Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 06:56 PM

6 posts, read 21,206 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

I know there have been countless threads regarding moving to the Spokane area. Thanks for humoring me.

My family is considering making a move to the Spokane area later this year. It would be me, my wife, and our 3 children (5, 3, newborn). We may or may not be done having children - lol.

We currently live in the Auburn area where we own a home. I work in Tukwila, but would be able to get a transfer to an office that is in Spokane Valley. I work in insurance and my wife is a photographer.

We are excited and nervous about the possibilities of moving to Spokane. We are thinking of Spokane due to the lower cost of living, less traffic, and my work opportunity. We are getting pretty tight in our current home in Auburn, and the Spokane area seems to be a great place for those with larger families.

We are planning on visiting the area on the weekend of 2/19-2/21. It has been awhile since I have been to Spokane - and my wife hasn't been since she was a kid. Do you have any recommendations of what we should check out while we are there (kid-friendly)? We are mostly wanting to get a "feel" for the area. It won't be the only time we visit, as we are currently only a 4 hour drive away. Are there any particular hotels that are kid-friendly?

Thank you! I look forward to visiting the area!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2016, 08:18 PM

49 posts, read 81,016 times
Hi jungleboogie, I was thinking of a hotel for you all and thought the Oxford suites downtown off the river to the north would be nice, they have an indoor pool and kitchens so you don't have to eat out all the time, #3 on Tripadvisor too. I would also recommend anything east towards Liberty Lake as that is a very nice area to raise a family and quite safe, close enough to work for you too, if you don't want to stay downtown with the kiddos.

You will get lots of great feedback from the folks here on the forum, they know everything.

What is your budget and what do you want in a home, neighborhood and community?

Do you want to be in town with a neighborhood that has it all (South Hill) or in a suburb type community where you have families and drive a few minutes to the local retail centers like Liberty Lake?

Lots of very interesting places to live here depending on your needs and budget, have fun with this and good luck to you. We are recent transplants and are hot off the search so just wanted to help if we can.

You will like it out east if you are tired of the grind, for us it was calming moving to a smaller community than we live in out in the Midwest, nothing like Seattle, but my wife was born and raised in Seattle and we left there 13 years ago roughly and would not return.

Old 02-05-2016, 11:35 AM

Thanks for the recommendations!

If we move, we plan on renting for a few months to get acquainted with the area. Once we have a greater idea of how my job is going after a transfer, we will look into buying a home. Our house in Auburn is worth $300k - but the equivalent in the Spokane area is probably $150k. We will have a decent amount of savings after selling our current home - so we will have time to make a wise decision. We will probably be looking for a home in the $250-$300k range - which I know there are plenty of options in Spokane.

We will definitely check out South Hill and Liberty Lake. We aren't sure at this point what our greater desires are.

With a bigger family - we feel like we have to work a crazy amount just to maintain a standard of living. ... and working that much lowers how much we can enjoy. I'm getting very tired of my 40-45 minute commute (15 miles) and we would love a slower pace. We simply cannot afford a bigger place in the Seattle area - and I feel as if we are blessed and make a good living! I want to give my family some better opportunities without stressing about how much the mortgage costs.

We are very excited to visit!

Old 02-07-2016, 03:59 PM

328 posts, read 470,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboogie83 View Post
I'm getting very tired of my 40-45 minute commute (15 miles)
I thought that was a miami exclusive o.o

Old 02-08-2016, 10:05 AM

1,793 posts, read 1,433,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsard View Post
I thought that was a miami exclusive o.o

I was commuting an hour each way when I lived in Baltimore. There were people I worked with who commuted even longer than that, one guy commuted in from Delaware for crying out loud!

Some people choose to live farther away from work because they want land and isolation so even here in Spokane you have a commute in the hour long range...very easy to do.

Old 02-08-2016, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrafficCory View Post
Some people choose to live farther away from work because they want land and isolation so even here in Spokane you have a commute in the hour long range...very easy to do.
We don't need land and isolation - actually, we don't want that. It would be nice to live somewhere affordable that doesn't take 45 minutes to get to work. Definitely can't do that in the Seattle area. I know we can in Spokane.

Old 02-08-2016, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboogie83 View Post
We don't need land and isolation - actually, we don't want that. It would be nice to live somewhere affordable that doesn't take 45 minutes to get to work. Definitely can't do that in the Seattle area. I know we can in Spokane.

Absolutely you can. Depending on where you work you could easily be car free in Spokane if you were so inclined.

Old 02-09-2016, 09:59 PM

17 posts, read 54,285 times
I'm really interested to hear what you think of the area when you visit, Jungle. We were there this past weekend for the first time, a kind of introductory visit to get a feel for the place ourselves. We are from Colorado and am considering moving up there. But I have to say, I was disappointed. It didn't help that it's in the dead of winter and Friday and Saturday was overcast and just plain gloomy feeling. Sunday, there was considerable fog in the morning, but that lifted to sunshine, so that did help, but overall, the city just felt kind of run down and dirty to me. It didn't leave that feeling with my husband, so we are now debating it. All I know is when we got out of the airport in Denver, it really overtook me how much nicer it seems here.

Anyway, be sure to report back with your thoughts.

Old 02-10-2016, 08:13 AM

2,251 posts, read 3,245,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socofam View Post
I'm really interested to hear what you think of the area when you visit, Jungle. We were there this past weekend for the first time, a kind of introductory visit to get a feel for the place ourselves. We are from Colorado and am considering moving up there. But I have to say, I was disappointed. It didn't help that it's in the dead of winter and Friday and Saturday was overcast and just plain gloomy feeling. Sunday, there was considerable fog in the morning, but that lifted to sunshine, so that did help, but overall, the city just felt kind of run down and dirty to me. It didn't leave that feeling with my husband, so we are now debating it. All I know is when we got out of the airport in Denver, it really overtook me how much nicer it seems here.

Well, I can't speak to the "run down" comment, since that's totally subjective and I've seen a whole lot more run-down cities in this country than Spokane, IMO. But overcast in the winter is a fact of life in the Northwest. If that's a problem for you, then I would suggest looking elsewhere to move.

Don't mean to be trite but it won't do you any good to be constantly hoping for a sunny day in Spokane in the wintertime - because they can be weeks apart.

Old 02-10-2016, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by socofam View Post

This isn't the place for you.

Maybe if you had visited on one of our glorious days in Spring when the heat is gradual, the dew is sparkly and the days get longer? But, in this area you have to earn those days. You earn it by being stuck in the 25" inches of snow we got in December. And you earn it by being intelligent enough to know that weather changes and three days in February do not define an area year round.

Or perhaps just go somewhere else...sunny all year round is ---------> that way *points to SoCal*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area