Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2008, 10:58 AM

4 posts, read 11,073 times

Advertisements

Last year, I purchased 10 acres of land in Chattaroy. The lot is located off of Elk Chattaroy Road, off a road named Antler. The particular area of lots has CCR's, which require stick built homes. From the stand point of living, how is the area? Do you think that it is too rural to raise a family. I only bought the land for an investment property, but as time passes, I have considered building on it in 6 years. I live in Orlando, FL and realize that the secluded nature of the area will take some getting used too. If anyone has any personal information about the area, please share.

What effect do you think that the North South Freeway will have on sprawl in Deer Park and Chattaroy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2008, 08:20 AM

25 posts, read 136,786 times
samung - the area you are discussing is so far beyond the proposed North South Freeway that I would not be concerned about any "sprawl." In addition, the outlying areas of Spokane grow so slowly that you are talking about 10-15 year horizons for noticeable changes.

As to your original question about whether it is "too rural" to raise a family - that is pretty subjective. We moved our family to a rural area and it has been the best thing we could have done. However, our small community has an elementary school, middle school, and highschool within just a few miles. We also have one gas station and a small market so we do not have to go into town unless we want to.

I believe you are a little more isolated in Chattaroy. You won't be able to jude your tolerance for the inconvenience of driving to schools and shopping until you actually experience it.

My suggestion would be to look up some FSBO propertieis in Chattaroy and then call the seller and talk to them about your concerns.

Good luck!

Mike

Old 10-31-2008, 10:42 AM

722 posts, read 1,511,372 times
Hey Samsung Great area to live, I live in Deer Park, moved here from Seattle. Size wise Orlando and Seattle hve to be close. So i can tell you from my exp. that it was the best thing I could have done. When the north south goes in it should raise property value, but with that will come traffic to. My wife and I rasied two girls here and they were a little shocked at first but now they agree that it was the best thing for them too. More oppertunities to make the teams, my youngest made the DPHS Cheer squad, alot harder in a school with 4000 like in the Seattle area. The small town stuff is great, we just had pumpkin lane, kids trick or treat in downtown Deer Park at all the local shops streets are packed, the winterfest, settlers days. Its small town america, with Spokane just 20 min. away

Old 11-04-2008, 12:02 AM

26 posts, read 108,958 times
Chattaroy and Deer Park acreage offers the biggest bang for the buck imo and the data will support that. The north-South freeway is a ways off...probably 10 years and needing a lot of $ to complete but if you are ready to hold onto it; the value will surely go up. What are you acustommed too now as far as living? That section of Chattaroy is definitely more rural compared to closer in suburban type neighborhoods but I do believe your kids would get a good education there. Will the school system rank as high as central valley or mead that get a lot of press?...probably not but that's not to say the education will not be good.

Old 11-05-2008, 07:13 PM

4 posts, read 11,073 times
Jeff,
I currently live in a suburb of Orlando. The tri-county area has over 1 million people. Terrible traffic, noise, and unbearable summers. I have never lived in an area as rural as Chattaroy, so it might come as a culture shock for us. My calculations estimate that it will take me 25 minutes to drive to a major grocery store as opposed to 15 minutes in Orlando. When we first purchased our lot, we were trying to buy in the Mead school district, but nothing was in our price range. We did not want to exceed 100k. The catch is that we wanted at least 5 acres in an area of CCR's (only stick built homes and no junk cars on the front lawn). Hopefully, if we decide to move there, the quiet won't kill us!

Old 11-05-2008, 11:45 PM

438 posts, read 1,796,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsung View Post
Hopefully, if we decide to move there, the quiet won't kill us!
Death by quiet? Hmmm...I could think of a lot worse ways to go!!! :~) D

Old 11-10-2008, 11:38 AM

26 posts, read 108,958 times
That's funny Deena160! lol. It's probably not as rural as you are imagining. Grocery stores are probably closer to 15 minutes and downtown spokane within 30-40 minutes depending on where your property is located. I just sold one on 10 acres off of Laurel and Elk Chattaroy Road with CCR's and we calculated it to be about 20 minutes exactly to the "y" where Division St Meets Hwy's 2 & 395...there you will have all major shopping available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area