Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 03:11 AM

216 posts, read 1,006,360 times

Advertisements

I moved here in January from the Tri-Cities and I am amazed by the differences. The way I understand it is that the Tri-Cities is the odd one out, and Spokane is a lot like the rest of the state. But since I've only lived here and there, I can only compare the two.

1) Why is lawn and home upkeep such a challenge for so many residents? I'm not saying NO ONE takes care of their lawns but I've noticed that throughout most of the city (with the exception of alot of the South Hill) there is a prevalence of houses falling apart with overgrown lots strewn with trash and beat up furniture. Of course there is a varying degree of this lack of upkeep and everywhere in the city you can see homes where the pride of ownership is very high. I get that people are busy or have better things to do with their money (been there) It just seems more common than I think is normal and I wonder why?

2) People here seem less concerned with appearances. In my hometown, there is some pressure to go out wearing daytime clothes and to look clean and well-groomed. I have a friend here from the same city as me who felt the need to wear makeup there everyday, but here she doesn't care most days. I see alot of people looking like they just fell out of bed. Some people have off days, and I dont expect people to look like movie stars. Not sure what to make of this.

3) People here are alittle more cold and rude. Not to say people aren't friendly, but I have been treated and seen others treated very rudely at a much higher rate than I'm used to. At a store a pregnant woman was asking to use a cell phone because her car had broken down, unfortunatly mine was dead. The man next to me replied with "Why the f--- are you talking to me?!" before walking away. Fortunately a sales rep let her borrow a phone. I was also at another store and asked a woman if she knew where an item was. She responded by chanting go away in a pretty chilling voice. These aren't the only incidents.

I've gotta say I enjoy living in this city. It has alot to offer and in spite of my above comments I think it's a great place. The city is beautiful and is filled with interesting and great people. None of these things are actually the majority, but they do seem widespread and I'm curious for input. I hope I don't sound rude or snobby as that is not my intention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2014, 07:45 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,320,493 times
Perhaps the lack of radioactivity makes Spokane seem cold compared to the glamorous Tri-Cities.

And hey. At least none of the high schools in Spokane has a nuclear mushroom cloud as their mascot...

Old 06-13-2014, 09:09 AM

1,010 posts, read 4,910,134 times
I think it's very neighborhood and economically dependent. The people who have jobs & income are better equipped to care for their properties and themselves. Folks who don't have a lot going for them can't even feed themselves, so their yards will not be high on the priority list and they probably aren't as likely to dress well. I think I've said this before, but the Spokane area has an economically wide variety of people - the "haves" and the "have nots". There are friendly people on both ends of the spectrum, and also rude & mean people in both. Make it a game and try to get the grumps to smile and talk to you

Old 06-13-2014, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyK View Post
Make it a game and try to get the grumps to smile and talk to you
Yeah, especially downtown near the bus terminal. Hint: keep a roll of small bills handy.

Old 06-13-2014, 06:17 PM

143 posts, read 406,396 times
Well, you moved into an inbreeding white trash methhead hick redneck degenerate alcoholic human waste foodstamp dumpsterdiving fatass ugly gene cesspool welfare capital of the state and you're complaining that it doesn't look like Park Avenue, NYC?

Right...

Old 06-13-2014, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mounty View Post
Well, you moved into an inbreeding white trash methhead hick redneck degenerate alcoholic human waste foodstamp dumpsterdiving fatass ugly gene cesspool welfare capital of the state and you're complaining that it doesn't look like Park Avenue, NYC?

Right...
Mounty, you've been consorting with tickyul again, haven't you?

Tell you what. Come to the Swamp tavern tomorrow afternoon to their live music festival. My son's band is playing. Identify yourself and I'll buy you a beer or two.

applcr0331, you're invited , too!

http://www.yelp.com/biz/swamp-tavern-spokane

Old 06-14-2014, 05:12 AM

30,350 posts, read 19,122,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mounty View Post

Right...
Okay there are an unusually large number of people in Spokane meeting that description. How did it get that way?

BTW, I also like Spokane and know some great people there so not trying to be a troll.

Old 06-14-2014, 07:03 PM

Man, you guys should have come. It was a blast. A whole bunch of crummified classic cars (and a few well-done restoration and super-deep paint jobs), vintage motorcycles, and interesting bands. My sons and I had a good time, which we will continue as we watch the world cup games on Fathers Day Eve. We're all fathers now, which means they aren't quite as cocky any more

DEPARTMENT OF MASSIVE UNDERSTATEMENT: Sure do wish it was a little warmer, though.

Old 06-15-2014, 10:41 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Man, you guys should have come. It was a blast. A whole bunch of crummified classic cars (and a few well-done restoration and super-deep paint jobs), vintage motorcycles, and interesting bands. My sons and I had a good time, which we will continue as we watch the world cup games on Fathers Day Eve. We're all fathers now, which means they aren't quite as cocky any more

DEPARTMENT OF MASSIVE UNDERSTATEMENT: Sure do wish it was a little warmer, though.
Glad you had a good time Yeledaf.

I would have showed up.

Old 06-16-2014, 09:39 AM

1,989 posts, read 2,534,376 times
Crap, I missed it. Sounds like fun...what kind of band?

The Swamp is a scary looking place from the outside. eeck!

I've heard its a fun little joint though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area