Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 08:18 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,320,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
I love those signs. What, exactly, am I supposed to do if I have some home grown apples with me? Throw them out the car window? Can't, that's littering. Am I supposed to scarf them down before opening the car doors again?

Sort of like those "Maximum occupancy 49" signs in restaurants (I use 49 as an example, the number varies, and I am not at all certain how it's calculated - maybe someone will post that up) - anyway - how am I supposed to know that I'm "It" as # 50? Am I supposed to count noses as I come in, then turn around and leave if I am the "one guy too far"?

Some Washington lawmakers don't think it through, as to how the damn law is actually supposed to work...
Like the "Affordable Care Act." Premera has just announced their 2017 rates: 20 per cent increase...following last year's 14 per cent increase...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2016, 08:46 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumi79 View Post
Let me ask you a question about WA driving. I think I am missing something. I come from NJ where drivers can be pretty aggressive and the way people drive here just amazes me. I don't understand why everyone is driving on my back with literally no distance between us. No wonder there are a lot of accidents in the winter. I usually drive at speed limit or slightly above.
I don't get it. Is this ride on the bumper of the car in front of you a Washingtonian thing?
I have pulled over few times to let them pass me because it drives me crazy!

I have a hard time saying just which area, in the many areas I have lived, has the worst drivers. But Spokane, wow, it has to be way up there.

I cannot tell you how many times I have been driving around town, on a roadway that has one-lane in each direction, going the speed-limit, keeping a 3 second following distance with the cars directly in front of me........and the person behind me tries to pass me on the shoulder. I don't think I have ever seen that total idiocy anywhere else.

Old 10-13-2016, 11:25 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,488,320 times
And it seems that whenever I read these national traffic news stories that talk about bad driving experiences, Seattle comes in around 25th in U.S. Metro areas. I know we're discussing Spokane in this thread, but Seattle is where I grew up (actually Edmonds) and I learned ta drive in the mid-70's. The Seattle driving experience got worse and worse around the late 80's and never really recovered.

It's where I first experienced the "slow fade". That's when I'm traveling along in the right lane and someone pulls in front of me, without signaling, and doesn't really have all the room they need ta do it. They often go a few mph under the speed limit, then. Huh? How irritating! And why are we too lazy in America ta put our turn signals on when changing lanes?

Old 10-13-2016, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
And why are we too lazy in America ta put our turn signals on when changing lanes?
I have a theory on that. I don't think it's laziness so much as the perpetrators somehow believing that signaling is a sign of weakness; a willingness to exert oneself for the sake of others, even to the slightest degree. Note how many use the turn signal as they begin to turn, not wanting the following drivers to know their intentions in advance. No, it's not laziness -- it's more a symptom of a vindictive, selfish mind -- and it's become widespread.

Old 10-13-2016, 07:48 PM

328 posts, read 473,324 times
Quote:
And it seems that whenever I read these national traffic news stories that talk about bad driving experiences, Seattle comes in around 25th in U.S. Metro areas. I know we're discussing Spokane in this thread, but Seattle is where I grew up (actually Edmonds) and I learned ta drive in the mid-70's. The Seattle driving experience got worse and worse around the late 80's and never really recovered.

It's where I first experienced the "slow fade". That's when I'm traveling along in the right lane and someone pulls in front of me, without signaling, and doesn't really have all the room they need ta do it. They often go a few mph under the speed limit, then. Huh? How irritating! And why are we too lazy in America ta put our turn signals on when changing lanes?
You havent seen bad driving until you drive in south florida... people from countries who are not used to obeying traffic laws ,,naturally" come, drive how they do there, and expect no punishment... sadly, many get away with it

I was pretty awestruck driving in the I-90 in Spokane... best driving experience in my trip... not even driving the lonely US2

Old 10-14-2016, 09:58 AM

I have a theory on that. I don't think it's laziness so much as the perpetrators somehow believing that signaling is a sign of weakness; a willingness to exert oneself for the sake of others, even to the slightest degree. Note how many use the turn signal as they begin to turn, not wanting the following drivers to know their intentions in advance. No, it's not laziness -- it's more a symptom of a vindictive, selfish mind -- and it's become widespread.

I'd agree with your theory, Yeledaf. Makes as much sense ta me as anyone else's idea. Interesting days we're living in, huh? These days will not end well for everyone. There are things going on in the "unseen world" that profoundly affect how we're living our lives now and forever more. It can go well for everyone - if they make the right choices. Walk carefully...and please, drive carefully, too.

Old 10-14-2016, 01:55 PM

Quote:

I'd agree with your theory, Yeledaf. Makes as much sense ta me as anyone else's idea. Interesting days we're living in, huh? These days will not end well for everyone. There are things going on in the "unseen world" that profoundly affect how we're living our lives now and forever more. It can go well for everyone - if they make the right choices. Walk carefully...and please, drive carefully, too.
Wise words. The fact that we as a society so fiercely defend the right of people to engage in stupid, vulgar, and hateful behavior, while collectively rejecting the notion of objective standards of right and wrong, increasingly threatens our continued existence as a united culture.

Old 10-14-2016, 06:53 PM

Wise words. The fact that we as a society so fiercely defend the right of people to engage in stupid, vulgar, and hateful behavior, while collectively rejecting the notion of objective standards of right and wrong, increasingly threatens our continued existence as a united culture.

Bingo - Boingo - Bango. You and I would get along in person, my city-data Washington friend. And I do believe that wise people need to share wise sayings and words as often as they can. Our media doesn't do it - they just report - and what they report causes worry, depression and anxiety. Take good care!

Old 10-14-2016, 07:00 PM

162 posts, read 204,273 times
Phew! I thought I was violating some unwritten WA laws and that's why they were so keen on driving on my back. I guess I will keep just being a decent human being. Hopefully it will pay off one day.

Old 10-14-2016, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumi79 View Post
Phew! I thought I was violating some unwritten WA laws and that's why they were so keen on driving on my back. I guess I will keep just being a decent human being. Hopefully it will pay off one day.
Just affix a flag or bumper sticker with the number 12 on your car. Don't ask why. Just do it.

It's your guarantee of personal safety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area