Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 03:26 AM

3 posts, read 8,136 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

I'm moving up from Vancouver WA and have to do this blindly, I'm looking for an Apt in a good neighborhood. I really don't know any areas in Spokane as I've only driven on the freeway through it a few
times. I won't be working so it really does not matter where the location is as, just as long as it's clean and a safer area.

Thanks,
Melanie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2014, 09:19 AM

68 posts, read 210,653 times
There are a lot of safe neighborhoods, but it depends on what you are looking for:

Close to Urban Center: Perry District, Manito/Western South Hill, Audobon
Outdoor Access: Audobon Park, Indian Trail, Western South Hill, Liberty Lake
Close to Shopping: Most of Spokane Valley, Garland/Shadle
Quiet/Semi-Rural: Indian Trail, Mead, Far South Hill or South Valley, Otis Orchards

Probably want more info.

Old 12-20-2014, 04:29 PM

67 posts, read 155,886 times
South hill or Spokane Valley. Mead is alsp good...up north. South Hill is big. It has about 10 different neighborhoods on it. It is a mountain, not a smallhill.

Old 12-25-2014, 01:42 PM

2 posts, read 5,425 times
Default not Spokane!

We lived there for 4 yrs, as beautiful as Spokane is, it is a crime hot-bed! Drugs are rampant and there is a lot of home break ins. Just about anyone you meet has had their vehicle broke into, mine was stolen once and there were two other attempts. Just to give you an idea, 155 break ins reported just in one month last summer. Yes, it has its beauty, but that's if you live outside away from town. There was a man stabbed in our car port also. He got into a fight with four other people right on our walk way. There is a lot of "trash" there in the local area. I would not live there.

Old 12-25-2014, 01:47 PM

2 posts, read 5,425 times
Default leave spokane

Spokane is bad but South Hill is probably the part. There is a lot of break ins and assault crimes on South Hill. Spokane is a bad a place for crime. People can smooth it over all they want but that state legalizes marijuana and that should tell you what you're dealing with.

Old 12-26-2014, 10:18 AM

20,170 posts, read 24,284,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expokane View Post
Spokane is bad but South Hill is probably the part. There is a lot of break ins and assault crimes on South Hill. Spokane is a bad a place for crime. People can smooth it over all they want but that state legalizes marijuana and that should tell you what you're dealing with.
Yeah. You're dealing with a state that no longer throws young people in jail for smoking weed, thus freeing up law enforcement resources to go after the real bad guys.

Compared to almost any other urban area of comparable size, Spokane's violent crime scene is insignificant.

Old 12-29-2014, 11:58 AM

Hello, Thank you all so much for the feedback. I kept looking my post up and it said zero reply's. I have heard so much about South Hill. Is this broken up into two, North and South Hill? that is below I90? I also heard that "above the Y" I guess that is County Homes or Town and County is another low crime area. But as the post said, "you'll have to drive through a beehives nest of white trash 2x per day" is that a over statement? What about airway heights? or the Gonzage area?
Liberty Lake area seems nice too. IF you like lots of strip malls.

Spokane seems like a nice place to live, but others keep saying what a sh**hole it is. I guess I'm trying to look at my move in a positive manner. I'm handicapped so many places in older areas just don't work because of need of walking up steps. I guess at this point, does anyone know of a good apt community old or new, I'm in my 50 so I look at places as retro

Old 12-29-2014, 12:02 PM

Thank you for the list this helps quite a bit.

How big is South Hill, someone said "its a mountain" any photos out there?

Melanie

Old 12-31-2014, 05:43 PM

2,136 posts, read 2,305,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KindaSortaMaybe View Post
Thank you for the list this helps quite a bit.

How big is South Hill, someone said "its a mountain" any photos out there?

Melanie
There is nothing mountainous about it, it is aptly named a hill because that is what it is. Yes, I have been there and driven across it.

Old 01-01-2015, 10:01 AM

20,170 posts, read 24,284,822 times
Downtown Spokane is in a river valley formed by -- you guessed it -- the Spokane River. The south and north sides rise as you go further in either direction. The south side is called South Hill. The north side is called, uh, the Northside. Not the North Hill. I have no idea why this is so.

The I90 freeway runs east-west through downtown, so the South Hill is to the south of it, the Northside to the north. Not that complicated so far. It gets a little confusing, though, when folks start talking about the Valley, which is located to the east of the city, and extends all the way to the Idaho border.

Most people would agree that the South Hill is the most desirable location, though the far northern suburbs are also quite pleasant.

Last edited by Yeledaf; 01-01-2015 at 10:18 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area