Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2019, 04:39 PM

21 posts, read 32,146 times

Advertisements

Hi All, we are seriously, and I mean seriously considering moving from Los Angeles to Spokane. We've never been to Spokane or the surrounding area, but I was hoping to get some questions answered before we book a flight to check it out.

A little background. It would be me, my husband of 20 years, and our 3 daughters (2 teens and 1 tween). We have never lived anyplace other than Los Angeles. We live in a nice, quiet, pretty, VERY SAFE suburb, yet we're only about 30 minutes away from Hollywood/Beverly Hills/the beaches, etc. We're not looking to bring "our California ways" to your beautiful state; we're trying to flee from it before it gets any worse here. We're not your typical Californians. We're Christian, we're conservative, we're super friendly, and we home school our children. My husband is able to work from home, so finding a job isn't an issue. We don't have any debt other than our mortgage and car payments, but I feel like we're barely getting by here. The cost of living is just too high here! My husband makes a decent living yet he has to supplement his income with side work and we still live paycheck to paycheck. Instead of just making a living, I want my husband to be able to live. At this point in our lives (approaching 50), we would love to move to a place where we can really enjoy life and each other, before our girls go off to college and start lives of their own.

I'm amazed at the home prices in Spokane. The areas we're looking at are Liberty Lake, the South Hill, Arrowhead Point, and maybe Greenacres. Safety is a big concern for us, so I was wondering what the safest neighborhoods would be. I've been reading that some people on these boards refer to Spokane as Spocompton, and that scares me a little. I'm hoping it's just an exaggeration. We live on a paseo system here and we go on daily walks as a family, so I would love a place where we feel safe walking around and where our daughters would be safe riding their bikes on their own. I was reading about people breaking into cars in even the nice neighborhoods there, so I was wondering if there are any gated communities? We'd love to be close to shops, grocery stores, Starbucks, restaurants, etc. I don't want rural, but I don't have to be smack dab in the middle of downtown either. Maybe a nice suburb?

I was wondering what the churches are like there. Any suggestions? And what kind of grocery stores does Spokane have? Are there any upscale grocery stores like Whole Foods or Bristol Farms? Sorry, I know that sounded so L.A.

Also, one thing we really enjoy is visiting museums, the symphony, plays, etc. What does Spokane offer as far as these things? I realize that Seattle is only 4 hours away, but I was hoping to find some of these things in Spokane. I was excited to see there's a Fox Theater!

Thanks for reading this and I'm looking forward to your suggestions. We're excited about finally living in a place with four distinct seasons, and living in a state with green trees and running streams and waterfalls. We've been wanting this for a long time and I'm so happy that it's finally going to happen for us!

TIA,
Sasha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2019, 08:13 PM

467 posts, read 519,625 times
I wish you luck with your move from CA to WA. I made the same move about 50 years ago. However, you may have some misperceptions, though minor. Seattle is more like 5 hours away, not 4, and will generally be even longer depending on the traffic on I90 when you hit North Bend. The Fox Theater downtown is not a movie theater, but holds special events, plays, etc. Spokane has an active community arts series and you will find symphonies, operas, plays, etc. there are plenty of outdoor opportunities year round. There are lots of churches, and I am sure you can find what you want. You won’t have beaches, of course, but the Spokane River provides lots of recreation. We have many favorite restaurants in Spokane, but it’s reputation is a cowboy town. I have never got the Spocompton dig. Spokane has nice and not so nice area, just like every other large city.

Spokane has lots of grocery stores. The major PNW grocery store is Fred Meyer (Kroger), but there is also Rosauers, Trader Joe’s, etc. I think there might be a Whole Foods, but not sure. No Bristol Farms or Sprouts. Lots of Farmers Markets in season.

Downtown is lovely, IMO. It is along the waterfront park, easily walkable, lots of bistros breweries, eateries, and of course, the lovely Davenport.

I have never lived in Spokane, but meet friends there a couple of times/year. Usually, we spend New Years Eve at the Davenport.

