Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 02:00 PM

112 posts, read 229,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vette-dude View Post
My 2 cents worth on this topic for you:

I worked for many years in western washington and loved it overall, just through the decades (as many places) became to populated and during work traffic you can sit on Interstate 5 for long periods hardly moving..but you have to take the good with the bad anywhere you may live, and the job market was very good....at the time... Upon retirement, we moved to the east side of the state primarily due to less population, open roads as such and much warmer spring and summer months. We lived in Tricities for a period, and yes there are many retirees' in this location and most large national chain stores are readily available, most newly built within the past 2 years, especially in Kennewick and West Richland. In your profession, , you should be overall fine in either the Tricities and/or Spokane on the eastern side of the state, just as well in Seattle, Puyallup, Everett or Tacoma. A lot depends on what you prefer, Tricities is let's say more like desert lands, no to very minimal trees and summers are "HOT" 100 and above is normal...Spokane is not quite as hot in relation to Tricities but does have beautiful summer weather and many lakes for boating and fishing...Columbia river is for boating in Tricities....

Good Luck
Vette Dude,

Thank you for that excellent feedback. So when you say "In Your Profession" are you speaking of me wanting to stick to Real Estate or my GirlFriend who is in the Dental Field?

Where are your favorite areas in Tri-Cities? and Spokane? for both quality of life, and safety? Of coarse where I can grow my business at the same time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2009, 06:06 PM

1,093 posts, read 3,424,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shock976 View Post
Vette Dude,

Thank you for that excellent feedback. So when you say "In Your Profession" are you speaking of me wanting to stick to Real Estate or my GirlFriend who is in the Dental Field?

Where are your favorite areas in Tri-Cities? and Spokane? for both quality of life, and safety? Of coarse where I can grow my business at the same time.
You are welcome..

I was speaking of your profession, but I would think your GF would do fine in any good size city. My favorite areas ( reference to living) in the Tri Cities is Horn Rapids which is an established Golf Course community of very nice homes , reference to shopping we enjoy the city of Kennewick with the Mall and many chain stores such as Costco. We "thus far" enjoy our life in the valley, again has the Mall just off I-90 and we are in a nice community.

Old 03-25-2009, 12:05 AM

We are planning a 3-4 day trip up to the area so that we can get an idea of the terrain, neighborhoods, etc... We are probably going to rent at first until we get to know the area, so are there any places in particular that we should keep an eye out for?

Also, are there any specific to areas that we should probably zero in on while we are there?

I like being somewhat close to shopping, resturaunts, parks, golf coarses, and other city like ammenities.

Old 03-25-2009, 02:27 PM

231 posts, read 1,081,520 times
Regarding Spokane, I think there are several areas that would fit what you're looking for. Personally, I like the 'south hill' which is a broad catch-all for most of the city south of I-90. The south hill is made up of many neighborhoods, each with their own qualities. In general, the south hill is close to parks, shopping, restaurants, golf and is an easy, surface street 'commute' to downtown (think 5-15 minutes depending on where you are). In general, the south hill is a pretty safe part of town. There are other areas of the city, such as near Downriver golf course or up by Indian Trail that are also quite nice. If you get to Spokane, check out the south hill (roughly 10th to 65th and Cedar/High Drive to Thor/Freya). Good luck with your search.

Old 06-30-2009, 09:51 PM

24 posts, read 56,167 times
I have lived in Colorado since 1991. Denver and the rest of eastern Colorado is Kansas. West of denver is the Rockies for about 170 miles on interstate 70. There are some mountain areas that are not real expensive but basics cost more than most other places. The closer you get to resorts the more expensive it gets and there are a lot of resorts in the mountains of Colorado. Conversely, the types of jobs available are limited. THE MOUNTAINS ARE BEAUTIFUL!!!, and never cease to amaze me. NOBODY CAN AFFORD TO LIVE IN ASPEN. I get the impression from your message that you have a long way to go to understand Colorado. Just remember: DENVER IS NOT IN THE MOUNTAINS!!!

Old 07-02-2009, 12:18 AM

844 posts, read 1,280,576 times
Anywhere a person is not keeping mind of their surroundings is not safe. Spokane is reasonably safe, though there is a good amount of property crime (dont leave valuables in your car is a biggie).

Old 07-02-2009, 08:07 PM

33 posts, read 106,959 times
Quote:
We are planning a 3-4 day trip up to the area so that we can get an idea of the terrain, neighborhoods, etc... We are probably going to rent at first until we get to know the area, so are there any places in particular that we should keep an eye out for?

Also, are there any specific to areas that we should probably zero in on while we are there?

I like being somewhat close to shopping, resturaunts, parks, golf coarses, and other city like ammenities.
Audubon area, Downtown, Riverside State Park, etc (130+ pictures)

Old 01-16-2010, 03:06 AM

I think that my family and I have come to the realization that we probably just want a change in life, and it would be nice to live in a state where the money you make doesn't all got to Taxes, and increasing auto registration.

Spokane or Tri-cities

Old 01-16-2010, 04:13 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
Quote:
I think that my family and I have come to the realization that we probably just want a change in life, and it would be nice to live in a state where the money you make doesn't all got to Taxes, and increasing auto registration.

Spokane or Tri-cities
Well, with the less you'd pay in taxes/registration comes a lower income (generally).

With the exception of housing, gas/taxes/necessities aren't cheaper in WA than they are in CA, they are actually about the same.

The Tri-Cities are a lot like Lancaster/Palmdale, but with a colder winter, and a river. I prefer Spokane.

Old 01-20-2010, 09:05 PM

28 posts, read 69,972 times
Okay, so how much does one spend per month in Spokane for heating? I'm sure it's different for electric, natural gas and propane. That's one thing I'm thinking will break me; am I right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area