Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2015, 01:16 AM

1 posts, read 4,075 times

Advertisements

Tell me which town you would live in and why. I am new to this site. If you had a family, would one town be a better choice? This site & other internet sites offer much info, but I want to see what current residents of these towns have to say or former residents. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2015, 08:12 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Moscow! (if you have been there you will know why...)

Colfax is a very 'closed' society. (ancestral) and... watch your speed!
Pullman is 98% college
Moscow is more scenic, better mix (homes / schools / jobs / service / residents) and more suited for non-college residents.

Kendrick is better yet! (If you are into 'small towns')
http://www.city-data.com/city/Kendrick-Idaho.html

Old 05-19-2015, 01:34 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
I choose Moscow too.

Pullman is one of my least favorite cities in the world, and I have trouble saying that about anywhere. Colfax is typical Americana, but Stealth is 100% correct about the speed. Don't go over 30 through there.

Old 05-19-2015, 09:22 AM

2,251 posts, read 3,269,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
I choose Moscow too.

Pullman is one of my least favorite cities in the world, and I have trouble saying that about anywhere. Colfax is typical Americana, but Stealth is 100% correct about the speed. Don't go over 30 through there.
Curious as to why you don't like Pullman? I loved Pullman when I was there - I can't think of a better small town for living while going to college. I got sick of school at many points, but at no point did I dislike the actual town of Pullman. I can certainly see why a non-student wouldn't like it, though.

To the OP, I would also recommend Moscow if you are not attending WSU. Moscow has more amenities, a nice downtown area, and probably more family activities than Pullman or Colfax would. I wouldn't live in Colfax unless I were a wheat farmer - there is literally almost nothing else there.

Old 05-19-2015, 10:10 AM

30,355 posts, read 19,128,594 times
Moscow is a little nicer than Pullman but since I work for an International Consulting company, the tax advantages of Washington mean I would stay in Pullman. Moscow is about 6-7 miles away so you can walk, ride a bike, or ride over whenever you want. Colfax is a neat little town but just too small for consideration in my opinion.

Old 05-19-2015, 05:34 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
Curious as to why you don't like Pullman? I loved Pullman when I was there - I can't think of a better small town for living while going to college. I got sick of school at many points, but at no point did I dislike the actual town of Pullman. I can certainly see why a non-student wouldn't like it, though.
1) This may sound stupid, but I had a pretty bad experience with a cop there. I'll never get that out of my head.

2) I don't like the setting. Pullman is obviously in the Palouse, and every bit of it feels like the Palouse. I could never bring myself to liking the Palouse, it is very much an acquired taste. I've been some ugly places, and even Lewiston is a breath of fresh air (bad pun lol) landscape-wise. Moscow feels to be in more of a transitional zone between the Palouse and the forest, odd considering the two are so close. Colfax is at least in a bowl, which felt nicer.

3) Most of my trips to Pullman occurred during summer, and even then the town felt over-dominated by WSU. There's got to be more to it, right? Moscow did not feel that way re: U of I, it felt like a town with a college, as opposed to a college town.

Old 05-20-2015, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
1) This may sound stupid, but I had a pretty bad experience with a cop there. I'll never get that out of my head.

2) I don't like the setting. Pullman is obviously in the Palouse, and every bit of it feels like the Palouse. I could never bring myself to liking the Palouse, it is very much an acquired taste. I've been some ugly places, and even Lewiston is a breath of fresh air (bad pun lol) landscape-wise. Moscow feels to be in more of a transitional zone between the Palouse and the forest, odd considering the two are so close. Colfax is at least in a bowl, which felt nicer.

3) Most of my trips to Pullman occurred during summer, and even then the town felt over-dominated by WSU. There's got to be more to it, right? Moscow did not feel that way re: U of I, it felt like a town with a college, as opposed to a college town.
Well, except for the cop thing, I can certainly understand your point of view. I understand your point exactly about the Palouse being an "acquired taste", but if you live there long enough (7 years for me), I think most people actually do acquire that taste. I love the Palouse, but it is quite-a-ways from offering much for outdoor activities. I remember my choices for doing outdoor things included driving to Steptoe Butte, driving to the Snake River, or driving REALLY far east to get to the forests in Idaho.

And Pullman is a smaller town with a much bigger college, compared to Moscow, so your assessment of "collegeness" of the towns is spot-on.

I guess maybe it's a place that you learn to love over the course of a few years, rather than right away.

Old 05-21-2015, 08:39 AM

1,793 posts, read 1,441,134 times
As a graduate of WSU, I'd choose Moscow over Pullman...but the state income tax would come into play for me as well.

Colfax? Nope I hate those cops there, hate 'em.

Old 05-21-2015, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrafficCory View Post
As a graduate of WSU, I'd choose Moscow over Pullman...but the state income tax would come into play for me as well.

Colfax? Nope I hate those cops there, hate 'em.
I don't know what happened to David concerning the cops, but you can't really blame the LEO's around Colfax/Pullman for being a--holes. They have to put up with a bunch of entitled students from Western WA, Spokane, Tri-Cities, etc., speeding through their towns and not really caring about anything - since they don't plan on sticking around in the community for long.

Old 05-21-2015, 02:41 PM

1,793 posts, read 1,441,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
I don't know what happened to David concerning the cops, but you can't really blame the LEO's around Colfax/Pullman for being a--holes. They have to put up with a bunch of entitled students from Western WA, Spokane, Tri-Cities, etc., speeding through their towns and not really caring about anything - since they don't plan on sticking around in the community for long.
I suppose. I graduated with a couple of window lickers and I imagine people who meet them, and find out they're Coug Alum, lowers the value your and my degrees a bit...but those cops sure seemed a bit...prickish for just pulling over speeders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area