U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2019, 07:53 AM

138 posts, read 348,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post

Take some home to live with me? WTF? Are you actually serious? I think you are. Such anger. Oh I get it...more "tongue-in-cheek" disguised as attacking other posters here. Wow.
Yes that's a completely rational suggestion. I bet a little nurturing and support would help one person to turn around and become a wholesome citizen again. Just please don't give up on them, take them in, one at a time, and give then your best, l'm sure they will return it all and more. You seem like a very sensitive and serious person, a perfect host for a homeless man in need
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2019, 12:21 PM

1,894 posts, read 2,170,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mounty View Post
Yes that's a completely rational suggestion. I bet a little nurturing and support would help one person to turn around and become a wholesome citizen again. Just please don't give up on them, take them in, one at a time, and give then your best, l'm sure they will return it all and more. You seem like a very sensitive and serious person, a perfect host for a homeless man in need
Or they could take them in 10 at a time and get the satisfaction of turning even more of them around and making them productive citizens! It would make the homeless problem go away that much faster!

Old 09-24-2019, 01:02 PM

4,997 posts, read 6,801,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShampooBanana View Post
Or they could take them in 10 at a time and get the satisfaction of turning even more of them around and making them productive citizens! It would make the homeless problem go away that much faster!
How who you do that?
Forced drug rehab?
Mandatory drug therapy to treat mental illness?
There are lots of services for those who want to be off the streets but need a hand up.
I pay rent for a homeless family through a charity to help them get a leg up.
So I do put money where my mouth is.

Maybe we can build centers in non urban areas or use old decommissioned military bases to treat the mentally ill and drug addicts and retrain or educate the homeless who need help finding jobs and housing. Where they must comply with therapy and can’t destroy urban areas and prey on the citizens there.
I’m unwilling to keep providing services to those who don’t want a hand up, but simply want tone enabled to live an indigent lifestyle.

Old 09-24-2019, 07:01 PM

1,894 posts, read 2,170,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
How who you do that?
Forced drug rehab?
Mandatory drug therapy to treat mental illness?
There are lots of services for those who want to be off the streets but need a hand up.
I pay rent for a homeless family through a charity to help them get a leg up.
So I do put money where my mouth is.

Maybe we can build centers in non urban areas or use old decommissioned military bases to treat the mentally ill and drug addicts and retrain or educate the homeless who need help finding jobs and housing. Where they must comply with therapy and can’t destroy urban areas and prey on the citizens there.
I’m unwilling to keep providing services to those who don’t want a hand up, but simply want tone enabled to live an indigent lifestyle.
That's great! I like the idea of decommissioned military bases, but seems like a lot of liability issues there. Might be a good use for them, though, rather than letting sit derelict anyway. I doubt nearby communities would be okay with that, however. Then again, we tried institutionalizing the mentally ill for a long time, of which many of the currently homeless are. It worked, but then it all got de-funded under Reagan and they all ended up on the streets and we are where we are now. Too bad. Aside from that, though, there is no real solution. At least not any morally ethical or easy, inexpensive ones.

Old 09-24-2019, 07:22 PM

1,410 posts, read 1,113,819 times
Quote:
Then again, we tried institutionalizing the mentally ill for a long time, of which many of the currently homeless are. It worked, but then it all got de-funded under Reagan and they all ended up on the streets and we are where we are now. Too bad.
Why not re-institutionalize them? Federal government isn't needed.

Old 09-24-2019, 08:08 PM

4,997 posts, read 6,801,497 times
Quote:
That's great! I like the idea of decommissioned military bases, but seems like a lot of liability issues there. Might be a good use for them, though, rather than letting sit derelict anyway. I doubt nearby communities would be okay with that, however. Then again, we tried institutionalizing the mentally ill for a long time, of which many of the currently homeless are. It worked, but then it all got de-funded under Reagan and they all ended up on the streets and we are where we are now. Too bad. Aside from that, though, there is no real solution. At least not any morally ethical or easy, inexpensive ones.
Yeah, I remember deinstitutionalization well, unfortunately.
I was assaulted in the Bowdoin Street station in Boston by a deinstitutionalized and homeless person back in 1986.
Good times...

Old 10-22-2019, 08:37 PM

72 posts, read 140,928 times
I hesitate to post this for fear of the blowback...

I was in Spokane for four days recently, and, yes, there were homeless people, mostly in the downtown district. That said, the scale of the problem was tiny compared to many places I've been.

LA, San Francisco, Seattle, Honolulu--those cities have a real crisis.

But even if we exclude those big cities, other mid-sized cities--Olympia, WA, or Santa Ana, CA, or Salem, OR--have homeless problems that make Spokane's look minor.

Until recently, Santa Ana's Civic Center Plaza was the site of a massive homeless encampment. It was like a small city of blue tarps and cardboard boxes. Some parks in Salem have been completely taken over. And Olympia has people, not just downtown, but spilling over into the woods around the city.

From the descriptions I'd heard here, I was expecting something far more grim and massive in Spokane. I'm happy that it isn't like that, but, frankly, I'm a little let down.

Do y'all complain about how bad your traffic is, too?

Old 10-23-2019, 01:40 PM

13,379 posts, read 24,918,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrsusMinor View Post
Do y'all complain about how bad your traffic is, too?
Have you driven completely up N Division during rush hour? It takes a WHOLE 10 MINUTES.

They've been waiting for a north-south freeway since the 1940's, so yeah.

Old 10-23-2019, 02:40 PM

23,464 posts, read 30,063,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrsusMinor View Post
........., the scale of the problem was tiny compared to many places I've been.......LA, San Francisco, Seattle, Honolulu--those cities have a real crisis............

Oh, well, that makes it all OK, then. As long as other cities have a worse problem, there is no real problem here.

Old 10-23-2019, 06:50 PM

19,678 posts, read 21,226,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Oh, well, that makes it all OK, then. As long as other cities have a worse problem, there is no real problem here.
Well said.

Reminds me of the folks who poo-poo Spokane’s long, dreary winter with comparisons to Yakutsk or Nome.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area