincing my 23 year Daughter that a move back to her "Home" state would be in everyone best interest, lol.... still working on her but hitting a brick wall, I'd go without her but am too close to her as she is an only child, I would LOVE to get out of this HUMID, FLAT, BORING state, and leave all the honking obnoxious rude people behind....get back to the place that I love, and all of the hiking and camping that I used to do.... Trust me Florida is not a good place for anyone that has lived on the west coast

Old 04-09-2013, 01:09 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys. I went to Vietnam back in the early seventies for "Fun Travel and Adventure" and didn't really care for the hot humid climate there. I am very leery of the Florida heat. Also, at some time it will probably become part of the ocean and then where would we be???

Old 04-10-2013, 06:56 AM

11 posts, read 42,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfhound View Post
We live in Palmdale, CA (high desert) and are thinking about Spokane. Talk about Alaska, I lived there for forty years. I had to move out because the long harsh winters were too tough on my Raynauds disease. Looks like Spokane has VERY mild winters compared to there. This bloody hot weather of SoCal is killing us. We're retired so a job isn't important. The housing costs are more important to us and it sounds like we can get a nice small place for a reasonable price and have fun enjoying the great outdoors. We thought about FL for a while but feel the humidity would kill us.
Fred

How severe is your raynauds? I know someone with it in the area and it definitely gets cold enough for it to bother him. He has a fairly mild case, so he can deal with it.

It is a nice area and it seems like it might be a good fit for you, just don't underestimate how cold it can get.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:00 PM

I haven't had it kick in since we've moved down to California but in Alaska it gave me some fits. Of course we had temps that dropped to thirty below and the weather was pretty bad for about eight months out of the year. I had swelling in my feet if I wasn't careful to bundle up real good. I had to jump in the tub to get back to normal and warm my body up again. I am thinking the weather in Spokane isn't so bad that they have snow on the ground for months on end.
Fred
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area