Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 04:43 PM

20,170 posts, read 24,229,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swigchow View Post
I am not smart enough to understand half of what you write, fortunately.
That because you're not from Spokane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2012, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Spoke-Orleans..............not very dangerous, although best to watch your back just like any other tr***y Amerit**d city. Property crime.......yikes....but hey, they need to get money for meth some way!!!!!

The amount of trashy-trashy and doped-out-zombies......off the charts. The smoking rate in Spokeadelphia.....I estimate about 60-70%.......all chain smokers. Huge fatty fats........wow, I have never seen so many obese women in one city in my life..........go to Walmart, it is like watching platoons of whales driving around in motorized scooters.

I took a drive around the area north and west of Browne's Addition. Holy cow, do people think it is normal to pile up trash in front of their homes???? Grass and weeds should be trimmed and least once a year....LOL.
I luv ya, tickyul, but have you ever been to North Philly? I have. I grew up across the river in Jersey, and went to college in Philly.

The things you criticize Spokane for -- dope use, smoking, fat people, trash in front of homes -- people from the Frankford, Kensington and Allegheny neighborhoods in Philly would laugh at. I'm talking streets where little kids get shot every week in crossfire wars among crack dealers and gangs, where some houses have only three walls, where both ends of streets are blocked by abandoned cars which the city crews refuse to move out of fear for their lives, where police vehicular patrols have given up even trying to penetrate, let alone go in on foot. Even in body armor.

And surely you remember when the Mayor of Philly had to have an entire West Philly neighborhood firebombed?

MOVE - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It looked like this.

Spokane has warts like any other city. But at least you can walk around anywhere and not fear for your life, the schools don't need metal detectors, and you can drive 20-25 minutes in any direction and be in the countryside.

Bothered by smokers? Don't smoke. Annoyed by trash, grass and weeds? Keep your own house cleaned up. Don't like fat women? Avert your gaze. Presto. Problems solved.

Good luck, though, if you ever wake up one morning at the corner of, say, Sixth and Clearfield in North Philly. You'll be wishing you had a lawn to mow, and praying you had a nice chubby Spokane lady to hold your hand.

Old 08-07-2012, 07:38 PM

22,565 posts, read 24,361,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
I luv ya, tickyul, but have you ever been to North Philly? I have. I grew up across the river in Jersey, and went to college in Philly.

The things you criticize Spokane for -- dope use, smoking, fat people, trash in front of homes -- people from the Frankford, Kensington and Allegheny neighborhoods in Philly would laugh at. I'm talking streets where little kids get shot every week in crossfire wars among crack dealers and gangs, where some houses have only three walls, where both ends of streets are blocked by abandoned cars which the city crews refuse to move out of fear for their lives, where police vehicular patrols have given up even trying to penetrate, let alone go in on foot. Even in body armor.

And surely you remember when the Mayor of Philly had to have an entire West Philly neighborhood firebombed?

MOVE - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It looked like this.

Spokane has warts like any other city. But at least you can walk around anywhere and not fear for your life, the schools don't need metal detectors, and you can drive 20-25 minutes in any direction and be in the countryside.

Bothered by smokers? Don't smoke. Annoyed by trash, grass and weeds? Keep your own house cleaned up. Don't like fat women? Avert your gaze. Presto. Problems solved.

Good luck, though, if you ever wake up one morning at the corner of, say, Sixth and Clearfield in North Philly. You'll be wishing you had a lawn to mow, and praying you had a nice chubby Spokane lady to hold your hand.

Yeledaf:

No, I am very aware that this country has areas that are much worse than Spokane.......how about Chicagobabwe for instance. I have been in a lot of dumpy parts of the country. I actually lived in NYC when Dinkins was mayor...........what a dirty, violent, scary place.

I have lived in Washington and California for most of my life. So I guess what irks me is the fact that the quality of both Americans and American cities seems to be C**P!!! More and more people think it is A-OK to dump trash right onto the ground or blast music from their vehicle....not giving a whit about the effects on society.

So I pretty much knew what Spokane was going to be like before I moved here.....I guess a small part of my mind was foolishly expecting a little better.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Yeledaf:

No, I am very aware that this country has areas that are much worse than Spokane.......how about Chicagobabwe for instance. I have been in a lot of dumpy parts of the country. I actually lived in NYC when Dinkins was mayor...........what a dirty, violent, scary place.

I have lived in Washington and California for most of my life. So I guess what irks me is the fact that the quality of both Americans and American cities seems to be C**P!!! More and more people think it is A-OK to dump trash right onto the ground or blast music from their vehicle....not giving a whit about the effects on society.

So I pretty much knew what Spokane was going to be like before I moved here.....I guess a small part of my mind was foolishly expecting a little better.
Wow. You really don't think it's better? Man, I go back east for reunions and such, and everybody acts like they want to kill each other.

