Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2013, 01:44 PM

2,505 posts, read 2,326,190 times

Advertisements

Is Spokane ready for an centrist, independent, or third party?

Over the years I went from being a conservative to a liberal and now I'm a centrist.

I've been looking for a rational and common sense party or political group in the area, they seem to be nonexistent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2013, 02:37 PM

85 posts, read 142,409 times
Rational political group? Isn't that an oxymoron? Spokane is somewhat different in that you have the majority of the population leaning right, a large education industry on the left, and an established military/federal contingent that I would say is generally center-right.

I am personally Libertarian and they seem fairly active in the local area. It's not my cup of tea, and I doubt it is yours either, but the Tea Party also seems to have a strong following in the area. I certainly wouldn't call Spokane a center oriented political environment, but it is much more centrally aligned than North Idaho or the West side.

Old 07-28-2013, 11:31 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,589,306 times
I see a LOT of Osama/Biden-2012 stickers.

Old 07-29-2013, 07:31 AM

2,251 posts, read 3,270,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raison_d'etre View Post
Is Spokane ready for an centrist, independent, or third party?

Over the years I went from being a conservative to a liberal and now I'm a centrist.

I've been looking for a rational and common sense party or political group in the area, they seem to be nonexistent.
In my experience, Spokane isn't overly political either way. It is certainly right-of-center, but that is true of the vast majority of small to mid sized towns in the West (except on the coast, of course). Unless you are in the habit of actively and publicly bashing others' political views, I doubt anyone will confront you in Spokane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
I see a LOT of Osama/Biden-2012 stickers.
LOL! Was that on purpose?

Old 08-01-2013, 08:44 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,326,022 times
There are basically three groups in Spokane:

1. Lefties who yearn to make Spokane a chilly blue metropopolis. See their handiwork in the gentrified Perry neighborhood (which my son describes as "almost Portland"). They're hyper-tolerant of everyone except their parents.

2. Righties who yearn to make Spokane a bigger Bonners Ferry. They worship dogs, guns, and meat, sport scary biker tats, and wear 4XL sweatpants (and that's just the women).

3. Folks who believe in live and let live, spend their days doing instead of talking, and refuse to allow politics to dominate their consciousness.

Join group three. Eschew politics!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area