Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 02:27 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times

Advertisements

Methinks the nay-sayers doth protest a tad too much here.

Spokane is just like any other place in America.

Just hole up in your home or apartment with the door locked and the shades drawn, have your food and other goods delivered (after a long look through the peephole to make sure when the doorbell rings), and try not to go outside between roughly Hallowe'en and Easter, and you'll be okay. Pretty much. Except for the pit-bulls.

Oh, and keep a weapon handy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2014, 08:47 PM

11 posts, read 17,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIbornNBred View Post
I'm getting really tired of graphs and statistical reports. They don't mean bunk, there not here in R/T. And it seems you can't get a honest answer on a city up here or they truly avoid what's really going on. Our year started with the first murder of a wealthy business man gunned down in his home
~~
South Hill Murder Victim Targeted
~~
It's been a down hill run for Spokane ever since, 3 murders after this , 6 drug store robberies , And the list goes on.
~
KREM.com | Spokane Crime News, Photos, Videos - KREM.com
~
Then this Christmas we had a girl commit suicide up in Newport at a park. A second body this year has been pulled out the river.Who would want there kids to see this ? And one of the murders we had was up in Deer Park Wa . We a guy just opened his door only to be blown away.
Now some may think you will only get in trouble if you hang with that crowd. No Stray bullets don't care who they hit. One shooting was at a local Wendys. And the drug store robberies range threw out the city.
Yes this area as far as scenery is gorgeous and the climate is great all 4 seasons BUT if your coming here for a family I would think again. Spokane and Vancouver are under heavy siege with the drugs and sadly I don't see it getting much better any time soon.And the economy all threw out here is going threw the roof ! And I've heard from several there are no decent jobs here.
It seems like all we talk about in moving is climate , jobs , crime in general but we avoid the truth and nothing ever gets mentioned of the people. Well good luck meeting and making long term friends here whatever your age is.This area lacks a sense of community for several reasons.
as the previous poster stated Spokane does have a lot of promise.. Will it come to true ???? No One knows.
Anywhere you want to move find the news channels and read and even better find out of if they have streaming news, get the facts because it could save you a lot of hell. Graphs , chart and statistics don't mean jack.
Ever town of moderate size has murders and suicides. They happen all over. I wouldn't get fixated on it.

Old 01-11-2014, 08:49 PM

11 posts, read 17,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
If I were wild, perhaps. But I've learned to walk softly in Spokane, lest I disturb the troglodytes.

The Troggs - Wild Thing - YouTube
Im glad I got a rouse out of you. You seem be the person who does exact that.

Old 01-12-2014, 09:44 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman187 View Post
Im glad I got a rouse out of you. You seem be the person who does exact that.
Were I not reluctant to get a return 'rouse', I would ask just what, exact, I do. But am, so I won't.

Old 01-12-2014, 05:18 PM

206 posts, read 333,379 times
Friends who live in the area refer to their home turf as "Spokanistan," so that should give you a rough idea of the city from an insider's perspective--certainly no place to raise a family or pursue the finer things in life. I live in a small town about a two hour's drive out of Spokane and have contemplated moving there for it's many conveniences, but the crime issue is holding me back. I've personally had two vehicles vandalized while visiting, one of which was totaled, and if you watch the local news, you'll see the effect of the area's severe meth/prescription drug epidemic in action on a regular basis.

Last edited by jem22; 01-12-2014 at 05:48 PM..

Old 01-12-2014, 08:01 PM

85 posts, read 142,420 times
I am sure your friends have never been to any "'Stan" countries so their opinions are essentially irrelevant. I am sure if that had been to the Stans they would appreciate their home town, but to each his own I suppose. Spokane is a decently sized metro area, bad areas/crime is inevitable. If you want to raise a family pick your spots and you will be fine...just like almost every other 400k+ metro area in the country. I lived outside of Spokane for a long time in an area that I didn't even have to lock my doors. It was awesome, except to do anything from grocery shopping to entertaining the kids I had to drive an hour plus. Ultimately you make some trade offs for the convenience of a bigger city; that trade off is either cost of living or neighborhood. That happens throughout the country. I have lived in Chicago, Texas, Florida, Western WA, and Oklahoma and will tell you that Spokane is the best trade off, therefore I am still here....

Old 01-12-2014, 08:04 PM

And for the record, I have lived in Spokane since 2004 and haven't ever had a single issue with "crime." No vehicle break-ins, home intruders, people messing with my kids, etc. Zero.

