U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 04:02 PM

3 posts, read 32,802 times
Default Spokane, what's it like?

Can someone give me some general info. on Spokane and your honest opinion? I may take a job there that involves alot of air travel but I know nothing of the area. I'm originally from Washington (D.C.) and have lived in Michigan for 8 years and am trying to see if Spokane is a place I'd like to live. I could also live in Portland, OR; it doesn't matter where I live for work as long as it's in the Pacific Northwest and near a major airport. My potential new employer specifically mentioned Portland and Spokane.

So far in my research (only just started) Portland seems expensive, arrogant, and very tough to find a job if my new one doesn't work out. I'm not calling Portland expensive and arrogant, that's just what some who live there say.

Is Spokane a decent place to live? I would hate to live in New York City, but I don't want to live in the sticks, either. I hear Spokane + the city next door in Idaho totals about 600,000 people, so that sounds like a happy medium. How's the Washington state economy? Anyone have any gripes about Spokane? Cost of living and qulaity of schools, and quality of life, OK or no?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2008, 04:17 PM

77 posts, read 255,464 times
Spokane is dirty. Cold in the winter too hot in the summer.

Here is a little slide show I did on Spokane from this summer

YouTube - The Friendly Ghost from East of the Mountains...

Old 01-11-2008, 04:33 PM

5,601 posts, read 11,965,450 times
*heh* interesting vid, treefriend. I enjoyed it!

But to be fair, Spokane does have some nice areas ...places that are clean and nice to live in.

ameri-kiwi, please do a search in this forum about Spokane. There have been several threads here in the past that have had quite a heated discussion on the pros and cons of the Spokane area. Yes, most posts seem to focus on the cons but like I say, no major population center is absolutely bad in its entirety.

Old 01-11-2008, 05:57 PM

3,874 posts, read 10,925,157 times
Scir, nice to see you back! Take a little vacation?
And what's that tricky little gizmo under your handle -- ♂♀*†∞ ?

So as not to pull this thread off topic, I've copied your post to the "Other Topics" forum and responded there:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/other...casey-who.html

Last edited by scirocco22; 01-11-2008 at 06:58 PM..

Old 01-11-2008, 06:14 PM

Seriously, I know you can't tell much from that Youtube slide show, but
Spokane is not a great place...at least from my point of view.

I used to live in Clarkston and Spokane was the "Big City" but even then
it seemed cold and dirty.

I was there in August and I see they have spruced it up a little, but
it's main drags all look like Aurora Avenue North. Car lots. Fast food joints.

If there are cool things there, they keep them hidden.

Also, it was hotter than he!!.

Here is a picture from !-90 heading east into Spokane from August, 07...

Old 01-12-2008, 01:15 AM

847 posts, read 2,800,463 times
where's my friend Kena who always has a balanced response to these type of posts? Isn't there dirt everywhere? I don't think of Spokane as dirty but I don't live in a dirty area either....it's all relative to what you're looking for and where you want to be. I think every town in America is going to have "dirty" areas.
Just had a great evening downtown at Wild Sage for an excellent dinner and then to the Bing Crosby Theater for a production of "The Great American Trailer Park Musical" which was a farce of Florida trailer park living based out of a NYC theater group.
You get what you look for....and there is a lot of good here in Spokane. I'll be here 10 years this year and the only thing I would want to get away from is the cold winters, at least for a week or two just to warm up during the winter. The rest of the year is awesome!

Old 01-12-2008, 02:10 AM

3 posts, read 32,664 times
ameri-kiwi

portland is great but study the area well with a realtor in choosing the area to live in you will never regret going to portland spokane is a little remote
too much to do in portland it is just closer to everything that could be considered fun to do

don't let st helens blow up on you and when you get there go to gearhart by the sea then take off to seattle for the weekend then the next weekend go skiing

then go fishing then hiking then club to your hearts content

if you are single watch out the are a lot of fake chicks looking for a successful person to suck the blood from you

i would suggest bringing your own girl as the oregon chicks are a bit squirmy and some are found wearing bark or hemp for clothes .......whew

i suggested they check the calender after all it is 2008

i found a country girl here in ohio and i am taking her with me everywhere i go

god bless a country girl

Old 01-12-2008, 02:28 PM

231 posts, read 709,593 times
Kiwi,

By the general factors you list, I think Spokane might fit what you're looking for. In terms of size, Spokane is large enough to have most bigger city amenities (good restaurants, emerging nightlife, music, shows, etc) without having some of the drawbacks (cost of living, traffic, etc). Spokane has many very nice areas and neighborhoods. If you like outdoor activities, there are great parks, hiking, golf (cheap nice courses), fishing, skiing (water and snow) etc. I watched the video posted in this thread and found it interesting but I would hold off making a decision based on a montage of road and business signs. As an aside, and I know this is controversial, the Dick's in Spokane is superior to the Dick's in Seattle (more selection and made to order). If you have more specific questions, we can try and help you with more specific answers.

Good luck on your search.

Old 01-12-2008, 05:08 PM

316 posts, read 484,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treefriend View Post
Seriously, I know you can't tell much from that Youtube slide show, but
Spokane is not a great place...at least from my point of view.

Here is a picture from !-90 heading east into Spokane from August, 07...

I see what you mean. Coming from Seattle, what a shock to actually have sunshine and warm weather in August.

Oh the Horror!!

Old 01-12-2008, 05:16 PM

Actually the summers in Seattle are great.

Spokane is so dirty and gritty the 105 degree heat seems
even more oppressive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area