Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2007, 07:06 PM

6 posts, read 12,165 times

Advertisements

Exciting, Spouse just left Montana for Spokane to start a new job. Currently living in a motel. We wish to be together soon. We are starting over and taking some risks. I am looking for some information about housing and jobs.
I have a college age son. We would be grateful for any advice or suggestions you have to offer!!

Where should we look-- intown and/or surrounding area for good and affordable rental neighborhoods?

Where should I apply as a Respiratory Therapist ? willing to commute.

What would a 2-bedroom with garage cost to purchase? or Rent?

How is Spokane for walking/bicycling?

Are there good "what's happening" -one where to find out about events, restraunts, parks, shops, entertainment?

Thank you all for your help!!! Have a great day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2007, 01:47 AM

291 posts, read 709,816 times
There has been a lot of discussion on Spokane neighborhoods, including some good posts. At the top center of the screen, you'll see a Search button, and can give them a quick scan if you wish.
As to home prices, there's a wide range available, but the MLS average for closings in 3Q 2006 in Spokane metro area is about 11% lower than Missoula, for example.
Experienced RT's are in such high demand that you'll probably have your pick of jobs! But if you're willing to commute, there are some agencies that specialize in temps to fill in at clinics, or visit patients at their homes, that would allow you to see a bit of everything.
Best wishes!

Old 01-13-2007, 12:09 PM

Thanks Rod for your insight and suggestions.

Will someone suggest the shortest travel routes to take through town.

Old 01-13-2007, 05:21 PM

1,010 posts, read 4,910,134 times
Default Driving through Spokane

Not sure where you would want to go, but the roads in Spokane are pretty easy to navigate with a numbered grid system in place measuring all blocks either N or S with Sprague as the divider and E or W with Division St. as the divider. (Example: 6700 N. Wall is 67 blocks north of Sprague and 5 blocks west of Division, 5300 E. 30th is 53 Blocks east of Division and 30 blocks south of Sprague) I-90 is the main interstate that runs generally E-W from Seattle all the way across the state. There are main arterials that can be used to get to all parts of town. Do you know what part of town you'll be living in yet?

Old 01-14-2007, 10:01 AM

Default Driving/Living Questions

Thanks Wendy, this explanation gives us a start.

Have not lived outside of Montana. The decision to move happened rapidly. So, to answer the question about living arrangements--- we would love suggestions.

We want to start with renting. After reading some of the threads the valley interests us.

If we live in the valley how much more time is spent on the roads?

We are pretty easy to please, would like 2 bedrooms, central air for winter and summer conditions, a garage or car port.

Leap of Faith

Old 01-14-2007, 10:24 AM

After looking at a map I must request clarification.

Division appears to run North to South and Sprague- East to West

Old 01-14-2007, 12:27 PM

1,010 posts, read 4,910,134 times
Yes, you're correct - those are the dividing streets used for the numbering of blocks. In the Valley, you will be east of everything - closer to Idaho. There are quite a few apartment complexes in the valley - most would be pretty convenient to I-90. Other main arterials that run north/south in the valley are Pines, Evergreen, University, Argonne (Dishman), Sullivan. East/west arterials would be Mission, Sprague (Appleway), 16th, and 32nd. Have you checked the online ads for the Spokesman Review? Also might want to check craigslist to see what type of rentals you can find. I am pretty sure you'll be able to find something decent for $750-$1200/month. Rental rates here are not usually too outrageous.

Old 01-17-2007, 02:56 PM

Thanks again Wendy. The Spokesman Review has many listings. Craigslist is on my "to-do" list. With your help and directions I feel much more comfortabe about Spokane traveling once I get there. However, I have been keeping in touch with my spouse everytime I learn something new.

I'd like to ask the forum to Brag about your favorite restraunts?

We love food..food of most types...and we are not afraid to try back alley places...sometimes those are the best anyway.

Old 01-23-2007, 06:15 PM

Rodfarlee and Wendy,

Information exchange was minimal with this thread. The search for information will continue. Will have to try something else. Appreciate your responses. Bye.

Old 01-25-2007, 05:05 AM

642 posts, read 2,551,280 times
Safe, Great College. Friendly People. WASPy. A bit boring. Lots to do outdoors. In a nice neat little nutshell for ya!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
View detailed profiles of: