Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 07:06 PM

20,170 posts, read 24,233,017 times

Advertisements

Spokane is so darned cold. If it were even 10 degrees warmer most days, it would be so pleasant.

Look at a map of Washington and ask yourself why everyone lives in Seattle. Sure, it's often gray and gloomy -- but so is Spokane. And Seattle is always that crucial few degrees warmer. Result: Seattle people walk around, often with umbrellas, true, but you nearly always want to get out and go.

Spokane, no matter how hardy you are in the beginning, eventually wears you down, and unless you are prosperous enough to go skiing every weekend, or own a lake home, you end up getting in the car to drive a few blocks to the store like everyone else.

Don't get me wrong -- Spokane can be heart-breakingly beautiful, especially in those perfect autumns which come along every five years or so. But the winters are so long and dreary. And life is so short.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2011, 04:56 PM

649 posts, read 1,760,447 times
ya i agree with this spokane winters are COLD and you trade snow for rain when you move to seattle from spokane, but you get warmer winters; but remember that a dryer cold with snow is much more liveable; imo, then the damp cold of a little warmer but rainy weather, when you are old. but then again you don't slip and fall in rain like you can on icy snow. so just depends and what's more liveable to you. but i prefer the spokane winters with a few more sunny/bluer skys that make spokane winters much more attractive then the dark damp near year long days of seattle plus people are MUCH MORE friendier in spokane then seattle and the cost of living is way way less here as well.

Old 07-16-2011, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
ya i agree with this spokane winters are COLD and you trade snow for rain when you move to seattle from spokane, but you get warmer winters; but remember that a dryer cold with snow is much more liveable; imo, then the damp cold of a little warmer but rainy weather, when you are old. but then again you don't slip and fall in rain like you can on icy snow. so just depends and what's more liveable to you. but i prefer the spokane winters with a few more sunny/bluer skys that make spokane winters much more attractive then the dark damp near year long days of seattle plus people are MUCH MORE friendier in spokane then seattle and the cost of living is way way less here as well.
All true. The money you save living in Spokane pays for a lot of vacations in warmer places!

Old 07-18-2011, 08:33 AM

87 posts, read 211,091 times
I learned my lesson and I'm heading back too Spokane ! I'm from Buffalo NY and I've lived ALL over the USA from the high HUMID heat of Florida too Texas and now the PNWet in Vancouver WA. I'm very disabled now after allot of surgeries and had a offer too go back too NY. So I test drove a theory and went too Spokane a couple of months ago too see how I felt with my arthritis and various injuries. I didn't hurt ! Reason, Spokane's humidity and dew point is allot lower than Vancouver or Buffalo's. Yes Spokane has a winter but I lived there for 2 years it is NOT near as gloomy as Vancouver wa is or as freezing blinding cold and hell as Buffalo !, It rained every day this winter for 7 months in Vancouver and it is still going at it ! And it is July !!!! In Spokane winter I could move. I wasn't "trapped" inside. And the people are friendly and the economy is one I can afford. So with all that being said I'm going back !

Old 07-18-2011, 12:42 PM

1,989 posts, read 2,522,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Spokane is so darned cold. If it were even 10 degrees warmer most days, it would be so pleasant.

Look at a map of Washington and ask yourself why everyone lives in Seattle. Sure, it's often gray and gloomy -- but so is Spokane. And Seattle is always that crucial few degrees warmer. Result: Seattle people walk around, often with umbrellas, true, but you nearly always want to get out and go.

Spokane, no matter how hardy you are in the beginning, eventually wears you down, and unless you are prosperous enough to go skiing every weekend, or own a lake home, you end up getting in the car to drive a few blocks to the store like everyone else.

Don't get me wrong -- Spokane can be heart-breakingly beautiful, especially in those perfect autumns which come along every five years or so. But the winters are so long and dreary. And life is so short.
We've had some rough winters. I can remember a number of them without snow (or at least a significant amount that did not stick). Spokane is nowhere near as gloomy as Seattle. We have FOUR seasons and Seattle has one. The transition from a long winter into a nice spring and blasting into summer with Hoopfest? Theres nothing to compare to it in Seattle.

Seattle is the nicer, more fun and cooler sister. It's a more liberal place with all of the trappings of a large city (good and bad). There's Seattle people and then there is Spokane people. Seattle people look down on Spokanites and Spokanites love to go and visit Seattle.

