Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2016, 09:13 AM

20,170 posts, read 24,240,102 times

Advertisements

Seriously, folks. Mid-March and it's still freezing? And raining? Scraping your windshield on St. Patrick's day? On Easter? Maybe on Memorial Day? And so damn gray, day after day after day, you feel like killing yourself?

We have had nothing but wind, rain, cold, and clouds since Halloween. Including a hurricane that uprooted hundreds of trees, crushed houses, and left thousands of us without heat or electricity. That makes almost five months when it has been unpleasant, and occasionally deadly, to go outdoors.

And don't give me "yeah, but there are floods in Louisiana" or "I used to live in Resume Speed, Montana, and this is nuthin'". Newsflash: we are talking about Spokane. we live here. Right now. And it sucks really bad.

Yeah, I know. "Why don't you leave?" "Why do you stay here?" "blah blah bee blah blah blah?" To which I reply: Like everybody else, I have reasons for being stuck here -- family, friends, work, etc. What I cannot understand is why anyone would CHOOSE to live in this truly miserable climate.

Of course, there are a few chipper Spokane folks who will dispute my opinion. I guarantee that they are either

1. Wealthy ebough to spend their winters someplace where the sun occasionally shines
2. Participate im winter sports and can actually afford all the gear and lift tickets
3. Are heavily into self-delusion as a lifestyle
4. Never left Spokane, so this is the only reality they know
5. Addicted to opioids

Drive carefully today, everyone. Black ice is on the menu again.

And Spring is ten days away.

Welcome to Spokane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2016, 10:18 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,693,617 times
I feel like you must live in a Spokane in an alternative universe.

It's sunny outside right this second. I've thought this winter has been a piece of cake and none of your qualifiers apply to me.

Old 03-11-2016, 11:01 AM

29,807 posts, read 18,665,802 times
I think Yelzedorf is pretty correct...as I enjoy the sun go down over the Med in southern Spain. Summers are quite nice though.

Old 03-11-2016, 11:29 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,693,617 times
After having lived in Arizona for many years, I enjoy four "traditional" seasons. But we might be going back to AZ next January thru March. I can live with that. snow after the holidays is unnecessary in my opinion.

Old 03-11-2016, 01:03 PM

152 posts, read 365,866 times
Hey Yeledaf,

Come on already and make the move to Hawaii. Its 72 with sun in Princeville. Gentle 5 mph ocean breeze. As Tom Sherry would say "great sleeping weather" I'm make you a Mai Tai.

Old 03-11-2016, 01:27 PM

1,009 posts, read 4,895,177 times
What you talkin' 'bout Yel? I've got the windows open, birds singing, green grass and our garden is already sprouting herbs & veggies. Black ice??

Old 03-11-2016, 02:00 PM

328 posts, read 471,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Seriously, folks. Mid-March and it's still freezing? And raining? Scraping your windshield on St. Patrick's day? On Easter? Maybe on Memorial Day? And so damn gray, day after day after day, you feel like killing yourself?

We have had nothing but wind, rain, cold, and clouds since Halloween. Including a hurricane that uprooted hundreds of trees, crushed houses, and left thousands of us without heat or electricity. That makes almost five months when it has been unpleasant, and occasionally deadly, to go outdoors.

And don't give me "yeah, but there are floods in Louisiana" or "I used to live in Resume Speed, Montana, and this is nuthin'". Newsflash: we are talking about Spokane. we live here. Right now. And it sucks really bad.

Yeah, I know. "Why don't you leave?" "Why do you stay here?" "blah blah bee blah blah blah?" To which I reply: Like everybody else, I have reasons for being stuck here -- family, friends, work, etc. What I cannot understand is why anyone would CHOOSE to live in this truly miserable climate.

Of course, there are a few chipper Spokane folks who will dispute my opinion. I guarantee that they are either

1. Wealthy ebough to spend their winters someplace where the sun occasionally shines
2. Participate im winter sports and can actually afford all the gear and lift tickets
3. Are heavily into self-delusion as a lifestyle
4. Never left Spokane, so this is the only reality they know
5. Addicted to opioids

Drive carefully today, everyone. Black ice is on the menu again.

And Spring is ten days away.

Welcome to Spokane.
I have a deal for you

Trade me places. You move to Miami, I move to spokane... deal? :P

Old 03-11-2016, 08:51 PM

27 posts, read 36,617 times
Yep Been here almost a month now. You have to take this forum with a grain of salt. Yes its raining but not the whole time we were here. If i can take it being use to sunny CA weather. Im sure its not that bad for most.

One thing to point out. I miss the diverse food in Ca. At taste of thai right now. Waiting for food since its friday and packed. I beleive only because its the only thai food in north spokane. I do feel the economy is depressed here. Maybe because Bay area Ca is so busy with many high paying jobs. However small buniness seem to do very well here. Im not sure if i regret moving here. But there were many reasons why we left ca. Im sure it be better once we find a home and settle in.

Old 03-11-2016, 09:35 PM

486 posts, read 838,746 times
I can tell if the winter is mild.....

The golf courses are open!!!!

Old 03-11-2016, 09:36 PM

22,577 posts, read 24,379,858 times
This weather here is pimpin.....try Seattle for a couple of years, then get back to me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area