U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2019, 08:46 PM

11 posts, read 9,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeahfoo View Post
Spokane/CDA is not the place I would choose if you are trying to avoid cold, dark, and grey. I don't know how it compares to Kalispell, but from my experience it starts to really get grey from about early/mid October and goes all the way through about mid May. (Conversely, summers are warm, light, and sunny all the time). I have never lived in a cloudier place than CDA/Spokane. If you look up the statistics, they show that there are on average only about 10-15 more days total in a year that are partly sunny/sunny than Seattle (that's like a week extra at the beginning and end of summer). Weatherspark says Spokane/CDA is cloudy about 75-80% of the time in December/January, and I can attest from experience that it certainly feels that way.

I think you may have just come during some sunny times, which do happen during the winter on occasion. I would recommend taking a trip or two to somewhere warm and sunny during the winters if you do end up here.
That sounds exactly like Kalispell - cloudy from late Oct through May, probably June even, though there are a few teases of sunny days in the spring. I know Spokane is slightly sunnier than here - by 20 days. Seattle has one more sunny day than here, but Kalispell has more days of partial sun. The high temps are roughly the same in Kalispell and Spokane but nights are warmer there, which would seem to explain the longer growing season.

I feel like having little kids might make dealing with winter worse. It's such a pain to get them ready in winter vs summer, and sometimes if we're going outside in winter none of us even last long after all that effort. I used to be busy with hobbies, listening to music, skiing and reading all winter and it didn't bother me but now I'm really aware that I'm stuck indoors.

Thanks for the info. It's looking like I might change to considering it for later in life or retirement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2019, 08:49 PM

11 posts, read 9,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sylentvoyce View Post
Very true. Love it or hate it, spokane has a core, a heart and a soul.

Tri cities seems like it was built strictly for the purpose of business and commercialization.
I appreciate the suggestion! The reason we love Spokane is due to the city and greenery. We've been through the Tri Cities area and I couldn't live somewhere that was so much sprawl on top of the desert-like feel.

Old 09-03-2019, 08:50 PM

1,825 posts, read 3,057,241 times
Native of Austin here. Not a cloud in the sky near the capitol building, 96 degrees. Beautiful. Kalispell is tough, you are experiencing the warning signs of SAD. Spokane is your best bet in the Northwest. The city is large enough, has a university. There are many indoor facilities for kids, libraries, children’s museum, playscapes, etc. Snows do melt as you are in the valley.

On a personal note: don’t stay in for extended days, especially with children. I know that can be difficult to go places with toddlers, you need to do so. Network with local women with young children, and couples. Don’t allow yourself to become melancholy, you’ll find it hard to get out of it, you will have mixed feelings in the future when remembering this time in your life.

Old 09-03-2019, 10:35 PM

16 posts, read 14,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakotaBlues View Post
Thanks for your comments. I totally agree about Kalispell weather! That's good to know there is a sunny and warmer spot nearby Spokane. That might be enough if I could drive there. I will keep an eye on the weather there. Part of the issue with Kalispell is there is no where to drive to. Once winter comes, you're just socked in and we can't fly often due to the cost and hassle of doing it with little kids. If Spokane is only awful Thanksgiving to Feb, that would be a huge improvement. Do you know if the snow sticks there all winter or tends to melt after a day or two?

I've been reading the forum and see you're not the only one who thinks it's too cloudy (or cold), which gives me pause. I'm not sure if being in a bigger city (I'm from outside of Austin) would make winters easier for me or not!

The good thing about Spokane versus Kalispell is that you CAN fly out because of the international airport. There are direct flights to Phoenix, for example. It's about a 2 hour 15 minute flight.
Spokane is definitely not great imho between Thanksgiving and end of February, but it's also pretty rainy/cloudy from October through most of spring. I often compare it to Salt Lake, because that is really the only 4 season climate I lived in before. Salt Lake City is still mostly sunny even in the winter. The fall is very sunny, and April and May are mostly sunny. In between the sunny days you get rain and snow, but as soon as that happens, it clears up. This doesn't really happen in Spokane/CDA for the majority of the year. The clouds just sort of hang out for weeks.
As far as the snow sticking or not, it depends on the year. This past winter, we didn't get snow sticking until end of January, and then it dumped on us (no melting) until the end of March, but that was supposedly a "mild" winter. Predictions are that this next winter is going to be very snowy, but we'll see.

The link below shows Spokane versus Kalispell for comparison of weather:
https://weatherspark.com/y/2022/Aver...tes-Year-Round
https://weatherspark.com/y/2340/Aver...tes-Year-Round

Old 09-05-2019, 01:18 PM

16,957 posts, read 17,133,744 times
I grew up in Seattle, LOL, Spokane has lots more sun than that dreary place.

Old 09-07-2019, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
I grew up in Seattle, LOL, Spokane has lots more sun than that dreary place.
That's not what the stats say, unless you consider 13 days "lots", but if that's your perception of Seattle vs Spokane, then who am I to say otherwise? I just know Spokane is plenty dreary to me, and I mean weather wise.

Old 09-08-2019, 11:04 PM

16,957 posts, read 17,133,744 times
Quote:
That's not what the stats say, unless you consider 13 days "lots", but if that's your perception of Seattle vs Spokane, then who am I to say otherwise? I just know Spokane is plenty dreary to me, and I mean weather wise.

Well over 30-years in Seattle, the difference between the 2 is quite noticeable to me.

In all honesty, neither of the two have that great of weather.

Old 09-09-2019, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Well over 30-years in Seattle, the difference between the 2 is quite noticeable to me.

In all honesty, neither of the two have that great of weather.
Totally agree! Case in point- the last 2 days have been a rude intro to autumn, and the end is not really in sight if you look at the long term forecast, and we are JUST into September. I'm thinking this is going to be a long winter....

Old 09-10-2019, 12:05 AM

43 posts, read 5,632 times
Hi Jakotablues, do you have other options? You mentioned Oklahoma. I'm a military wife and a stay at home mom who's moved at least 19 times? I've lost count. How the sky looks each day can affect our mood. What I see each morning out my kitchen window sets the tone for the day. As moms, its those simple things that keep us happy because we give so much of ourselves to our family, right? We ask so little for ourselves, being the caretaker. Given a choice, I'd pick a place that has blue skies and sun rather than overcast Washington. No amount of fish oil or vit D can counteract dreary grey skies. Vit D can cause kidney damage. Good luck, give an update with your decision....

Old 09-10-2019, 07:53 AM

19,678 posts, read 21,226,729 times
Quote:
Totally agree! Case in point- the last 2 days have been a rude intro to autumn, and the end is not really in sight if you look at the long term forecast, and we are JUST into September. I'm thinking this is going to be a long winter....
Two days? Fiddlesticks!

https://www.krem.com/article/enterta...a-0ef3bf37bde0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area