Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2008, 05:44 PM

14 posts, read 16,190 times

Advertisements

My family is from Texas and we are contemplating a move to the Spokane area. If we move, my father will open a small restaurant/cafe. It would specialize in home style type cooking and Texas barbecue. We just wanted to ask a few questions before we made a cross country move and started a small business.
1. What would it cost to open up a nice business?
2. What would be the best area (suburbs included) to have this restaurant?
3. Would locals support this type of business or would they think of it as an tacky or uncouth establishment?
Any comments would be greatly appreciated and hopefully we can make the move soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2008, 07:06 PM

1,009 posts, read 2,207,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander92 View Post
1. What would it cost to open up a nice business?
2. What would be the best area (suburbs included) to have this restaurant?
3. Would locals support this type of business or would they think of it as an tacky or uncouth establishment?
1. The same as opening up a restaurant anywhere. You can google the tax laws for spokane businesses.
2. Anywhere, lest we americans should STARVE. If it's a hole-in-the-wall type place, you could probably take over the area that used to be owned by Common Grounds coffee shop, people driving home from work don't want a double shot of espresso at night, that was a bad location for a coffee shop. However might be good for a crowd looking to eat dinner at night...
3. Tacky? UNCOUTH?? This is spokane. If it's cheap and relatively good tasting, I don't think it can be more tacky than a bucket of KFC, or a bag of Dick's Hamburgers. I would say the people would support it if it was clean and made good food. Restaurants are notoriously expensive to run though, so I hope your dad has experience in that business.

Old 04-11-2008, 07:40 PM

1,010 posts, read 4,899,531 times
I second that response, chiaroscuro. I have seen way too many good restaurants come and go because it's so hard to stay afloat unless you've got great financial backing. I'm not too sure about BBQ places either...I'd prefer a new north side Vietnamese restaurant since Pho Spokane closed up a few months ago. Definitely don't need any more mexican restaurants. THere's a ton of them here all of a sudden!

Old 04-13-2008, 11:53 AM

33 posts, read 195,927 times
Spend some time reading these reviews of restaurants in Spokane. Here's another local site (http://www.spokane7.com/blogs/taste/ - broken link) that is food focused and provides much info on recent happenings.

You may or may not be aware that opening a restaurant is one of the most complex permitting processes you will attempt, as it involves so many city/county entities. Depending upon where you go (city/county) get to know what it required from each for a project like yours. The food scene in Spokane is experiencing dramatic growth thanks for wanting to add to the mix. Best of luck.

mod cut: link removed

Last edited by scirocco22; 04-14-2008 at 10:57 AM.. Reason: really sorry, no links to blogs please. Thanks.

Old 04-14-2008, 02:23 PM

100 posts, read 441,737 times
I would think long and hard about a Barbacue Restaurant in Spokane,,trend seems to be moving Asian or Classic American(hot dog stand/greasy hamburgers and vanilla shake places)..Not I don't live in Spokane but have passed through many times,Since moving here I have made it a point to visit every city I searched on the net...And please I tell you this from extensive experience and research add 95% to your budget for a cushion through the first year if you plan to serve liquor add 175% to your budget without liquor..The best of the best luck to you

Old 04-14-2008, 04:54 PM

231 posts, read 1,080,109 times
I think BBQ is an underserved market segment in Spokane. I grew up going to the Longhorn but if I'm being honest it just doesn't compare to many other BBQ places I've tried. I do like Chicken n' More downtown but it has always been a lunch place for me. Other than the Longhorn either out by the airport or in the valley and Chicken n' More downtown, there isn't much BBQ to shoot at (I don't really count the Red Lion although it is a decent spot). Granted, the lack of options doesn't mean you'd be successful but there is no BBQ on the south hill or north side so if you're good and find a good location at least you're not competing with several similar places.

Old 06-16-2008, 12:40 AM

5 posts, read 15,140 times
If you open up a real barbecue restaurant in Spokane, tell me where it is. I'd like to try it as I find that type of food to be hard to find here.

Old 06-16-2008, 04:19 PM

64 posts, read 232,498 times
Longhorn is in the valley and Airway Heights. Chicken n More is downtown, so if you were to open a place I would look at the SouthHill or the northside. The Southhill is more hole-in-the-wall / boutique restaurants. Northside is growing and can be a great place to start a restaurant especially in the wandermere area. I still can't believe that there is no Suchi on the Northside. It is a shame.

AM81 - try Chicken-n-more. The owner is a Texas native and make some good fried chicken and a mean catfish sandwich. His BBQ sauce and Jo-Jo's are awesome too!

Old 06-25-2008, 11:37 PM

5 posts, read 15,140 times
Thanks for the recommendation. I am often downtown and was not even aware that the place existed. I'll have to check it out one day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area