Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 11:31 PM

2,919 posts, read 3,186,351 times

Advertisements

Hi there I am looking to get out of big city, and have been looking at N Idaho potentially, along with some other states and cities. Concerned about two things: How is the weather? Is it really very cold and snowy for most the year?

Other concern is Spokane being so close, (although I would have to go there for the VA now and then) as it seems like it is not a nice smaller city due to being economically depressed along with the crime issues, from what I read here and there. Is Spokane that terrible, and crime riddled and run down? I am just going on what I have read in these forums here from others who seem to say Spokane is not a good place to live. I am kind of concerned about considering the area for retirement, due to what I been reading. I am looking at Post Falls and outskirts though to live, and not Spokane. But I am concerned about the proximity to Spokane, and if all that crime and such, will spill over into N Idaho in time as well. thanks and blessings

Last edited by folkguitarist555; 01-30-2014 at 12:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2014, 12:49 AM

206 posts, read 333,332 times
Post Falls is one long yuppy strip mall on steroids. If you're wanting to get out of the city and still have access to the VA you might consider Suncrest, WA. It has the advantage of being in Stevens County with lower property taxes, lower crime, yet very close to the Spokane VA. Sunnier, dryer weather than Post Falls too and the Spokane river and Lake Roosevelt are close for recreation.

Old 01-30-2014, 01:01 AM

I will take a look. thanks. Not sure though, about N Idaho, cause I have a couple of states and cities I will be visiting starting next week, with boots on the ground, to get a better feel. It is one of the areas on my sort list to research. I will look up Suncrest WA.

Old 01-30-2014, 06:59 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,589,306 times
I don't think Methkane's Tweak-zombies are capable of making it all the way over to Idaho.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:37 PM

Well from what I've been reading on these forums Spokane sounds roughed up. But I know that must be good things there and nice communities. Yet from what I have read, if I were to relocate to northern Idaho like Post Falls for example, with Spokane being only 25 miles away or so, that kind of troubles me and may prevent me from considering a move to North Idaho. Now if Spokane were about 70 miles away or 60 miles away I might feel a little safer and secure in choosing to move to Post Falls Idaho. I know the whole area is very beautiful though. It sure does break my heart to see so much of our America becoming crime riddled drug infested and run down. It is so sad.

Old 01-30-2014, 09:17 PM

1,010 posts, read 4,911,277 times
Yes there are good people and nice communities here, otherwise there wouldn't be close to half a million people living in the greater Spokane area. It's not all criminals and meth zombies!! Actually it's pretty easy to stay away from them, too. As someone who moved here knowing no one about 15 years ago, I now consider this home and it's where I love living. Yes, I'm on the outskirts but I spend a lot of time in Spokane - all parts of town. And just to make it clear, there is no Suncrest, WA - Suncrest is the name of the housing development in Nine Mile Falls that was established in the early '70's - the actual town is Nine Mile Falls and it encompasses an area that covers both sides of the river/lake - partly in Spokane county and partly in Stevens County. A little bit of a rural feel but you're still only about 20 minutes from major shopping areas in Spokane. If you have a job and some financial security, you can find a place to rent or buy that's not in the worst areas of town and you'll meet some very nice people who really do enjoy living here.

Old 01-31-2014, 12:50 AM

8 posts, read 18,191 times
Idaho and Washington State are both incredible places to live, but like anything else, you have to evaluate pros and cons, and consider the kind of person YOU are and what you are looking for.. over the past few years Idaho and eastern Washington have seen an influx of people looking for various things- some are preparing for "the end of the world/the government/sunspots/who knows" and bring their own behaviors and issues, some are "back-to-the-landers" who come either well-prepared or not prepared at all for the reality of the climate/weather/soil and water issues, others are good people looking for a simpler life, etc etc. Like anywhere else, you'll find conservatives, liberals,moderates, religious, non-religious, tweakers,teetotalers.. it depends on what you look as you establish yourself.
Idaho DOES have a state income tax, Washington state does not but it has a sale tax.
Weather can be harsh, the sky grey much of the year but again, it depends on the kind of person you are and what you're looking for.
Tell a rental agent or realtor what you're looking for and mention you do NOT want to be in a high crime area.. they'll help. Rent for about 6 months and get a feel for the various places to live- you can live outside of Spokane and never see a bit of crime- just depends..
Good luck on your home hunt!
A lot will also depend on your own skills and work experience- different areas offer different opportunities.

Old 01-31-2014, 08:11 PM

I don't think I would live in Spokane or even around the area on the outskirts. Read too much rough stuff. I would stay in and around Coeur Delane, Post Falls, Hayden and etc. Only would commute to Spokane for the VA here and there. Just too much stuff in my head from all that negatives I have read in regard to Spokane, people regarding it as Spokompton and etc. Too jaded at this point I think. Sadly. That is if I even choose that region of the USA to retire to. Not sure yet.

Old 02-02-2014, 10:07 PM

206 posts, read 333,332 times
Apparently Kootenai County's crime rate went up 9.3 percent, so Coeur d'Alene, Post Falls, and Hayden are not immune either. Officials have blamed this phenomenon in part on the area's proximity to Spokane. Looks like Bonner County (Sandpoint, Ponderay) have an unusually high rate as well: High crime in North Idaho - Coeur d'Alene Press: Local News

Old 02-05-2014, 04:26 PM

1,989 posts, read 2,535,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jem22 View Post
Apparently Kootenai County's crime rate went up 9.3 percent, so Coeur d'Alene, Post Falls, and Hayden are not immune either. Officials have blamed this phenomenon in part on the area's proximity to Spokane. Looks like Bonner County (Sandpoint, Ponderay) have an unusually high rate as well: High crime in North Idaho - Coeur d'Alene Press: Local News
Tweekers tend to cook out in the booneys, like in Idaho. They come to Spokane for the property crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area