U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2017, 11:36 PM

23 posts, read 15,493 times

Advertisements

I'm planning on visiting Spokane in May.
I want to retire somewhere in the Pacific Northwest.
I live now in Sonora, CA. A small rural town in the gold country.
I'd stay but can't afford a house.
I'll be coming with a blind daughter and dev.disabled foster ( adult) son.
I'm thinking we need to be near a bus line.
My ideal would be a 4-5 bedroom craftsman type older house in an area where we could walk to coffee shops, restaurants and stores. Budget under $250,000. Would downtown Spokane offer this atmosphere?
We were planning on flying into Spokane and driving towards the Oregon border. For tax reasons it looks like Washington is better than Oregon.
We aren't set on anywhere and I'm thinking there may be small towns that are in the vicinity that we may just run in to.
I'd like:
Snow
Close (within an hour) to an airport
Not terribly red-neck
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2017, 07:22 PM

5,532 posts, read 3,683,135 times
Spokane could offer all you are looking for. However, you might consider The Tri-Cities, (Richland/Pasco/Kennewick) where there is a decent bus system, and Uber is now there as well. COL is somewhat less than Spokane, but not significantly. Climate is warmer overall with more sunshine. Snow? Not much, except for this past winter!

Old 04-02-2017, 07:31 PM

Is there an airport fairly close?
I sure wish there were somewhere with a bit of snow. I love it.
But, if I have to give up something I guess it would be the snow.
I'll check those cities out and thanks so much.

Old 04-02-2017, 07:58 PM

5,532 posts, read 3,683,135 times
Yes, Tri-Cities airport, in Pasco, offers non-stop service to Seattle, Portland, Salt Lake, San Francisco, Minneapolis and Denver. Allegiant also offers seasonal service to Los Angeles and Las Vegas. The Delta, United, Alaska service provides one-stops to almost all US destinations.

Old 04-02-2017, 09:02 PM

4,877 posts, read 6,592,050 times
Check out the Audubon Park/Downriver neighborhood in Spokane. Lots of bungalows in your price range and extremely walkable. It's a great area with a beautiful park. Maybe 15 minutes to the airport and on the bus line.

http://spokaneplanner.com/spokanes-b...ubondownriver/

Old 04-02-2017, 10:29 PM

That's great about the airport.
I'll check out the Audubon Park downriver area, too.
This is so helpful.
Thanks so much everyone.

Old 04-03-2017, 11:03 AM

22,656 posts, read 28,672,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmalavey View Post
.........Not terribly red-neck.........Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Sure, I'll give advice because you asked for it. This is not malicious, it is information that you need.

If you are one of those people that thinks that anyone who doesn't think like you do and vote like you do is a redneck, you are not going to fit in well in Eastern Washington. You will not get along well with your neighbors, who are probably not rednecks but are darned tired of progressives calling them rednecks in a scornful way. Californians are particularly bad about having that attitude, and so you would be arriving with two serious strikes against you.

You need to be looking west of the Cascade mountains where the liberals congregate, but where I suspect you don't have a large enough budget to purchase a house.

Old 04-03-2017, 11:36 AM

"You need to be looking west of the Cascade mountains where the liberals congregate, but where I suspect you don't have a large enough budget to purchase a house."

I appreciate your input very much.
I am now the kind of person who doesn't recognize and welcome differences in opinion.
Where I'm living most everyone is stockpiling beans and cornbread, guns, amunition, building bug-out shelters, burying money in heir fields and planning for the flatlanders to climb the mountain to live off "their" land.
I just can't envision killing anyone for beans.
Is it that bad East of the Cascades?

Old 04-03-2017, 12:25 PM

4,877 posts, read 6,592,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Sure, I'll give advice because you asked for it. This is not malicious, it is information that you need.

If you are one of those people that thinks that anyone who doesn't think like you do and vote like you do is a redneck, you are not going to fit in well in Eastern Washington. You will not get along well with your neighbors, who are probably not rednecks but are darned tired of progressives calling them rednecks in a scornful way. Californians are particularly bad about having that attitude, and so you would be arriving with two serious strikes against you.

You need to be looking west of the Cascade mountains where the liberals congregate, but where I suspect you don't have a large enough budget to purchase a house.
Where do you live in eastern Washington?
I didn't pick up from the OP that he equated redneck to mean anything political.
Perhaps he equates redneck with rundown trailer parks? Perhaps redneck means people with couches on their front porches?

Actually, it sounds like you are the one equating conservatives with rednecks.

Last edited by mistyriver; 04-03-2017 at 12:39 PM..

Old 04-03-2017, 07:17 PM

146 posts, read 126,404 times
When I hear "redneck" I always imagine big pickup truck with the NRA decals on the windshield and the confederate flag in the back lol I know it's stupid and I hate profiling people but that's the first image that comes to mind. We have few of these individuals on my street, and we just laugh with my husband when we see them passing by.

We are liberals and I haven't had any issues fitting in our new community, and we live in a small town near Spokane which is probably even more conservative than Spokane. We don't discuss politics with our neighbors, we exchange cookies and meals at holidays, my boys play with all kids and shovel the snow for an elderly neighbor. We have not been discriminated in any way because of immigrant status, having strange names, and being transplants from NJ or whatever.

Mistyriver, in NJ we call the people with couches on the porch and junkyards for yards "white trash".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or