Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 12:46 PM

20 posts, read 57,078 times

Advertisements

Apparently my instincts about Spokane were correct. See other post: "How much crime is there in Spokane?" From my research, it seems Spokane is the "white trash" capital of Washington State, run by a few wealthy anti-government conservatives that are in denial of the problems with their town. Or they just don't care enough to anything about it. I have friends from all corners of the country that have visited there and say the same thing. Seattle=Good. Spokcompton=Bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2012, 07:56 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman990 View Post
Apparently my instincts about Spokane were correct. See other post: "How much crime is there in Spokane?" From my research, it seems Spokane is the "white trash" capital of Washington State, run by a few wealthy anti-government conservatives that are in denial of the problems with their town. Or they just don't care enough to anything about it. I have friends from all corners of the country that have visited there and say the same thing. Seattle=Good. Spokcompton=Bad.
What a silly post. Your instincts vs the life experiences of people who lived in Spokane most of their lives? Other than name-calling and ignorance, you have nothing to offer to this conversation.

For your information, Spokane had one of America's first African-American mayors, the late Jim Chase, a local businessman who was loved and respected by the entire city.

James Everett Chase - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mr. Chase was succeeded by two female mayors, Vicki McNeill and Shari Bernard. Mary Verner, who served as Mayor from 2007 until last November, was of Native American ancestry. All were well-known liberal Democrats.

Here is a list of Spokane mayors. Although officially a non-partisan office, the officeholders have always identified with one party or the other. Over the past thirty-odd years, the only conservative Republican was Jim West.

List of mayors of Spokane, Washington - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You say you have friends who have visited Spokane. How long did they stay? Why were they there? More to the point: have you ever even been there?

Honestly, the ugly hatred expressed by some people who describe themselves as progressives is appalling.

Old 08-04-2012, 11:00 AM

968 posts, read 2,062,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post

Here is a list of Spokane mayors. Although officially a non-partisan office, the officeholders have always identified with one party or the other. Over the past thirty-odd years, the only conservative Republican was Jim West.
Uhmm, some might say the current office holder is a conservative republican.

Old 08-04-2012, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swigchow View Post
Uhmm, some might say the current office holder is a conservative republican.
Well, the last time I checked, that was not against the law.

Except in the tiny minds of the terminally intolerant.

Old 08-04-2012, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Well, the last time I checked, that was not against the law.

Except in the tiny minds of the terminally intolerant.
You are misdirected my friend, I was only correcting your math.

Old 08-05-2012, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swigchow View Post
You are misdirected my friend, I was only correcting your math.
Okay, two miscreants instead of one. Though that'll be enough for the west-siders to gag on their macchiato.

Sheesh.

Old 08-05-2012, 10:54 AM

182 posts, read 323,290 times
Quote:
What a silly post. Your instincts vs the life experiences of people who lived in Spokane most of their lives? Other than name-calling and ignorance, you have nothing to offer to this conversation.

For your information, Spokane had one of America's first African-American mayors, the late Jim Chase, a local businessman who was loved and respected by the entire city.

James Everett Chase - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mr. Chase was succeeded by two female mayors, Vicki McNeill and Shari Bernard. Mary Verner, who served as Mayor from 2007 until last November, was of Native American ancestry. All were well-known liberal Democrats.

List of mayors of Spokane, Washington - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You say you have friends who have visited Spokane. How long did they stay? Why were they there? More to the point: have you ever even been there?

Honestly, the ugly hatred expressed by some people who describe themselves as progressives is appalling.
It's funny when conservatives argue that they are not conservative, pointing out their tolerance and views on X, Y and Z. I guess the premise in doing so is to prove that liberals are not really liberal at all since they judge conservatives. Cute.

In any case Spokane is extremely conservative, but not the least bit dangerous. The "Spokompton" references are usually made by kids that wish the place was more like Compton, CA. They watch movies, listen to rap music and want to give their city an identity. I lived in Spokane for 10 years and the biggest problem I had was waiting for the bus to arrive on time.

Old 08-05-2012, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtoSD? View Post
It's funny when conservatives argue that they are not conservative, pointing out their tolerance and views on X, Y and Z. I guess the premise in doing so is to prove that liberals are not really liberal at all since they judge conservatives. Cute.

In any case Spokane is extremely conservative, but not the least bit dangerous. The "Spokompton" references are usually made by kids that wish the place was more like Compton, CA. They watch movies, listen to rap music and want to give their city an identity. I lived in Spokane for 10 years and the biggest problem I had was waiting for the bus to arrive on time.
"Conservative, but not dangerous." LOL

On behalf of Spokane, I'll accept that as a backhanded compliment -- from a totally tolerant liberal.

Old 08-06-2012, 10:22 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
Spoke-Orleans..............not very dangerous, although best to watch your back just like any other tr***y Amerit**d city. Property crime.......yikes....but hey, they need to get money for meth some way!!!!!

The amount of trashy-trashy and doped-out-zombies......off the charts. The smoking rate in Spokeadelphia.....I estimate about 60-70%.......all chain smokers. Huge fatty fats........wow, I have never seen so many obese women in one city in my life..........go to Walmart, it is like watching platoons of whales driving around in motorized scooters.

I took a drive around the area north and west of Browne's Addition. Holy cow, do people think it is normal to pile up trash in front of their homes???? Grass and weeds should be trimmed and least once a year....LOL.

Old 08-07-2012, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Okay, two miscreants instead of one. Though that'll be enough for the west-siders to gag on their macchiato.

Sheesh.
I am not smart enough to understand half of what you write, fortunately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area