Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 10:28 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,328,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottPlake View Post
Good grief, give it a rest already. Your constant exaggerations about Winter weather here are tired and boring.

Most of your other quality posts are drowned out because you insist on posting this same repeated drivel, stop the inanity.
Listen. I am guessing that you were either born and raised here, or came from another place with long winters. I was not and did not, although I have lived in Spokane for many years -- probably more than you have been alive. Most of the rest of the world does not share your affinity for gray skies and yes, five- or six-month winters (that would be November through March, if you're counting).

Nothing I post is either inane or drivel. Nor, if by describing Spokane's gray half-year, am I attacking you or anyone else, personally. Yet you feel compelled to attack me. Here's a thought: if I bother you so much, just add me to your ignore list. The last thing I would want to do is destroy someone's illusions.

Last edited by Yeledaf; 04-22-2016 at 10:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2016, 11:05 AM

596 posts, read 428,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Listen. I am guessing that you were either born and raised here, or came from another place with long winters. I was not and did not, although I have lived in Spokane for many years -- probably more than you have been alive. Most of the rest of the world does not share your affinity for gray skies and yes, five- or six-month winters (that would be November through March, if you're counting).

Nothing I post is either inane or drivel. Nor, if by describing Spokane's gray half-year, am I attacking you or anyone else, personally. Yet you feel compelled to attack me. Here's a thought: if I bother you so much, just add me to your ignore list. The last thing I would want to do is destroy someone's illusions.

You're lying about observable weather that we've all experienced, period. You sound like someone who has "heard" it rains a lot in Seattle and keep repeating the same thing over and over and over again like a baby paying peek-a-boo with a mirror.

I'm sorry you feel attacked, my intention is for you to be a little more intellectually honest and quit with the outright lies about the weather here.

I apologize if you feel personally attacked, you have a right to your opinion on the weather and I recognize that.

Here's the thing, you personal view of the weather says more about who you are than the reality of the weather in Spokane. And, I suppose my personal view of the weather says more about me than the reality of the weather here.

My objection stands, and as I said I like 99% of your posts, I'm not a child so I won't "ignore" someone. We have a disagreement, doesn't mean we wouldn't enjoy a beer in a ****ty Hillyard dive together.

Old 04-22-2016, 04:33 PM

448 posts, read 813,162 times
Quote:
You sound like someone who has "heard" it rains a lot in Seattle and keep repeating the same thing over and over and over again like a baby paying peek-a-boo with a mirror.
But... uh... it *does* rain a lot (as in, often) in Seattle...

Quote:
Yes, Spokane has better weather in general and shorter winters than Alaska. Who knew? And compared to Irkutsk, Siberia, the Lilac City is practically balmy. But the fact remains that Spokane's five or six months of dreary cold and cloudy weather are among the least attractive things about living here.
I think most of us in this thread are downplaying winter weather because OP is from central Alaska. If OP was from Phoenix, I think more people would be inclined to bring up the clouds and cold as potential issues.

Old 04-22-2016, 05:06 PM

226 posts, read 303,118 times
Quote:
Good grief, give it a rest already. Your constant exaggerations about Winter weather here are tired and boring.

Most of your other quality posts are drowned out because you insist on posting this same repeated drivel, stop the inanity.

What's wrong with that he said? November-March are outright miserable around here. At least the snow is nice Dec-Jan.

"Winter" also includes those gray rainy days in the low-to-mid 40's.

Old 04-22-2016, 07:12 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,594,911 times
Quote:
You're lying about observable weather that we've all experienced, period. You sound like someone who has "heard" it rains a lot in Seattle and keep repeating the same thing over and over and over again like a baby paying peek-a-boo with a mirror.

I'm sorry you feel attacked, my intention is for you to be a little more intellectually honest and quit with the outright lies about the weather here.

I apologize if you feel personally attacked, you have a right to your opinion on the weather and I recognize that.

Here's the thing, you personal view of the weather says more about who you are than the reality of the weather in Spokane. And, I suppose my personal view of the weather says more about me than the reality of the weather here.

My objection stands, and as I said I like 99% of your posts, I'm not a child so I won't "ignore" someone. We have a disagreement, doesn't mean we wouldn't enjoy a beer in a ****ty Hillyard dive together.

Yeah, if winters here in Spokane were 3 months, I could agree with you that griping about them would be kinda odd and whiny. BUT, UMMMMM, Winters in Spokane are LONG.....not terrible, but long and they can get quite gloomy.

Old 04-22-2016, 09:12 PM

11 posts, read 40,965 times
I'm agreeing with Yel, more or less. The thing here is that it's different every year. Unfortunately, Nov-March are usually unpleasant in one way or another. If you moved here in the last year or two, you are eventually in for a big weather surprise.

Regarding negative views about Spokane, it's rather run down in many places . There's just some socioeconomic realities, and a lack of a tax base and foresight here that can't be ignored. In addition, city government has a difficult time approving and executing even the basics.

Get on Google maps and look at the street views around Division, Sprague, Freya or anywhere north of 90 or in spokane valley. Decide for yourself. If that aesthetic meets your needs you will probably be fine...

Old 04-22-2016, 10:32 PM

From my post #9 in this thread:

There are things about Spokane that are very positive: laughably easy commutes and general traffic, beautiful established neighborhoods, a magnificent city park system (Manito is a true jewel, situated right in the middle of the South Hill), and a polite if unimaginative general population. But the winters are so long, gray, and dreary that they almost cancel out the lovely springs (like now) and sunny, dry summers. Almost.

Old 04-23-2016, 07:15 AM

2,251 posts, read 3,270,871 times
I seem to keep going back to comment, and it's probably getting lame and boring at this point, but Spokane DOES have long and dreary, gray winters. To say that Spokane had great winters that are fun and easy would be lying. I don't see the reasoning in denying that winter sucks here.

BUT - Spokane's crappy winters are pretty much the same or on-par with almost every other city in this same general climactic region and/or latitude. It's simply asinine to compare our winters with LA or Miami or Phoenix or even Denver, because no one with any common sense would expect our winters to be like those - we are much further north. However, when you compare our winters to other northern cities like Chicago or Buffalo, NY or Billings, MT, we have downright mild winters.

IMO, if you move to Spokane and are upset because the weather is cold and gray, then it's your own fault for not doing doing your homework when moving to ANYWHERE that is close to the northern border of this country. You can't single-out Spokane for that. It's on you.

Old 04-23-2016, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
I seem to keep going back to comment, and it's probably getting lame and boring at this point, but Spokane DOES have long and dreary, gray winters. To say that Spokane had great winters that are fun and easy would be lying. I don't see the reasoning in denying that winter sucks here.

BUT - Spokane's crappy winters are pretty much the same or on-par with almost every other city in this same general climactic region and/or latitude. It's simply asinine to compare our winters with LA or Miami or Phoenix or even Denver, because no one with any common sense would expect our winters to be like those - we are much further north. However, when you compare our winters to other northern cities like Chicago or Buffalo, NY or Billings, MT, we have downright mild winters.

IMO, if you move to Spokane and are upset because the weather is cold and gray, then it's your own fault for not doing doing your homework when moving to ANYWHERE that is close to the northern border of this country. You can't single-out Spokane for that. It's on you.
Much as I hate to quote Robert DeNiro in Taxi Driver, but: are you talkin to ME?

Old 04-23-2016, 04:21 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,270,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Much as I hate to quote Robert DeNiro in Taxi Driver, but: are you talkin to ME?
Although I know your penchant for weather pessimism, I was really just using the royal "you". Not you, you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area