Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 01:51 AM

28 posts, read 81,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infidel View Post
While I count myself as one of Spokane's harsher critics, I must say the assertsions of crime/danger are mostly nonsense. I've lived here since 2003 and I can't think of a single part of the city I'd be afraid to walk through, even at night. What crime there is here tends to be property crime such as car thefts and garage break-ins. In my 11 years here as a home-owner I've had a single incident, a garage break-in and my bike stolen while I was away for 3 months. Any assertions that you'd have to watch your back while shopping are complete rubbish.

If you live in Newport you can shoot down Hwy 2 and shop at "the Y" in Spokane where you'll find your usual strip-mally places like Target and Walmart and Home Depot and Starbucks and Best Buy. Inside the Rosauers supermarket there is a "Huckleberries North" which might satisfy any boutique grocery needs you might have, but for the real thing you have to go to the South Hill store (very nice, recommended). The food co-op is downtown if you're into that sort of thing (but Sandpoint has a very nice little one) and there's a Trader Joe's on S. Hill as well but it's a bit of a drive.

This site/publication might be a resource for you to get a feel for what's going on in the northcountry: The North Columbia Monthly

By the way if you're a bit leery of being an immigrant, don't be. Northern ID (not so much NE WA) is full of Californians and others "from away".

That's really good news about Spokane. There seem to be a lot more shops around Newport than I anticipated, too. I'm super glad to hear about TJ in South Hill--that's in Sandpoint, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2014, 07:33 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,738,147 times
No, the South Hill is in Spokane.

Old 07-06-2014, 09:17 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,319,017 times
Fiddler gonna fit right in in Pend Oreille County.

Old 11-30-2014, 01:27 PM

2 posts, read 5,719 times
Default Some observations on Newport

I work in Newport and live about 20 miles north in the central part of the county. As a refugee from Western Washington I find Newport and Pend Oreille County refreshing. The area is clean, there is low crime (if you the ignore kids running around at night in Newport and the occasional bank robbery & murder), and the people are friendly (not the murderers). This place is not without its drug problems which contributes to many theft issues in the county. There is an occasional bum that sits in front of the McDonald's, but I don't feel too bad about not giving him anything because he is too good to accept food.

Newport and Oldtown, Idaho are contiguous cities so you can enjoy the low Idaho prices just a blocks away for items such as hardware and hard liquor. There are some restaurants; McDonald's, Subway, Starbucks, Golden China (best Americanized Chinese food around in my opinion), Audrey's Café, Kelly's Bar, Micheal's, 2 Pizza Places. The Mexican restaurant was very good too until it closed down for renovation and a new owner. The main grocery store is a Safeway and the prices are fairly high although it has a great selection(and deli!). Many people make shopping trips to Spokane for better prices. I try to support the local businesses when I can, but for most of my family's shopping needs I find myself in Spokane. Newport has a NAPA and specialty businesses such as antique stores and gift stores. Oldtown has a bowling alley, a Ben Franklin store, and a large hardware store and a large lumber yard.

The area has a very stereotypical small town feel. There are many opportunities to get involved in politics and volunteer activities(the majority of people are conservative). There is a local democratic party, but all the local candidates that want to get elected belong the republican party.

There are many opportunities to attend Christian churches in the area and there is a Buddhist Monastery south of Newport.

Housing is priced similar to north Spokane and there are some real good deals. (The local relators like to keep the prices jacked up). There are few large houses that are for sale. Some the high end neighborhoods are Diamond Lake (a relatively wealthy area between Newport and Spokane), the Pend Oreille River, and Sacheen Lake. Many people that move here build a new house because they find the selection is not very good.

The worst part of this place is the winter which can start in October and can end in June. The last few years have been mild, but it is not unusual to get 3 feet of snow during a winter. Although the roads are kept plowed very well, any car that you use on the winter roads will deteriorate pretty fast due to the road chemicals.

Hunting season is a holiday for many people (I'm serious). Snowmobiling and four wheeling are popular and the county recently passed an ordinance that allows ATVs to be driven on county roads if brought up to specs.

The best paying jobs are in the local government (county, schools, state, PUD) and Newport is close enough to commute to Spokane, Sandpoint, and Coeur D Alene.

I can't tell you much about the schools since my child hasn't started yet. The Newport School District has the best quality education in the county, but some of my colleagues have chosen to move to Spokane for better educational opportunities. Many people home school around here.

Last edited by Snowshoveler; 11-30-2014 at 01:42 PM.. Reason: misspelling

Old 12-01-2014, 09:23 AM

448 posts, read 812,474 times
Quote:
Newport is close enough to commute to Spokane, Sandpoint, and Coeur D Alene.
That's some long commuting right there.

Old 12-01-2014, 11:13 AM

2,136 posts, read 2,310,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadoAngel View Post
That's some long commuting right there.
That is what I was thinking. I have not been there but am interested in relocating to the "Spokane" area, and have heard many nice things regarding Newport, however, looking at a map that would be a solid hour one-way in good conditions, yes?

Old 12-01-2014, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK76 View Post
That is what I was thinking. I have not been there but am interested in relocating to the "Spokane" area, and have heard many nice things regarding Newport, however, looking at a map that would be a solid hour one-way in good conditions, yes?
Sure, but keep in mind that there are some outlying northeastern suburbs of Spokane, not as far out as Newport, that still offer some breathing room and relatively affordable real estate/acreage. Check out the Colbert area, Elk, etc.

Old 12-02-2014, 10:28 AM

28 posts, read 81,206 times
Snowshovler, et al, thanks for your posts. It really helps to fill in some blanks. I suppose by "Newport," I'm also looking at a broader reach into Pend Oreille County, with Newport as a little hub and Spokane as the "big shopping" and hospital area. I've also been looking at Elk, but I'm not sure how Pend Oreille and Spokane counties differ for home owners. I'm still researching, and would also appreciate comments about the Elk area. Elk seems to be not too bad for driving to Newport, though it's about an hour (??) from Spokane. One thing I'm curious about is Highway 2. On google maps it appears to be a two-lane highway. Is it in good repair? Does it get blocked with tourist (or cross-country) traffic? Do you happen to know the speed limit?

The snow shoveling does bring chills (pun intended), and is quite the dichotomy from Arizona heat. Thick, wooly skin seems to be in order.

Old 12-02-2014, 07:10 PM

2,136 posts, read 2,310,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Sure, but keep in mind that there are some outlying northeastern suburbs of Spokane, not as far out as Newport, that still offer some breathing room and relatively affordable real estate/acreage. Check out the Colbert area, Elk, etc.

I should have clarified that I have not been to Newport, the wife and I did visit Spokane, CDA, Deer Park, Nine Mile and areas in between. Deer Park was appealing as were some portions of other outlying areas. I had in my mind that Elk was a bit out, but doing a quick check on Google map, it is about 26 miles from Spokane, is that accurate?

Old 12-04-2014, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK76 View Post
I should have clarified that I have not been to Newport, the wife and I did visit Spokane, CDA, Deer Park, Nine Mile and areas in between. Deer Park was appealing as were some portions of other outlying areas. I had in my mind that Elk was a bit out, but doing a quick check on Google map, it is about 26 miles from Spokane, is that accurate?
Sounds about right. Spokane is spread out pretty well, though. That 26 miles may refer to the distance to the city center, which may or may not be your focus if you relocate to the area.

Here's a small, modest property in the Elk area...

38008 N Lakeside Dr, Elk, WA 99009 is For Sale - Zillow
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area