Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2014, 10:27 AM

2 posts, read 3,280 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a place in Eastern Washington to retire to and before I spend the next year looking for real estate, I would like to hear suggestions so that I don't miss a nice community that I don't know about.

I've lived in Wisconsin, Minnesota, N Dakota, S Dakota, Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, and, in Washington - Seattle and Yakima. I'm liked aspects of all these places, but have never quite found "home" yet, so here's what I'm looking for:

Weather: Seattle was ok, but kind of wimpy and boring -- missed thunderstorms and snowstorms. Minnesota and N. Dakota winters are too long and windy. I like western winters where the snow comes in, goes away with a Chinook, but am ok with it staying around, too. Colorado's too dry - I miss water: rushing rivers, lush pastures, spring run-off, etc. Yakima and Tri-Cities is too desert-y for me. I'd like to live near a lake or river, but I'm not looking for lakeshore. If Jan. and Feb. get too dark, I can go camping in Utah for a couple of weeks, but I'd like somewhere where spring actually starts arriving in March (not like MN or ND.) Basically, I don't mind cold, but I don't like wind.

Vegetation and animals: I'd like to be around a mix of evergreens and trees that turn color in the fall. I want to have a minimum off five acres - ten to forty would be better - where I could have horses, goats, and a garden. I don't have a problem with coyotes or cougars or rattlesnakes (plenty of past experience with these), but I really don't want to live with grizzlies. Would like to avoid mosquitoes and no-see-ums, too, as much as possible.

People: I've lived with all kinds. I want to live somewhere that's "real" -- get tired of high-end, wealthy communities just as much as mobile home parks. Have enjoyed living with Native Americans. Rural German or Hispanic areas - not so much. A mix of people is better than living with one group or type. Most of the west is like that anyway.

Amenities: I don't have to worry about schools or jobs. I have to have good internet and would prefer to be on a decent road. I actually like to be near railroad tracks - sometimes those places are discounted, but I grew up hearing trains come and go. I want access to a decent airport - Spokane is fine and better, IMO, than SEA/TAC because it's easier to get to. Healthcare's important in the long-run, but being healthy well into our nineties runs in my family.

My kids have jobs that take them all over (engineering and statistics) so I just need to pick a place for them to come "home" to. As a family, the only "home" we know is Norway, but since my kids are going to stay in the US (or Canada), I'm looking for somewhere they'd like to visit. One of them is drawn to Seattle/Vancouver, but Western Washington isn't rural enough for me. I'm also not a millionaire - need to be able to find acres which I can afford.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2014, 02:29 PM

541 posts, read 1,719,912 times
A mix of it all? I would look at these three areas.

SPOKANE - COEUR D' ALENE -

Spokane would be more like a "big city" in Montana, but with more of a Inland Empire flare to it. You can still get fresh seafood from Western Washington, when it would be much harder to get that in Montana. Spokane still has the "big sky" country around it, and tons of recreational activities whether north, south, west, or east into Idaho. Rivers, hiking, lakes, fishing, skiing, and more is all within reach of Spokane, some within minutes and others a short hour drive away. It doesn't take long to be out of the metro and be in peaceful forests with clear night skies, or in rolling farm fields. Around Spokane you can find homes with lots of land, and you are by rushing rivers and beautiful mountains with all the trees you like. Lots of shopping options whether in Spokane or in Spokane Valley. (Indoor) Malls abound around the city, as well as neighborhood enclaves with grocery stores and other stuff. Spokane has many parks too. Also the small towns in the metro have classic Main Streets as well to explore. Summers are warm to hot, and often dry. Winters are wet and cold, and have snow. In the scrublands region of Washington (not Spokane) it can be quite dull and gray. Some of the best healthcare in the region is in Spokane and you will get big city internet out there.

Near Spokane are many smaller communities that might fit in with your style such as Liberty Lake, Rosalia, Newport, Coeur D' Alene, and Post Falls. Around most of these towns you have either rivers, lakes, and are surrounded by trees. Rosalia is a small town in the northern reaches of the Palouse and might be an interesting change compared to the others, as it lies in rolling hills, but is still near the trees and rivers if need be.

ELLENSBURG AREA -

Known for mainly farming the Central Washington University, Ellensburg is known for being drier then Seattle, with more sunny days, but still having large pines and evergreens, rushing rivers, and fishing options. Around Ellensburg are many smaller communities with not much amenities, but even Ellensburg itself doesn't have any big box stores. It is a town catered to students and community events. Historic downtown Ellensburg is peaceful and a nice change of pace. Smaller towns like Rosyln and Cle Elum might be worth checking out for a more mountain feel of living, and more trees. Right next to rivers and massive lakes as well as the entire Snoqualmie Pass region. Within two hours of downtown Seattle as well. Suncadia is a new-ish community being built outside of Cle Elum and you can buy land or a home there fully furnished, might be worth a look.

