U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2019, 10:33 AM

1 posts, read 596 times

Advertisements

I been wanting to move to Spokane for over 10 years. Now property values in the greater Spokane area have skyrocket.

When I first got the virus to move there a local real estate agent gave me access to her website. Looking around it was thrilled to see 3-5 acres selling for $5-$10k. Now I don't see those offers. I went there for about 8 days in winter of 2012 with the family. i liked what I saw, and decided to move there.

I still want to go. I desperately want to get out of Louisiana. I hate the South!!! I just dodged the bullet with hurricane Barry, but soon another will be on its way. In 2012 hurricane Isaac flooded me and I lost everything

BUT, over the years one thing or another has held me back. Now I am hoping in 2021 when my last child finishes college. I plan to hang a sign on my house and go when I sell.

I do not want to live in the city of Spokane. I would like to live in a small suburban environment. My dream is to fine a lot (under $30K) and build.

I prefer north side of Spokane County---Mead, deer park, maybe springdale. when I saw the Cheney area in 2012 it looked cruddy and industrial. thanks, but no thanks. My wife works in medical field. we both will have to commute to Spokane--30-40 minutes one way.

I am looking for the right location. Nice mountain views with snow covered hills in winter. Few if any trailer parks, relatively clean and new looking housing. Davenport and Reardan are possible. I read the negative posts about the Spokane area, but it can not be worse than St John Parish in Louisiana.

I would settle for a new house in a subdivision. but that would be my last choice.

I was looking on the internet at the Chewela area in Stevens count. saw some fair looking lots. Then I came across a story about Chewelah flooding in 2017. Forget it! Not living there. But, heavy rains flooded Spokane in May 2019. So, I do not know. It would be a tragedy for me to leave swampy Louisiana, get to Spokane and get flooded there. That's when I'll go looney!

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2019, 08:35 PM

6,168 posts, read 4,098,374 times
If this is retirement, then the location being close to Spokane isn't likely that important. Depends on what you want...if you like a more rural setting or a more suburban setting (as you mentioned). Chewelah is definitely still rural. And floods are really not a thing in this part of Washington...pretty rare, in fact. If you would prefer a suburban area, Spokane Valley would be a good choice, as would NID in Coeur d'alene, or even areas outside that main city. I am sure you have studied the climate of the area, warm pleasant summers, moderately cold in the winter and plenty of snowfall, (usually). The difference between NID and WA in this area are generally it is a bit colder in NID, (closer to Bitteroots/Rockies), and Idaho has a State income tax, where WA does not.

I live 130 miles SW in the Tri-Cities, completely different from Spokane/Coeur d'Alene, A fast growing area with many refugees from Western Washington and other areas, a great economy, but a desert climate that isn't for everyone. However, does offer the most sunshine and warmest summers in the PNW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area