Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2019, 10:55 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,280,423 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

In early August my husband and I will be in Spokane for a couple of days: It's the beginning and end of a 10-day road trip that we're taking to Glacier NP and back.

(1) We're interested in recommendations for food, day trips, and anything else you may deem appropriate. I've read a lot of positive stuff about Frank's Diner, and the links below (previous CD threads) contain some food suggestions from 3 years ago, but if there are any revised recs or other specifics, I'd be glad to hear them.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/spoka...where-eat.html
http://www.city-data.com/forum/spoka...kane-food.html

For food, we like local establishments. If there are must-try local hotspots (including diners) featuring standard American fare, please let us know. However, we tend to prefer places featuring local/regional foods/ingredients as well as international/ethnic eats, so any recs in those areas would be good. As far as global cuisine goes, we're quite adventurous.

Any recommendations on other food venues are welcome--bakeries, donut shops, coffee roasters, particularly good markets, etc.

(2) We're hoping to try out some Washington wines, so recs on wine bars, wine shops, etc. are appreciated. Any info on beer is also appreciated, though our taste in beer is pretty limited (we don't like stuff that's too hoppy or too lightweight).

(3) We've been putting together a list of things to do and see in Spokane, but if you have any favorites, please say so. We particularly like parks and birding/nature sites; neighborhoods with interesting/historical architecture; lively and vibrant artsy neighborhoods; museums and galleries; interesting/quirky bookstores, etc.

(4) Are there any highly recommended day trips or half-day trips to consider? We're looking at driving to the Coulee Dam, but not sure if it's all that. During our trek back from Glacier, we'll be stopping at Coeur d'Alene. Anything for us to consider? Perhaps some decent wineries within a couple hours' drive?

Perhaps a day trip to Pullman and Moscow, to see the universities....?

Thanks for your help and ideas....

Last edited by Empidonax; 07-06-2019 at 11:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2019, 12:33 PM

467 posts, read 519,891 times
In downtown Spokane try the Barrister wine tasting room. Some of our favorite wines. For a beautiful winery go to Arbor Crest. WA is proud of its IPA "hoppy" beers. Maybe try a flight of beers at a brewery? You won't have to drive a couple of hours to find plenty of wineries.

If you only have a couple of days in Spokane, you might want to skip Coulee Dam. It is pretty spectacular, but would take up a whole day with travel back and forth. In addition, it is most spectacular at nights for the light show.

Are you stopping at CDA for the night, or just for a short stop? I would make sure to walk around the boardwalk at the Resort and stroll downtown. CDA gets very crowded in the summer, and room prices are outrageous.

Frank's is good, but I am not sure I would recommend it for one of the only restaurants you would eat at in Spokane. If you want a steak dinner, Churchill's is your place, but proportionally expensive. We like Wild Sage and Clinkerdagger. Also Anthony's if you want a gorgeous view of the river. A favorite dinner spot for us is Italia Trattoria in Browne's Addition.

Old 07-07-2019, 07:15 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,687,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane917 View Post
In downtown Spokane try the Barrister wine tasting room. Some of our favorite wines. For a beautiful winery go to Arbor Crest. WA is proud of its IPA "hoppy" beers. Maybe try a flight of beers at a brewery? You won't have to drive a couple of hours to find plenty of wineries.

If you only have a couple of days in Spokane, you might want to skip Coulee Dam. It is pretty spectacular, but would take up a whole day with travel back and forth. In addition, it is most spectacular at nights for the light show.

Are you stopping at CDA for the night, or just for a short stop? I would make sure to walk around the boardwalk at the Resort and stroll downtown. CDA gets very crowded in the summer, and room prices are outrageous.

Frank's is good, but I am not sure I would recommend it for one of the only restaurants you would eat at in Spokane. If you want a steak dinner, Churchill's is your place, but proportionally expensive. We like Wild Sage and Clinkerdagger. Also Anthony's if you want a gorgeous view of the river. A favorite dinner spot for us is Italia Trattoria in Browne's Addition.
We always take out of town guests to Anthony’s. You can’t beat that view. Love Wild Sage and Clinkerdagger too. The Davenport restaurant is lovely though I like it more in winter.
Now I’m going to have to check out Italia Trattoria. Europa is decent, especially desserts.
On what of my favorites is gone: Milford’s Fish House.
Though that new place is moving in...the Irish pub type place from Seattle

Old 07-07-2019, 08:49 PM

467 posts, read 519,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
We always take out of town guests to Anthony’s. You can’t beat that view. Love Wild Sage and Clinkerdagger too. The Davenport restaurant is lovely though I like it more in winter.
Now I’m going to have to check out Italia Trattoria. Europa is decent, especially desserts.
On what of my favorites is gone: Milford’s Fish House.
Though that new place is moving in...the Irish pub type place from Seattle
Milford’s is gone? That is a big loss. Please try Italia Trattoria. We ate there for NYE. We meet friends in Spokane, stay at the Davenport, and eat a delicious dinner. We have done this for years, but now celebrate NYE a day early to beat the crowd.

Old 07-08-2019, 11:23 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,687,426 times
Manito Park on the beautiful South Hill is a lovely place for a summer walk and the neighborhoods all around it are fun to explore. While you’re on the South Hill, Manito Taphouse and Republic Pi are great places to stop for a beer and a bite. Luna is another great restaurant.
Downtown, Atticus is a good coffee place and Boo Radleys next door is a funky shop with all kinds of joke items and off beat things.
Madeline’s is a good breakfast place and Sante has been replaced by a new place (same owners) called Smoke and Mirrors that looks good. Aunties bookstore is THE Spokane se are all within a block of Riverfront Park which is a must see if you want to see Spokane.

Green Bluff on the far north side is a farming community up on a bluff with all kinds of things happening in summer and fall. Festivals centered around. What fruits are in season and cute Farm shops. My daughter is up there today with her kids picking raspberries. Very pretty area.

Lots of hiking and natural beauty. My. Spokane, Dishman Hills, or a scenic drive down the Palouse Highway toward Lake CDA. Beautiful northern tip of The Palouse. You’ll miss the brilliant yellow of the canola fields in bloom but the rolling Palouse is spectacular.

Old 07-08-2019, 07:12 PM

20,170 posts, read 24,228,162 times
Don’t forget the sunflower fields in Deer Park. Early to mid-August is prime time.

Here’s a helpful guide: 11 TRENDY THINGS TO DO THIS SUMMER THAT WON'T BREAK THE BANK - SPOKANEEATS

Old 07-11-2019, 12:14 PM

269 posts, read 295,203 times
If already going to Glacier NP you might augment your trip by reading up at glaciallakemissoula.org

and then visit some related spots near your path.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area