Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 08:06 PM

85 posts, read 141,937 times

Advertisements

The vast majority of the preceding post is false. The median worker in Spokane makes a hair under $26k/year (which is under the State average of $30k) which averages out to $12.50 an hour. Yeah, that's not a ton, except when you consider that home prices and cost of living as a whole is about 66% of the state average and more than makes up for a slightly lower median wage.

Spokane has had a mismanaged police force in the past, but to say that no plan for improvement exists is asinine. They recently hired a new police chief, have started to hold officers accountable, and have put forth a nice effort toward restoring community relations. Personally, I think Straub and SPD will do very well in the future.

Obviously crime has not doubled. That's a ridiculous assertion. I also believe the prevailing opinion is that Condon has done a pretty good job thus far. Unless of course you would like Mary Verner back...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2013, 01:20 PM

200 posts, read 504,070 times
Default I would love to move back to Spokane

But there are no jobs there. Spokane is an island, located in the middle of the wilderness of the inland northwest instead of an ocean. I left Spokane in 2010 and have saw my income increase 100%. I went to college there and tried sticking around for a few years after graduating but there really isn't much there unless you are a career hospitality worker accepting of low wages, or a health care worker.

It is kind of funny though that after leaving Spokane I am now a retail manager, although a well paid retail manager, but I'm still in retail which is a huge industry in Spokane. Maybe I can get imported back one day .

Old 09-01-2013, 01:35 PM

2 posts, read 38,013 times
Default Because it's a dump...

Short answer to that is because Spokane is a dump. Very depressing place with very few attractions, if you're a country type who doesn't like big city and can live in dumpy looking areas than you might like it.

Old 09-03-2013, 04:27 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,512,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post

...For further clarification, the combined Spokane/Kootenai, ID county populations are about 600K. The two areas are economically joined, even though some Idahoans would like to deny such.

That's because Idaho's bread and butter is tourism. That, and it sounds much more romantic and luxurious to say you went to Coeur d'Alene for a vacation than to say, "I went to Spokane..."

Kootenai County doesn't want to be linked to Spokane due to Spokane's stagnation, crime rate, state regulations and seedy reputation. However, Spokane wants to be linked to Kootenai County's prestige, high growth rate and resort environment. So you have this very uneasy, unbalanced relationship between both places with the vast majority of the "uneasiness" coming from Kootenai County, not Spokane!

In 2011, the federal government OMB wedded them together as the Spokane-Coeur d'Alene Metropolitan Statistical Area, regardless. It was a "forced marriage" or a "marriage in name only"...lol

Last edited by kttam186290; 09-03-2013 at 04:36 PM..

Old 10-26-2013, 12:47 PM

8 posts, read 23,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkmzo View Post
Short answer to that is because Spokane is a dump. Very depressing place with very few attractions, if you're a country type who doesn't like big city and can live in dumpy looking areas than you might like it.
Believe this. ^^^

Statistics can only get you so far...most things look better on paper. And as far as all the stuff to do, notice it's 98% summer/outdoorsy stuff. Better hope you can quit your job for the roughly two-ish months of summer so you can fit it all in!!

I don't know if the OP went to Spokane in July as stated, but I went there three years ago in June and ended up moving there because JUNE WAS GORGEOUS!! It totally detracts from what Spokane's truth really is: it's a sad place that unless you're totally prepared, it will turn your life upside down and leave you flat broke. There are no jobs unless you're in health care or maybe a teacher. Someone mentioned retail as a big business there; it's SO not. Groceries, yes, but anything else is peanuts.

So many people I met there came from smaller places in eastern WA, so the 'big city' feel (understand that it is strictly a FEEL, there's nothing big city about it. At all.) was over the top to them. Go there from anywhere smaller and look the he(l)(l) out!! You'll wonder why you did it every. single. day.

Spokane=OK place to visit.

Old 11-21-2013, 08:14 AM

21 posts, read 53,082 times
Maybe its just me, but when I Lived in Spokane for a year (Fairchild AFB), It seemed like the safest place I'd ever been. I am from NC. Have lived in VA and FL, as well. I am a young white female and I never felt scared to go out alone, even at night. I think Spokane is a beautiful area, a little too cold for my taste, and not as big as I would hope, but a very good place to live. Trust me...I've been to almost every state. Spokane is definitely not the worst place to live.

Old 11-21-2013, 06:06 PM

20,170 posts, read 24,240,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
In 2011, the federal government OMB wedded them together as the Spokane-Coeur d'Alene Metropolitan Statistical Area, regardless. It was a "forced marriage" or a "marriage in name only"...lol
Not unlike eastern and western Washington, northern and southern Idaho, and numerous other incongruous geographical pairings.

The underlying rationale for the accuracy of your post is that proportionately more wealthy Californians migrated to CDA than to Spokaloo...attracted by cheaper land, lower taxes, and more photogenic scenery.

Old 11-21-2013, 06:23 PM

13,824 posts, read 29,791,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
The underlying rationale for the accuracy of your post is that proportionately more wealthy Californians migrated to CDA than to Spokaloo...attracted by cheaper land, lower taxes, and more photogenic scenery.
and less __________.

Old 11-21-2013, 06:54 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,255,054 times
U got that right!

Old 11-21-2013, 07:35 PM

20,170 posts, read 24,240,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
and less __________.
Damn, David. I have no idea how to fill in your blank.

Buffet restaurants?

Used singlewide lots?

Mean old white guys named Yeledaf?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area