Old 01-12-2014, 09:23 PM

206 posts, read 333,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustysurf83 View Post
I am sure your friends have never been to any "'Stan" countries so their opinions are essentially irrelevant. I am sure if that had been to the Stans they would appreciate their home town, but to each his own I suppose...
How very presumptuous of you to jump to this conclusion and deny the validity of my friends' collective experience. When you have to stoop to attacking the arguments of others as "irrelevant" simply because they conflict with your own, you loose credibility in the eyes of those attempting to critically evaluate the situation in it's entirety.

Picking up stakes and moving across the country, or even two hours away is a daunting, life-altering proposition, and people deserve to hear opinions from both sides of the fence before reaching a decision. As I mentioned in my initial post on the matter, I have considered a move to Spokane but am seriously put off by the crime I've personally experienced as a mere visitor. Perhaps you live well outside the city proper, or have otherwise been uniquely fortunate. The vast majority of Spokanites I know have expressed outrage over both the city's chronic crime and the failure of officials to reign in the problem.

Old 01-12-2014, 10:39 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIbornNBred View Post
I'm getting really tired of graphs and statistical reports. They don't mean bunk, there not here in R/T. And it seems you can't get a honest answer on a city up here or they truly avoid what's really going on. Our year started with the first murder of a wealthy business man gunned down in his home
~~
South Hill Murder Victim Targeted
~~
It's been a down hill run for Spokane ever since, 3 murders after this , 6 drug store robberies , And the list goes on.
~
KREM.com | Spokane Crime News, Photos, Videos - KREM.com
~
Then this Christmas we had a girl commit suicide up in Newport at a park. A second body this year has been pulled out the river.Who would want there kids to see this ? And one of the murders we had was up in Deer Park Wa . We a guy just opened his door only to be blown away.
Now some may think you will only get in trouble if you hang with that crowd. No Stray bullets don't care who they hit. One shooting was at a local Wendys. And the drug store robberies range threw out the city.
Yes this area as far as scenery is gorgeous and the climate is great all 4 seasons BUT if your coming here for a family I would think again. Spokane and Vancouver are under heavy siege with the drugs and sadly I don't see it getting much better any time soon.And the economy all threw out here is going threw the roof ! And I've heard from several there are no decent jobs here.
It seems like all we talk about in moving is climate , jobs , crime in general but we avoid the truth and nothing ever gets mentioned of the people. Well good luck meeting and making long term friends here whatever your age is.This area lacks a sense of community for several reasons.
as the previous poster stated Spokane does have a lot of promise.. Will it come to true ???? No One knows.
Anywhere you want to move find the news channels and read and even better find out of if they have streaming news, get the facts because it could save you a lot of hell. Graphs , chart and statistics don't mean jack.

Don't blame THEM.......it's all the delicious tweak in this areas that MAKES them do it!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-14-2014, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem22 View Post
How very presumptuous of you to jump to this conclusion and deny the validity of my friends' collective experience. When you have to stoop to attacking the arguments of others as "irrelevant" simply because they conflict with your own, you loose credibility in the eyes of those attempting to critically evaluate the situation in it's entirety.

Picking up stakes and moving across the country, or even two hours away is a daunting, life-altering proposition, and people deserve to hear opinions from both sides of the fence before reaching a decision. As I mentioned in my initial post on the matter, I have considered a move to Spokane but am seriously put off by the crime I've personally experienced as a mere visitor. Perhaps you live well outside the city proper, or have otherwise been uniquely fortunate. The vast majority of Spokanites I know have expressed outrage over both the city's chronic crime and the failure of officials to reign in the problem.
Any of your friends that compare their experiences in Spokane to the "Stan" countries, "Spokompton," etc should go visit/live in those areas for a while. Sorry if I "loose" credibility but anyone from those areas would love to live in Spokane and a comparison, even tongue in cheek, is insulting at best. The fact of the matter is that both sides of the fence aren't necessarily relevant to every situation. If you have a budget of $90k/$500 per mo for housing...yeah crime could be an issue if you need 3 br and want to be 5 minutes from downtown. If someone is willing to make concessions they can get away from that though, it's all about priorities. If you are willing to drive half an hour you can get a 3+br/2+bath house under $100k. For those native to Spokane, a 30 minute commute is nothing if you are used to any other large metro area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area