Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 12:11 AM

206 posts, read 333,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
Totally agree. For the short time that I lived in Western Washington, I can't count the number of people from over there that commented that they were willing to give-up a well-paying job in order to move to Eastern Washington.
Really? I grew up in Western Washington and I can count on one hand….actually, one finger, how many wanted to move to this side of the state. It simply doesn't come up in normal course of conversation for Coasters, so your claim you encountered "countless" people during a short stay who were willing to forsake high income and breathtaking scenery to move here is questionable, at best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2015, 07:47 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,488,320 times
I don't see why eastern Warshingtonians call the Puget Sound "the coast" and those that live in western Warshington "coasters". As someone born in Seattle and raised in Edmonds I find it goofy that they think the Puget Sound region is the coast. It's not the coast it's Puget Sound - inland waters of the Pacific Ocean! Hello!

Anyone else find that annoying?

Old 11-30-2015, 02:36 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,269,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jem22 View Post
Really? I grew up in Western Washington and I can count on one hand….actually, one finger, how many wanted to move to this side of the state. It simply doesn't come up in normal course of conversation for Coasters, so your claim you encountered "countless" people during a short stay who were willing to forsake high income and breathtaking scenery to move here is questionable, at best.
Okay...

Why would I lie about that?

There are posts on this forum that have claimed that 60% of homes in Okanogan County and 50% of homes in Chelan County are owned by people from Western Washington. I don't know that exact reference, but having grown up in Winthrop, and lived in Wenatchee - I certainly don't doubt those numbers. Clearly, people from Western WA ARE moving over here.

Old 11-30-2015, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
I don't see why eastern Warshingtonians call the Puget Sound "the coast" and those that live in western Warshington "coasters". As someone born in Seattle and raised in Edmonds I find it goofy that they think the Puget Sound region is the coast. It's not the coast it's Puget Sound - inland waters of the Pacific Ocean! Hello!

Anyone else find that annoying?
It's no different than someone from New York (or any other distant city) assuming that everyone from Washington State lives on a houseboat, since it rains so much here. The town I grew-up in Washington gets about 12 inches of rain per year.

Old 11-30-2015, 02:57 PM

14 posts, read 16,232 times
Another quick question. I have been reading around the forums and I've heard that it is hard for someone new to Spokane to get a job in the start and that they prefer to hire their people from Spokane above newcomers. Just wondering if that is at all true or a total exaggeration.

Old 11-30-2015, 04:56 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,739,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkSnowflake View Post
Another quick question. I have been reading around the forums and I've heard that it is hard for someone new to Spokane to get a job in the start and that they prefer to hire their people from Spokane above newcomers. Just wondering if that is at all true or a total exaggeration.
Never heard anything like this and no one I know who works in Spokane and comes from elsewhere has ever mentioned such a thing. Sounds like baloney to me.

Old 11-30-2015, 06:17 PM

14 posts, read 16,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
Never heard anything like this and no one I know who works in Spokane and comes from elsewhere has ever mentioned such a thing. Sounds like baloney to me.
Happy to hear.

Old 11-30-2015, 08:16 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,320,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
Okay...

Why would I lie about that?

There are posts on this forum that have claimed that 60% of homes in Okanogan County and 50% of homes in Chelan County are owned by people from Western Washington. I don't know that exact reference, but having grown up in Winthrop, and lived in Wenatchee - I certainly don't doubt those numbers. Clearly, people from Western WA ARE moving over here.
Maybe. And maybe those are second homes, rentals, etc.?

Old 12-01-2015, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Maybe. And maybe those are second homes, rentals, etc.?
Oh, certainly some of them. But definitely not all of them are.

Old 12-01-2015, 10:44 PM

29 posts, read 33,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkSnowflake View Post
We understand that the "dry heat" of the desert and the "cold Pacific NW" of WA are two completely different worlds and have to be experienced to know if a person can deal - especially grey sky for so long. What we are mostly concerned with is safety, jobs (entry level), and cost of living. How easy is it to get settled in or is it going to be a major uphill battle?
Actually it's the western side of the state that has grey skies and lots of rain. Spokane has sunny, arid summers (your grass will turn yellow unless you constantly water it) and cold, snowy winters. The snow will probably be the hardest thing to deal with if you're not used to it.

In my experience, the safe parts of town are very safe and the sketchy parts of town are very sketchy, and then you have some parts that are kind of rundown and in-between.

There's also a lot of meth abuse, for whatever reason. But it's not like it'll affect your daily life or anything unless you live in one of the unsafe parts of town.

The cost of housing is very affordable and electricity is cheap due to the hydroelectric dams.

With jobs, it depends a lot on your field and how prevalent it is in Spokane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area