Did you ever visit Dishman Hills, right off Sprague in the valley?

Parks - Dishman Hills Natural Area

Or hike the Centennial Trail, that starts smack dab in the middle of downtown and ends in Idaho?

Centennial Trail

Or have the gumbo at the Elk tavern in Brown's Addition? Or chow down at the Longhorn barbecue? Or have breakfast at one of the old-time diners in Spokane?

Spokane Diners | Urbanspoon

Sure, Spokane is squaresville -- but in kind of a harmless, nutty way. Tell you what: I'll be home next April. PM me the next time you get up to Spokaloo. I'll buy you a beer or ten.

Old 08-10-2012, 07:28 PM

22,565 posts, read 24,361,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Wow. You really don't think it's better? Man, I go back east for reunions and such, and everybody acts like they want to kill each other.

Did you ever visit Dishman Hills, right off Sprague in the valley?

Parks - Dishman Hills Natural Area

Or hike the Centennial Trail, that starts smack dab in the middle of downtown and ends in Idaho?

Centennial Trail

Or have the gumbo at the Elk tavern in Brown's Addition? Or chow down at the Longhorn barbecue? Or have breakfast at one of the old-time diners in Spokane?

Spokane Diners | Urbanspoon

Sure, Spokane is squaresville -- but in kind of a harmless, nutty way. Tell you what: I'll be home next April. PM me the next time you get up to Spokaloo. I'll buy you a beer or ten.

Yeledaf:

Well, for me it always come down to weighing the pros and cons of staying in a place. Spokane is nice in that the cost of living is decent, people seems pretty nice, not too crowded, very pretty part of the country and it is big enough to be kinda intersting. But the pros are probably not strong enough to keep me here. And the cons.....wow, winters are just too long, lots of tweaked out zombies, downtown filled with bums, many areas are very trashy, I like living near a REAL city. So I do not know, California is calling, if I can afford it I will probably move back.

Don't get me wrong, there are a LOT of nice things about Washington state in general and Spokane is specific. I lived in Yakima for a while, yikes...now that place is a dump.

Old 08-11-2012, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Yeledaf:

Well, for me it always come down to weighing the pros and cons of staying in a place. Spokane is nice in that the cost of living is decent, people seems pretty nice, not too crowded, very pretty part of the country and it is big enough to be kinda intersting. But the pros are probably not strong enough to keep me here. And the cons.....wow, winters are just too long, lots of tweaked out zombies, downtown filled with bums, many areas are very trashy, I like living near a REAL city. So I do not know, California is calling, if I can afford it I will probably move back.

Don't get me wrong, there are a LOT of nice things about Washington state in general and Spokane is specific. I lived in Yakima for a while, yikes...now that place is a dump.
I hear you. I'd live in Cal in a heartbeat if I could afford to move my grandkids there.

Old 08-13-2012, 02:51 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,246,516 times
Quote:
Yeledaf:

Sorry to butt in here with an off-topic question, but is Spokane really that bad when it comes to homeless/vagrants/panhandlers? I'm not being facetious, I'm seriously asking.

Admittedly, I'm from, and have mostly lived in small towns all my life, so I am probably not very good at distinquishing a "real" bum from a fake panhandler (i.e. the kind that has his Escalade parked around the corner from his begging spot), but after living along the I-5 corridor for five years in the early 2000's, I saw WAY more bums along I-5 than I had ever seen in Spokane.

I guess I'm just wondering why this comment comes up a lot in the Spokane forums when, to me, many other places seem as bad or worse...

Old 08-16-2012, 02:55 PM

3 posts, read 10,761 times
On a scale of 1-100 (with 100 being the safest) neighborhoodscout gave Spokane a 2. New York City got a 34. Compton CA got a 26.

Old 08-16-2012, 02:57 PM

3 posts, read 10,761 times
Spokane WISHES it was as safe as Compton. Comparing Spokane to Compton is an insult to Compton.

Old 08-16-2012, 03:55 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,246,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpokaneSucks View Post
Spokane WISHES it was as safe as Compton. Comparing Spokane to Compton is an insult to Compton.
According to Cityrating, Spokane had 7 murders in 2009 with a pop of 300K (43.73% higher than the national average), and Compton had 36 murders in 2009 with a pop of just under 100k (261.43% higher than national average). Spokane is higher in property crime, but much lower in violent crime.

Also, look at the CD crime-graph for each town - Compton averages around 700.0 on the crime index, while Spokane is about 500.0 or maybe 550.0. Only a politician could spin those numbers to make Compton sound safer than Spokane.

I don't quite understand the data from your "neighborhoodscout" - the only reason, I guess, that I would feel more comfortable walking down the street in Compton than Spokane is that if a crime occurred in Compton, you would be dead and not have to worry about trying to find your wallet later...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area