Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 05:36 PM

154 posts, read 309,769 times

Advertisements

My wife, son and I are flying out to Spokane / CDA in 3 weeks to check it out since we plan on moving there at the end of the year. I've done a bit of research on CDA but we just recently became interested in the Spokane area since there's no income tax.

Can you guys recommend some areas or neighborhoods to check out?

We want to rent a place for a year before we buy. We home school our son so schools aren't an issue but good schools never hurt. We'd rather a place on the outskirts of town with outdoor activities close by. Maybe an acre or two.

Also is the weather pretty similar to CDA?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 07:06 PM

85 posts, read 142,391 times
Weather is fairly similar. I am a bit biased to my own neighborhood, but would recommend Colbert. What sort of budget are you looking at for renting and possibly buying?

Old 08-23-2013, 09:28 PM

Thanks, for rent maybe $1500 a month.. and to buy later on maybe $300k. it all depends on our income then

Old 08-23-2013, 10:31 PM

85 posts, read 142,391 times
In that range you can look anywhere in Spokane. Check Colbert, Country Homes, Indian Trails, 5 Mile, and the South Hill. With that budget you could also check outlying areas like Liberty Lake.

Old 08-24-2013, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustysurf83 View Post
In that range you can look anywhere in Spokane. Check Colbert, Country Homes, Indian Trails, 5 Mile, and the South Hill. With that budget you could also check outlying areas like Liberty Lake.
Thanks for all the info!

Old 08-29-2013, 02:42 PM

101 posts, read 222,138 times
I second the Colbert area. Also the Mt. Spokane area and Peone prarie close by there. Rentals are hard to come by if you're looking to rent a house, but there are some very nice apartment homes too that would be within your budget. The schools are truly top notch, and have a very good home school program so the kiddos can participate in sports and other events in the school district. Liberty Lake is booming, but a lot more expensive. Plus it's hard to find any acreage there. Greenacres or south Spokane Valley may be more your style. It's real close to Liberty Lake but larger lots and more properties with acreage. Schools are very good there too. I'm not a huge fan of the south hill because of prices and the hit and miss schools, plus the roads are kind of confusing and just a mess in the winter. I'd still recommend checking out all the areas as each have a lot to offer. Best of luck with your search and I hope you enjoy the Spokane area.

Old 08-29-2013, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buyandsell509 View Post
I second the Colbert area. Also the Mt. Spokane area and Peone prarie close by there. Rentals are hard to come by if you're looking to rent a house, but there are some very nice apartment homes too that would be within your budget. The schools are truly top notch, and have a very good home school program so the kiddos can participate in sports and other events in the school district. Liberty Lake is booming, but a lot more expensive. Plus it's hard to find any acreage there. Greenacres or south Spokane Valley may be more your style. It's real close to Liberty Lake but larger lots and more properties with acreage. Schools are very good there too. I'm not a huge fan of the south hill because of prices and the hit and miss schools, plus the roads are kind of confusing and just a mess in the winter. I'd still recommend checking out all the areas as each have a lot to offer. Best of luck with your search and I hope you enjoy the Spokane area.
Thanks I'll let you guys know what we find

Old 08-30-2013, 11:10 AM

1,939 posts, read 2,161,357 times
When we last relocated, I use google earth to preview all kinds of areas. It was really helpful. I was able to knock off entire towns from my list doing that, and my opinion of these areas didn't change when I arrived in person. We were able to maximize our time when touring the area and have a very profitable visit looking only at areas we knew were interested in. I would certainly recommend doing something like this before you come because IMVHO the Cda area is quite different from the Spokane area. The Valley looks like a lot of sprawl to me and not very attractive sprawl at that. We used to come over the line from Idaho to Washington to shop, but several years ago this became unnecessary. My DH worked in Spokane, but we lived in Hayden. We just liked it so much better. The income tax conversation comes up once in a while, but it all evens out between the two and in 13 years I never knew one person who moved from Idaho to WA because of taxes.

I am sure you are very excited about your visit! How long will you be staying?

Old 08-30-2013, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdarocks View Post
When we last relocated, I use google earth to preview all kinds of areas. It was really helpful. I was able to knock off entire towns from my list doing that, and my opinion of these areas didn't change when I arrived in person. We were able to maximize our time when touring the area and have a very profitable visit looking only at areas we knew were interested in. I would certainly recommend doing something like this before you come because IMVHO the Cda area is quite different from the Spokane area. The Valley looks like a lot of sprawl to me and not very attractive sprawl at that. We used to come over the line from Idaho to Washington to shop, but several years ago this became unnecessary. My DH worked in Spokane, but we lived in Hayden. We just liked it so much better. The income tax conversation comes up once in a while, but it all evens out between the two and in 13 years I never knew one person who moved from Idaho to WA because of taxes.

I am sure you are very excited about your visit! How long will you be staying?
Thanks! yeah we're pretty pumped. We'll be there from 9/12-9/17. I've been doing a lot of looking with google street view and I think I see what you're talking about. I think we'll be able to get a good feel for the area in 4-5 days of driving around and checking out some rentals.

Old 09-01-2013, 10:41 AM

2,136 posts, read 2,311,014 times
fleeNY, I hope you can find the time to post about your visit to Spokane, my wife and I are going to be visiting this Oct. for the same reason. Any insight you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area