Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 02:17 PM

2 posts, read 3,648 times

Advertisements

We currently live in Airway Heights and are struggling with the people here. We have an 8 year old and a 16 year old that find it difficult to make friends. Most people here find it acceptable to do drugs, fight, curse, make sexual advances at a very young age, and are in general quite crude. We have lived in Medical Lake (not enough services), and I've also lived in Five Mile (too expensive), though it was many years ago. We moved over to Eastern Washington 2 years ago from Seattle in hopes to find better weather, and a slower paced lifestyle. My family is having difficulty with the general lack of motivation and common courtesy by just about everyone we encounter in this general region, and yes we do leave Airway Heights to shop, etc in Spokane and the Valley quite frequently. We just want a nice safe environment for our children to make friends where we can find jobs, where our children won't want to move away the minute they finish schooling. We do homeschool our children due to bullying, and the like. We do love the beauty here as well as the weather. We don't miss the constant rain in Seattle or the lack of a winter. Perhaps we just haven't met the right people yet, but like I said, we have been around the whole region and have had pretty much the same trashy, high crime, stoned mentality where people just don't seem to take pride in where they live. We understand we will get some of this wherever we go, but are hoping to find an area where these traits aren't in the majority. Are we asking for too much? Does such a place exist where we can be happy? We really are simple, Christian people that are very laid back and just want to find a nice home for our children. Hoping someone from any nearby northwest location can chime in. We have looked pretty extensively throughout Idaho and like Idaho Falls, McCall, and Boise, though we are concerned about jobs and crime. We have considered Oregon as well, but their homeschool laws seem a bit scary. Any help would be greatly appreciated...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 07:00 PM

85 posts, read 142,391 times
Have you looked into Colbert, Country Homes or Indian Trails? All are more affordable than 5 mile (maybe with the exception of some areas in Colbert) and fairly nice neighborhoods. Colbert seems to be mostly newer construction, Country Homes older but nice, and Indian Trails is a combination of both depending upon the area. I will agree that Airway and Medical aren't the most desirable areas.

Old 08-23-2013, 09:32 PM

2 posts, read 3,648 times
I do agree those areas are nicer in appearance than alot of Spokane. How is the crime though? Are the kids any nicer there? I do know they have that nice YMCA up by the Y, but we are concerned that we will end up spending money to move only to find that N Spokane is no better and then we will have to live with it for at least another year. I have a relative that lives in the Bemiss area, and they only tell us of other horror stories about drugs, vandalism, and attempted child abductions.

Old 08-23-2013, 10:37 PM

85 posts, read 142,391 times
I have no idea where Bemiss is at, but I will tell you that anytime you get out of Spokane SD 81, you are going to find nicer kids and generally lower crime. I don't know where CH and 5 Mile send kids, but I know Colbert is in the Mead district which is fantastic. If you want to avoid crime in Spokane, stay away from West Central, Hilllyard, and the areas along Sprague E of town and you will be fine.

Old 08-23-2013, 11:32 PM

87 posts, read 212,870 times
Well I see airway heights finished going too hell since I left 3yrs ago. I just came back too spokane last year and please know YOUR NOT ALONE in not making friends . Im middle aged kinda and christian and beat my head silly trying here. Honestly I found a key.Find either people from california or back east they actually set and talk with me.And I soon come too find out they too suffer the same issues here ! Personally I know Idaho's benefits for kids there bad if you need there services, schools ( I dont know about Boise) but there worse.And Idaho programs have been getting cut deep since the real eastate fall. I cannot afford big moves but Im going north up too Colville .Small town good hospital and woods Im happy.I know a place that rents nice homes there reasonable too.PM me for the info and maybe ya just made a friend ! J

Old 08-24-2013, 02:56 PM

87 posts, read 212,870 times
The OP is referring to Bemiss Elementary School I believe which boundaries are from the South on Market St too the west which is Perry too North by Rodgers High School. And yes thats a bad neighborhood and no where near the Mead School District or NORTH Spokane ! That's not only close too the bad Hillyard area but the upriver drive area that the lady was murdered not long ago on the trail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustysurf83 View Post
I have no idea where Bemiss is at, but I will tell you that anytime you get out of Spokane SD 81, you are going to find nicer kids and generally lower crime. I don't know where CH and 5 Mile send kids, but I know Colbert is in the Mead district which is fantastic. If you want to avoid crime in Spokane, stay away from West Central, Hilllyard, and the areas along Sprague E of town and you will be fine.

Old 08-24-2013, 03:04 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
I didn't have any problems socially in Spokane, but that must be because I'm Californian.

Better parts of South Hill or the Valley? Liberty Lake? Post Falls/CDA? The nicer north-side neighborhoods that were already mentioned?

Airway Heights would be just about dead last (right above the northern Palouse) of my choices to live in Spokane County.

Old 08-25-2013, 08:57 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,320,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
I didn't have any problems socially in Spokane, but that must be because I'm Californian.

Better parts of South Hill or the Valley? Liberty Lake? Post Falls/CDA? The nicer north-side neighborhoods that were already mentioned?

Airway Heights would be just about dead last (right above the northern Palouse) of my choices to live in Spokane County.
Unless you were a convicted felon or a blackjack dealer, that is. Then you could walk to work.

Old 08-26-2013, 12:26 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Unless you were a convicted felon or a blackjack dealer, that is. Then you could walk to work.
Well, my "plan" when I return to Spokane, is to spend my days playing poker at Northern Quest, whilst living somewhere on Sunset Hill, and commuting to my job at the Taco Bell downtown, either by foot, or by bike.

Old 08-26-2013, 08:03 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,320,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Well, my "plan" when I return to Spokane, is to spend my days playing poker at Northern Quest, whilst living somewhere on Sunset Hill, and commuting to my job at the Taco Bell downtown, either by foot, or by bike.
Sounds like a plan. At least you'll stay slim and trim.

Unless you eat at work, that is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area