U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-28-2019, 03:02 PM
 
2 posts, read 1,279 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Hello all, planning a visit to Spokane next year (lots of family in WA) & wondering what months are the rainiest, most humid and coldest. If any of you regularly follow humidity percentages would love to hear what those are especially at their peak. From what I can tell its pretty dry there (compared to most places in WA) but am wondering how high exactly it gets. Also curious about how many months it snows for and what the coldest temps are there. Thanks for the info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-28-2019, 03:29 PM
 
Location: Washington State. Not Seattle.
2,060 posts, read 2,398,317 times
Reputation: 2809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bribri View Post
Hello all, planning a visit to Spokane next year (lots of family in WA) & wondering what months are the rainiest, most humid and coldest. If any of you regularly follow humidity percentages would love to hear what those are especially at their peak. From what I can tell its pretty dry there (compared to most places in WA) but am wondering how high exactly it gets. Also curious about how many months it snows for and what the coldest temps are there. Thanks for the info!
Other than a random and rare foggy day, humidity isn't really a thing here. In general, I have no idea what the humidity levels are, because it's not enough of an issue for anyone to care.

Otherwise, we do get some rain, mostly in the spring. Snow is generally from mid-November to mid-March, but seems to be much less than that in recent years.

The biggest weather issue we have are short, cold, gray, sunless days in January and February. That and that wildfire smoke we've been getting at the end of the last few summers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2019, 09:12 PM
 
Location: WA Desert, Seattle native
6,168 posts, read 4,098,374 times
Reputation: 4637
One thing to keep in mind about Spokane weather is it still is close enough to the Pacific Ocean there are moderating influences that don't exist east of the city into Northern Idaho and Montana.

As mentioned above, humidity is almost non-existent in Spokane. There may be a couple of days with thunderstorms that might increase the humidity short-term, but it really doesn't exist. Perhaps some cold humidity in the winter with passing rain/snow but again, not really noticeable.

Snowfall can occur anytime from late October to late March, but the prime season is November to February. Average snowfall in Spokane is about 44 inches, though it can be quite variable with some wide swings around that average.

Generally, Spokane offers a mild to warm modified continental climate with ocean influence during the summer. Typical highs will be in the 80's, but topping 100 occasionally occurs. In the winter, the modified maritime climate keeps extreme cold away for the most part, though cold spells can and do occur.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2019, 09:31 PM
 
2 posts, read 1,279 times
Reputation: 10
Thank you both so much for your replies! You answered all of my questions and we are looking forward to visiting
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2019, 07:01 AM
 
Location: Bentonville, AR
1,053 posts, read 2,616,929 times
Reputation: 785
Ill piggyback on this thread for some of my own questions, if thats ok. I've been to Seattle so I'm familiar with what that area looks like. I'm familiar with Colorado being more of a drier climate and having less vegetation. Would you say that Spokane more closely resembles the terrain of Seattle or the Colorado front range? Maybe a mix of both? I see Spokane gets an average of 16.5 inches of precipitation per year which is about what the front range cities get. It seems to look a little greener in Spokane than Colorado front range cities. Is that accurate? If so, is it because of being further north so the temperatures are a tad more moderate? Also, overall how would you rate the surrounding scenery and outdoor activities? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2019, 03:10 PM
 
Location: Washington State. Not Seattle.
2,060 posts, read 2,398,317 times
Reputation: 2809
Quote:
Originally Posted by knrstz View Post
Ill piggyback on this thread for some of my own questions, if thats ok. I've been to Seattle so I'm familiar with what that area looks like. I'm familiar with Colorado being more of a drier climate and having less vegetation. Would you say that Spokane more closely resembles the terrain of Seattle or the Colorado front range? Maybe a mix of both? I see Spokane gets an average of 16.5 inches of precipitation per year which is about what the front range cities get. It seems to look a little greener in Spokane than Colorado front range cities. Is that accurate? If so, is it because of being further north so the temperatures are a tad more moderate? Also, overall how would you rate the surrounding scenery and outdoor activities? Thanks.
In terms of climate and precip, Spokane is much closer to Colorado than it is to Seattle. Spokane is slightly wetter than Denver, but not by much. In terms of sunny days - especially in the winter - Spokane is closer to Seattle. We have a lot of long, gray, cloudy days in the dead of winter around here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2019, 10:16 PM
 
Location: WA Desert, Seattle native
6,168 posts, read 4,098,374 times
Reputation: 4637
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
In terms of climate and precip, Spokane is much closer to Colorado than it is to Seattle. Spokane is slightly wetter than Denver, but not by much. In terms of sunny days - especially in the winter - Spokane is closer to Seattle. We have a lot of long, gray, cloudy days in the dead of winter around here.
I will double down on that. Winters are cloudy, unlike Colorado which has many sunny winter days. But Spokane doesn't have the wide range of temps you will get in Colorado.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2019, 09:53 AM
 
6 posts, read 1,414 times
Reputation: 32
We're moving to Colorado Springs next year and I've been keeping track of weather patterns. Something Spokane does NOT experience is the potential for severe weather you see in the front range. It can be a very active atmosphere in the springs with afternoon thunderstorms, hail, wind events and tornadoes...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:21 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top