Are you considering other areas of WA? It sounds like schools are not an issue, though look into Running Start for your high school kids. Your husband works out of your home. There are lots of beautiful places to look. CDA? Only 30 minutes out of Spokane, and Idaho taxes are cheaper.

Old 05-02-2019, 08:38 PM

7 posts, read 16,602 times
Spend some time here in the winter and late summer and see how you like it. Coming from LA, the cold, low light winters WILL get to you and I'm just waiting for the stupidity that will bring the first blankets of smoke for the whole month of August.

Old 05-02-2019, 10:13 PM

6,269 posts, read 6,920,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane917 View Post
and of course, the lovely Davenport.

I have never lived in Spokane, but meet friends there a couple of times/year. Usually, we spend New Years Eve at the Davenport.

Are you considering other areas of WA? It sounds like schools are not an issue, though look into Running Start for your high school kids. Your husband works out of your home. There are lots of beautiful places to look. CDA? Only 30 minutes out of Spokane, and Idaho taxes are cheaper.

Nope, Washington state has much, much lower taxes than Idaho.

When I moved from Idaho to Washington.....my take home pay went up by 15-20 percent.

I love Idaho. It is a great state. The politicians actually listen and will talk to you.

BUT....Washington is much cheaper to live.

Old 05-03-2019, 01:33 PM

20,170 posts, read 24,225,373 times
You’ll be rich in Spokane from the sale of your million-dollar California home (and the people you meet here will love hearing about it!) but depressed by the gloomy weather and endless winter. Walking and riding bikes will be restricted to April through October (with a long break in August when Spokane is choking with smoke from forest fires in Idaho, the Cascades, and/or Canada).

Of course, you’ll easily be able to afford to spend the six months of Spokane winter in a warmer place like...Southern California?

Which raises a question...

Old 05-03-2019, 06:16 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,409,101 times
Which raises a question..

Humm, Yeledaf, would that question be:

Hey, why don't we move to Spokane and buy a winner of a mega-mansion there. Spokane Valley perhaps? Then, when we're grinding our teeth at night we can fly down to Phoenix, rent a 2019 Nissan Sentra spacious-interior 4-door sedan, and drive around to Applebee's Restaurants to eat in The Valley of The Sun?

Wow! Anyone ever thought of this before?

Old 05-04-2019, 09:52 AM

20,170 posts, read 24,225,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
Which raises a question..

Humm, Yeledaf, would that question be:

Hey, why don't we move to Spokane and buy a winner of a mega-mansion there. Spokane Valley perhaps? Then, when we're grinding our teeth at night we can fly down to Phoenix, rent a 2019 Nissan Sentra spacious-interior 4-door sedan, and drive around to Applebee's Restaurants to eat in The Valley of The Sun?

Wow! Anyone ever thought of this before?
Ha!

Actually, I was thinking more on the lines of an internal interrogative: “Why don’t we just stay in the land of sunshine, in our happy circumstances and apparent comfort, instead of trekking north to the land of gloom, ice, smoke, and potholes, and subjecting our family to life indoors watching it rain, snow, and hail, and listening to the wind whistling through the trees that threaten to crush our roof? Pretty much year-round?”

And like that...

Old 05-04-2019, 03:16 PM

5 posts, read 10,310 times
Spokane is easy commute and quite nice, living in the surronding areas 30-60 min.drive is beautiful, scenic, quiet/peaceful and worth it. Zero traffic compared to Portland OR or Seattle, WA. Love the four seasons. Plenty of places to shop and enjoy. Good luck!

Old 05-04-2019, 03:31 PM

21 posts, read 32,146 times
Thank you to those that have given kind, decent, courteous responses to my questions. This is a big, life changing move for our family so we're trying to do our due diligence. We're planning a trip out there next month to check it out for ourselves.

Old 05-04-2019, 05:32 PM

13,824 posts, read 29,770,019 times
OP, I'm originally from Riverside.

I lived in Spokane for a brief spell 10 years ago, and am enamored with it to this day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area