Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2019, 10:52 AM

20,170 posts, read 24,225,373 times

Advertisements

Ban these dogs. Imprison their owners.

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...bites-person-/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2019, 11:29 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,686,429 times
I saw that last night.
Unbelievable.
But SCRAPS is more focused on prosecuting old ladies who put electric fencing around their walnut trees than protecting pets and people from thugs and their frankendogs.

Old 09-17-2019, 04:31 PM

159 posts, read 352,190 times
If a dog kills another dog it should be euthanized. According to the story on KHQ the owner will be allowed to keep this dog or could even re-home it to another county. Absolutely insane, if a dog has proven how dangerous it is it shouldn't get a second chance.

Old 09-17-2019, 11:00 PM

89 posts, read 185,135 times
Bad dogs are invariably products of bad owners.

Old 09-17-2019, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrsusMinor View Post
Pits were bred for aggression and to fight other dogs. Hundreds of years of breeding for a specific trait. Like my border collie was bred for herding and my Great Pyrenees were bred for guarding stock.
As far as bad owners making bad dogs. Lots of golden retrievers and collies have bad owners and don’t kill and maim like pits do.
The statistics don’t lie.
No other breed kills and mutilates humans and other animals like pits do.

Old 09-18-2019, 12:15 AM

2,360 posts, read 1,409,628 times
Quote:
Pit bulls have a jaw that locks up on their prey and then they shake/tear their prey to death. My Doberman was attacked by a pit bull. It dragged her by her neck off the trail and started shaking her. I will never forget her moans of fear and the look in her eyes. My husband dropped his knee on the pit’s neck to immobilize it and stop the shaking/flesh tearing and I started beating it on the head with a rock. It finally released our dog when I threw water in its face, which startled it. There were 3 people with this pit, one of them the owner, and none of them had the slightest clue what to do to stop this.

Of course the owner claimed that his was a “good, well-trained dog”. Yeah, right.

Old 09-18-2019, 10:22 AM

32,477 posts, read 47,405,393 times
Quote:

A bad owner doesn't help and possibly a bad owner can turn a decent dog bad. But dogs are born with a personality and a temperament. They aren't a blank slate to turn into anything you want. You can shape what is born a little bit, but there are limits.

Old 09-18-2019, 12:34 PM

17,606 posts, read 13,425,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happygrrrl View Post
Pit bulls have a jaw that locks up on their prey
This is a myth that is out there. Pits have a very strong bite but their jaws do not "lock".

I feel bad for your dog but I think it is a bit ironic that you have a Doberman.

When I was growing up in the 1970s it was Dobies that were everywhere and they had the same reputation that Pit Bulls have now. You didn't see PIt Bulls that much.

Now days you see Pits everywhere and Dobies are pretty rare.

Old 09-18-2019, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
This is a myth that is out there. Pits have a very strong bite but their jaws do not "lock".

I feel bad for your dog but I think it is a bit ironic that you have a Doberman.

When I was growing up in the 1970s it was Dobies that were everywhere and they had the same reputation that Pit Bulls have now. You didn't see PIt Bulls that much.

Now days you see Pits everywhere and Dobies are pretty rare.
From what I’ve seen, deaths and maiming attacks by pit breeds eclipse attacks by all other breeds and have done so for many years. I don’t recall ever seeing as many deaths by dogs
back in the 70’s as there are now.

https://www.dogsbite.org/

Old 09-18-2019, 01:52 PM

5,286 posts, read 7,577,932 times
Quote:
We had neighbors...a very sweet family from the UK who picked up a rescue pit bull from somewhere and doted on it.

Twice in a 2-year period it got loose and attacked our yellow lab. First time it broke loose from their young son who had it by the leash and attacked my dog on the sidewalk. Second time their garage door was open and the dog came charging out to attack our dog when my daughter was walking him on the other side of the street.

Both times our dog came through it OK without major injury. But I made them promise to keep the beast locked up in the back yard and never the front as a condition of not reporting them to the authorities. I basically did not want to make enemies with a very nice family who looked out for our place when we were gone, etc., and had just made the very bad decision to try to rescue a pit bull.

I was relieved when they moved out last spring. The new owners have two little toy yapper dogs who are annoying in a different way but at least not dangerous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area