AROUND WENATCHEE -

Wenatchee has most of the services you would want, including shopping, medical care, etc. But there are communities around Wenatchee that might fit your lifestyle and wants. Summers are hot and dry, winters are colder and can have snow. Problem about Wenatchee in the summer is wildfires which can cause bad air and blanket the sky. A positive is you are on the Columbia River and close to many great lakes like Lake Wenatchee. Small towns like Leavenworth and Cashmere might be good alternatives too. Leavenworth is more of an alpine small town, and might fit you like for trees, mountains, and the outdoors.

OTHERS

Two other possible options in Washington State could be the Tri-Cities region or Walla Walla. Both have their perks, and if you are interested in them, I can give more information about them. Hope this helps.

Last edited by NWbyNW; 10-18-2014 at 02:54 PM..

Old 10-18-2014, 04:19 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,247,054 times
although I don't disagree with "NWbyNW", I'm not sure that Spokane or Wenatchee would fit your criteria for "rural". Both of these are considered urban areas - you will have to get fairly far from both to be in any type of "rural" area.

Ellensburg is nice although does not fit in your criteria of trees/forests.

Maybe consider Okanogan, Ferry, or Stevens Counties? These may be a little too much in terms of length-of-winter for you, but seem to fit well with the rest. Definitely have thunderstorms and snowstorms, all of them have coyotes, cougar, and rattlesnakes. There may actually be a rare grizzly in places like northern Ferry county, but I don't know of any anecdotal encounters with humans. These counties are mostly a mixture of grasslands and evergreen forests.

Or if internet is very important, Pend Oreille County in far NE Washington is supposed to have a fiber system in place - and is otherwise similar to the other three counties I mentioned - except even more and longer winters.

Old 10-26-2014, 09:06 AM

7,341 posts, read 12,562,420 times
Kwillme, you're describing the Sandpoint area in North Idaho--even including the trains! If you haven't visited the area, you should. You'll be amazed at the similarities between Lake Pend Oreille, the Clark Fork River, the Kootenai, and certain parts of Norway (since you call Norway home). I spent time in Norway as a kid, and coming to North Idaho was like coming home. And Spokane is an easy drive away for one-day shopping trips.

Old 10-26-2014, 10:36 AM

6,284 posts, read 6,928,725 times
There are too many either/or conditions in your criteria. So you pretty much eliminate all of eastern Washington one criteria at a time.

IF you want Google internet without Google....then you are pretty much limited to Chelan, Douglas, Grant, and Pend Oreille counties. Anywhere else you pretty much have the internet that the rest of the US has today. If that is good enough for you can broaden your search beyond those counties. Be careful, with some areas particularly in Idaho and Montana where even the cable internet typical in the rest of the US is missing.

Inexpensive rural land is pretty much gone just east of the Cascade divide. So you will be pushed farther east if cost is a concern.

We landed in Wenatchee thirty years ago when it was a nice, small town. Now we are watching the "poor" people from western Washington move into town raising prices, grid-locked traffic, crime and the other "modern" benefits of urban areas!! AND of course, every weekend millions of friends you never met cross over the mountains to visit you.

Good luck in your search. Our criteria was similar and we found it thirty years ago. It lasted for a little over a decade.

There are some nice areas that meet your criteria, but the high-tech infrastructure is missing and likely to remain so for some time given the current political leadership in this country.

Old 10-26-2014, 11:04 AM

2,251 posts, read 3,247,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
AND of course, every weekend millions of friends you never met cross over the mountains to visit you.
I love Wenatchee and miss living there, but this was easily the worst part about the area. Every weekend from about April to November, the increased traffic (and those drivers' lack of courtesy on the road), and noise/congestion was a big part of what made me move much further East.

I suppose the businesses that make their money from tourism love it, though.

Old 10-26-2014, 12:18 PM

6,284 posts, read 6,928,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
I suppose the businesses that make their money from tourism love it, though.
They do, but tourism is such a small part of the economy here I would rather have the peace and quiet.

My view is that a little tourism is good. Just like a little flirting is good, but when you cross the line into mass tourism it is just like having prostitution on the main street of town.

Getting back on track.....I would get a RV and drive around various communities and make a point of talking to people. You definitely want to find a community off the interstate and major state highways. Lots of great small communities that nobody mentions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area