U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2019, 10:42 AM

19,678 posts, read 21,226,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Well, I can understand that response. However, some on here don't understand that so-called "black humor" is easily misunderstood on such forums. Kind of like telling a dirty joke online as compared to in-person. It is all about the context, and the written form sometimes loses that context.
Check the first post in this thread. It was obviously tongue-in-cheek. That IS the conrext. Explaining that to people who don’t get it is tiresome.

Besides, no one has come up with anything even remotely effective in dealing with this problem. We might as well shake our heads and grin, however ruefully.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2019, 12:43 AM

6,168 posts, read 4,098,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Check the first post in this thread. It was obviously tongue-in-cheek. That IS the conrext. Explaining that to people who don’t get it is tiresome.

Besides, no one has come up with anything even remotely effective in dealing with this problem. We might as well shake our heads and grin, however ruefully.
Good word there, "ruefully".

I understand "tongue-in-cheek". I also understand that words are majorly misunderstood on sites like this.

I agree there are no good answers to the problem. I do have an issue with "bussing them out", whether it is tongue-in-cheek or not. Unnecessary at best, outright insulting at the least.

Old 09-22-2019, 10:57 AM

7,150 posts, read 9,259,332 times
Quote:
Seriously — there is no ‘solution’ to the problem. It became insoluble when we stopped calling these people bums and dignified them with the term “homeless.” Frankly, calling many of these people “homeless” is like calling a vegetarian “meatless.” They have chosen their lifestyle and prefer the company of people like themselves. All of the well-meaning efforts to throw money at the situation has done nothing but exacerbate it.
Very true. These "people" used to be called bums 10 years ago, but now they are called homeless for some reason and I just call them junkies because that's what 99% of them are.

Old 09-22-2019, 11:47 AM

23,464 posts, read 30,063,240 times
Quote:
.......Besides, no one has come up with anything even remotely effective in dealing with this problem. We might as well shake our heads and grin, however ruefully.

Oh, the problem can be dealt with, but not without hurting someone's feelings. Hurting someone's feelings is the ultimate sin in a politically correct world, so the homeless get to continue sleeping on the sidewalks while nothing effective can be done.

Old 09-22-2019, 12:06 PM

1,008 posts, read 570,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mounty View Post
I don't know why no city patrons came up with this yet.

It's an extremely cheap solution compared to building/supporting shelters/psychiatric facilities, dealing with prisons/courts etc.

According to a newly published statistic 50% of homeless USA population resides in California.

Source:
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/th...of2&yptr=yahoo

How about we put up big banners "Free bus rides to Sunny California for homeless people. $500 cash upon arrival. In-bus littering, defecation and drug use are welcome" in key spots around the city such as in downtown where House of Charity is.

Rent a few buses. Spokane only has a few hundred homeless people. That's only like 10 bus rides. And maybe $100,000 - 200,000 in cold cash. Still cheaper than any of other solutions.

And it's not putting a bandaid on a problem like all the other solutions are.

It's an actual solution. And it can be done in a day or a week.

So simple.

California won't even notice a few hundred newcomers. If we leave them at Hollywood, they will just pass for struggling actors, noone will notice.
When I first came to the DC Area back in the 80's, DC was importing its h@@kers over to Northern Virginia. You can't make this stuff up!

Old 09-22-2019, 12:17 PM

1,008 posts, read 570,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
Very true. These "people" used to be called bums 10 years ago, but now they are called homeless for some reason and I just call them junkies because that's what 99% of them are.
Some of the homeless are the "free sprints" formerly known as hobos. They really choose to live like this.
Some (many) are mentally ill
Some are down on their luck and can't get back up again.
Some are Veterans with PTSD or other issues, who could be helped with a number of programs. As an example, the county of Arlington, VA had a goal of not having one homeless veteran. I believe that they met this goal.

The problem with the homeless is that they congregate in large population areas where they know they can get handouts and other support. Cities with large homeless populations really do need to relocate them to a [yet to be thought of] central holding area where they can get help, medical care, job assistance, etc.

Old 09-22-2019, 12:40 PM

4,997 posts, read 6,801,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Good word there, "ruefully".

I understand "tongue-in-cheek". I also understand that words are majorly misunderstood on sites like this.

I agree there are no good answers to the problem. I do have an issue with "bussing them out", whether it is tongue-in-cheek or not. Unnecessary at best, outright insulting at the least.
Oh dear. Better report it to the mods. But last I heard, tongue-in-cheek posts weren’t disallowed.
But if you have a problem with Spokanites being annoyed with the Spokane homeless problem, perhaps you could come up from the Tri-Cities to help. Maybe you could man a pooper scooper to help clean sidewalks for local businesses or take some home to live with you.
Meanwhile if dark humor helps convey irritation, I’m down with it.

Old 09-22-2019, 08:34 PM

243 posts, read 97,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Count David View Post
If you would like to further entertain yourself, we have a 700+ page thread in the Los Angeles forum dedicated to this exact topic.

A suggestion was made that the homeless in downtown LA be bused out to an empty tract of land in the Mojave Desert, and left to their own faculties there....among bazillions of other suggestions.

The thread will keep you tied up for weeks.
I actually read this whole thread.....and have kept current.

maybe build them minature houses out in the Mojave ....

Old 09-22-2019, 09:08 PM

6,168 posts, read 4,098,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
Oh dear. Better report it to the mods. But last I heard, tongue-in-cheek posts weren’t disallowed.
But if you have a problem with Spokanites being annoyed with the Spokane homeless problem, perhaps you could come up from the Tri-Cities to help. Maybe you could man a pooper scooper to help clean sidewalks for local businesses or take some home to live with you.
Meanwhile if dark humor helps convey irritation, I’m down with it.
Really? Your anger is noted. However, I am free to comment on areas near me that I perhaps don't directly live in. My point was not that tongue-in-cheeks posts were not allowed, it was they can be misunderstood. Perhaps if you read and actually comprehended my post you would have understood my point.

Take some home to live with me? WTF? Are you actually serious? I think you are. Such anger. Oh I get it...more "tongue-in-cheek" disguised as attacking other posters here. Wow.

Old 09-23-2019, 09:18 AM

19,678 posts, read 21,226,729 times
C’mon, now, misty and pnwguy. Play nice.

Or I’ll ask Count David to take away your pooper scoopers.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area