Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 08:41 PM

13 posts, read 17,829 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking to relocate within the next year and still trying to determine the best possible location for us. We are both 34 and will be starting a family in the next few years, so a safe family friendly neighborhood is preferred, above average school ratings are ideal. A little bit about us – my husband works from home, with the luxury of working anywhere in the US (although he would prefer Pacific or Mountain time zone). Once we move, I will be resigning from my current position to put more time and energy into my side career/real passion of personal training/nutrition. This will allow me the freedom to be a stay at home mom when we decide to start a family, as well as still earn some additional income.

Below is a list of other parameters for our future home location:

· 3-4 bedroom home under $250k (closer to $200k is strongly preferred)

· Climate – coming from San Diego we understand it will be a downgrade in weather, wherever we end up. However, we are both looking forward to actual seasons. We don’t mind the snow and a little rain – but would prefer less than 30 inches of annual rain.

· Outdoor recreation/activities // community is generally health conscious

· Strong preference for walkability – being within walking distance of coffee shops/cafes/breweries/local farmers’ markets would be awesome

· Golf courses within 30 mins as my husband is an avid golfer

· International airport within 45 minutes

· Would prefer a more liberal area vs. conservative

Here are a list of cities that have piqued our interest (in order) thus far:

· Spokane

· Post Falls (Idaho)

· Surrounding Portland neighborhoods (although it rains a bit too much for us)

· Bend

· Eugene

· Tacoma

· Northern California

· Boise

Any suggestions on neighborhoods to look into (or avoid) would be appreciated!!
We look forward to creating a life in a new friendly community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2017, 06:29 AM

2,136 posts, read 2,311,014 times
If you want liberal then eliminate Spokane, Post Falls and Boise from your list.

As far as "walking distance of coffee shops/cafes/breweries/local farmers’ markets would be awesome", does a place like this actually exist? I ask because I have never seen it, personally. Farmers markets typically exist in more rural areas in close proximity to farms, farms typically have little or nothing to do coffee shops, cafes and breweries, but tend to be relevant to urban settings.

Old 01-14-2017, 11:02 AM

2,251 posts, read 3,269,088 times
I have to agree with AK76.

Spokane, and almost all of Eastern Washington (except for maybe Pullman during school months) is more conservative than liberal. If you are not combative about your liberalism and are fine with living around conservatives as the majority, you should be fine though.

Otherwise, (except for the cost of real estate), your requirements may fit better somewhere like Portland, OR. Or I see Eugene or Bend are on your list, they might work for you.

Old 01-14-2017, 11:07 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
IMO liberals don't have a problem in Spokane city-proper.

Lower half of South Hill should work just fine.

Old 01-14-2017, 11:22 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,739,027 times
I'm a liberal living on the South Hill. My neighborhood (Rockwood) had plenty of Clinton signs during the election...no Trump signs at all in my immediate vicinity. I've had no problems at all and find plenty of
kindred political spirits in Spokane.

Heck, I even lived in northern Idaho as a liberal for almost 15 years with no problems other than an ongoing exasperation with the Idaho legislature and their behavior.
I would not recommend Post Falls.
Seem like a lot of Post Falls people I know are conservatives who need to live close to Spokane for job reasons but still want to be "Idahoans" and what they think that implies. And can be obnoxiously vocal about it.

Not everyone...but many whom I know.

Old 01-14-2017, 11:43 AM

448 posts, read 812,579 times
OP, it sounds like you may need to adjust either your climate preferences or your political ones. The "more liberal" areas of Oregon and Washington are on the west side of the Cascades, where it definitely rains more than 30 inches a year. Conversely, the drier eastern sides of the states are the less densely populated, more conservative areas.

If it's the state laws you are concerned about both Oregon and Washington lean strongly liberal because there a lot more people living on the west/liberal sides of the states vs the east/conservative sides. If it's your neighbors you are concerned about, you can find both conservative suburbs on the west and liberal urban neighborhoods in the east. Boise is especially that way with some neighborhoods like the Bench or North End voting strongly Democrat while other suburbs in the same county vote strongly Republican.

Overall I don't think political leaning is going to impact your day-to-day too much unless political life is very important to you.

Most anywhere you go on your list though, you may run into issues trying to score a good quality 3-4 bedroom house for $200k. I'm not saying it can't be done, but you might have to work hard at it to find something that works well for you. The western US isn't known for low real estate prices. Spokane is the cheapest option on your list, if my memory serves from when I was looking at the housing market last Spring in most of those cities.

Overall, I'd say Bend is a good fit lifestyle-wise. Problems are their airport is small and the real estate is expensive.

You might also look at the Columbia River Gorge communities. Hood River sounds like it might be up your alley. Again, housing and/or climate might be a bit of an issue for you but it ticks all the other boxes - outdoor activities, about an hour to PDX, smaller/more walkable communities, etc.

Quote:
Farmers markets typically exist in more rural areas in close proximity to farms
I've never heard of a farmer's market being in rural areas/close to the farm. That would defeat the entire purpose of a farmer's market. Usually when someone uses the term "farmer's market" they mean a regular meeting (once a week, once a month, etc.) of nearby farmers that bring their produce into town. The ones I've been to are held in parking lots or other green spaces - the farmers set up shop for a few hours and sell their wares on specific days.

A perfect example is the Spokane Farmer's Market - which meets near downtown on Wednesday and Saturday mornings during the summer.

An example of what OP is looking for in Spokane would be the Perry District. Short walking distance to several restaurants, a brewery and the South Perry Farmers Market. In the summer time I wouldn't balk at walking downtown or to riverfront park either.

Old 01-14-2017, 02:02 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,739,027 times
adding to my previous post:

My daughter lives in the Comstock neighborhood here on the South Hill and can walk to the local Starbucks, a restaurant, a grocery store (for now) and the houses do go in the mid 200's frequently. this place is a short walk too...with local farm fresh produce. Great neighborhood!
rocket market – a small market of epic proportions

The local elementary school is within easy walking distance in the neighborhood and a brand new Sports complex. Lots of people out walking and running and kids playing basketball and Ive noticed a lot of parents making the choice to stay in smaller homes to stay in a great neighborhood and be able to have stay at home Moms.

Old 01-15-2017, 12:37 PM

Thanks for your comments and reply! Are there any areas/neighborhoods to avoid in Spokane? Also, do you know the major differences between Spokane and Spokane Valley?

Old 01-15-2017, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
I'm a liberal living on the South Hill. My neighborhood (Rockwood) had plenty of Clinton signs during the election...no Trump signs at all in my immediate vicinity. I've had no problems at all and find plenty of

Heck, I even lived in northern Idaho as a liberal for almost 15 years with no problems other than an ongoing exasperation with the Idaho legislature and their behavior.
Seem like a lot of Post Falls people I know are conservatives who need to live close to Spokane for job reasons but still want to be "Idahoans" and what they think that implies. And can be obnoxiously vocal about it.

I've heard/read that Spokane has a big drug/crime problem. As a resident of Spokane, would you agree?

Old 01-15-2017, 02:41 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,320,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post

Yes, those vocal conservatives need to be stamped out. We want only liberals in Spokane. That's REAL diversity. And how dare those terrible folks live in Idaho and commute to Spokane! You'd think the First Amendment applied to them as well as to gentle, reticent liberals...

Good old Tribalism. That's what America needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area