Winter sucks. Spring is pretty. Summer is awesome-lots of sunshine-without all the humidity (compare my 30 years in Spokane to the naysayers nitpicking of one or two years) and fall is gorgeous. Watching the kiddos play football on a brisk fall day is almost as nice as watching them play baseball on a warm spring evening.

Spokane is not hip, not cool, and most are OK with that. It's a down to earth place with lots of interesting people (even though most of them are *gasp* white). A great place to raise kids, a basketball town, and hard to find a decent paying job in.

Old 07-18-2011, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
All true. The money you save living in Spokane pays for a lot of vacations in warmer places!
ya this is a right on point; i keep debating about moving back to ca; not so ca....NEVER....but around sacramento; it's fairly afforable there; and no snow; but still with increased taxes it'll still be more expensive to live there then spokane......so i tell myself with the money i save living in spokane i can afford to take a couple of extra vacations in the winter to escape the snow!!!
i love spokane because it's green and peaceful, and affordable; but i HATE the snow. so maybe i'll just buy an rv and become a snowbird

Old 07-19-2011, 02:52 AM

Quote:
ya this is a right on point; i keep debating about moving back to ca; not so ca....NEVER....but around sacramento; it's fairly afforable there; and no snow; but still with increased taxes it'll still be more expensive to live there then spokane......so i tell myself with the money i save living in spokane i can afford to take a couple of extra vacations in the winter to escape the snow!!!
i love spokane because it's green and peaceful, and affordable; but i HATE the snow. so maybe i'll just buy an rv and become a snowbird
With gas four bucks a gallon? You'll have to work part-time or panhandle on the highway just to make it to the next town!

I hear you, though. When we finish up in Japan next year, we're thinking about leaving the Spokane winters, moving to Tucson and summering in Spokane.

Guess we'll be Sunbirds!

Old 07-19-2011, 12:33 PM

ya i know the price of gas will be way high, but if you add the cost of motels plus gas for a car and resturant bills you are about equal to the gas bill for an rv; that's if you don't pay stupid rv park overnight fees. you can just park your rv in a walmart for overnight (they have a walmart guide to their stores that allow this for free which is almost all of them), or just stay in a truck stop.....so all you have is your gas bill if you cook in your rv instead of motel and resturant bills you are actually coming out ahead even with the high gas prices rvs are still cheaper on the road. i'm assuming a motel bill around $75-$100 a night. of course you don't consider the up-front cost of the rv over a car............that's the bonus prize...........meaning the advantage of sleeping in your own bed and a much more comfortable way to travel on the road, and having room for all the stuff that you want to take with you..........plus if you travel with a pet you don't have to worry about your pet cooking inside of your car while you are in a resturant............and national parks don't even allow your pet to set its paws on any of their trails, so with a generator you can keep you little loved one cool and safe in your rv while you enjoy the parks or whatever.
rving...............still the best way to go

Old 07-19-2011, 05:47 PM

Quote:
ya i know the price of gas will be way high, but if you add the cost of motels plus gas for a car and resturant bills you are about equal to the gas bill for an rv; that's if you don't pay stupid rv park overnight fees. you can just park your rv in a walmart for overnight (they have a walmart guide to their stores that allow this for free which is almost all of them), or just stay in a truck stop.....so all you have is your gas bill if you cook in your rv instead of motel and resturant bills you are actually coming out ahead even with the high gas prices rvs are still cheaper on the road. i'm assuming a motel bill around $75-$100 a night. of course you don't consider the up-front cost of the rv over a car............that's the bonus prize...........meaning the advantage of sleeping in your own bed and a much more comfortable way to travel on the road, and having room for all the stuff that you want to take with you..........plus if you travel with a pet you don't have to worry about your pet cooking inside of your car while you are in a resturant............and national parks don't even allow your pet to set its paws on any of their trails, so with a generator you can keep you little loved one cool and safe in your rv while you enjoy the parks or whatever.
rving...............still the best way to go
Maybe.

But hey, "How I Spent My Summer Vacation: in a WalMart parking lot with the generator running all day, keeping my poodle cool"?

DON'T THINK SO!!!! lol

Old 07-22-2011, 01:19 PM

nooooooooooo yel not parked in a walmart parking lot all day!!!!! i know this statement makes much better pun but you know that that is not what i said. you travel to see all your sights during the day......but just for the overnight you stay free where ever you can.i know your pun sounds soooooooooo much wittier though if that is what anyone would do
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area