Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 10:29 PM

6 posts, read 8,739 times

Advertisements

Everyone here sums it up. But the summer is definitely worth the harse winters. The summers in Spokane are to die for!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 08:45 AM

221 posts, read 1,195,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2lizards View Post
I'm not sure why food is so expensive here, given all the farming areas around. It's also not as expensive, in my admittedly limited experience, to buy food in Idaho. I don't know what gives there.

I thought I was going to have to take a second job just to pay my gas bill. I hope that was atypical.
I think it's because Seattle is in Washington. Seattle has such a big impact on the cost of things in the entire state, and it's sad how badly Spokane is affected by it...higher gas prices and groceries and utilities than Spokane really should have.

These are my thoughts. Please, someone correct if I'm wrong.

Old 05-26-2009, 10:20 PM

13 posts, read 65,968 times
When you do get around to starting a family you might be interested to know that Spokane was rated as one of the 100 best places to raise a family in the US. This was from the authors of "Cities Ranked and Rated", which I think is the essential guide to relocating. And no, I'm not in any way affiliated with them.

Old 05-27-2009, 06:27 AM

221 posts, read 1,195,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmzero View Post
When you do get around to starting a family you might be interested to know that Spokane was rated as one of the 100 best places to raise a family in the US.
Yes, this is true. I have the book. And I agree that Spokane's in the book. It truly is a great place to raise a family.

Old 06-03-2009, 05:39 PM

2 posts, read 4,045 times
I moved here from Tampa in September '08. It was a bit of an adjustment for many of the reasons others have mentioned. But, I think the hardest part to acclimate to is the darkness. Winter days are SHORT here. In FL we're used to a good 10 hrs, or more, of sunlight even in December and January. After the daylight savings time adjustment, nightfall was coming before 4pm here! That makes it hard to navigate when you're new to a city, especially in a place that doesn't have very well maintained asphalt or well painted street lines.

Then again, the Spring and Summer days are much longer here than they were in FL. So try to move here sometime around May. Then all you'll have to complain about are the intersections without stop signs!

Otherwise, I think it's a pretty good place to start anew.

Old 06-07-2009, 01:13 AM

1,837 posts, read 4,148,902 times
Default Been all over..

Hi, I have been in Spokane (North Spokane, Colbert) for about three years. With what you have listed I think Spokane would be perfect for you. One of the other posters mentioned weather. Compared to the midwest the winters are not really that bad. This past winter was pretty snowey and the snow stayed on the ground for a couple of months. Hearing from other people who have lived here longer I don't think it was a typical winter. One thing I have noticed. The snow here is so beautiful. Big white flakes that fall gently down and when they lay on the pine trees (that are everywhere) it is beautiful and tranquil. Especially at Christmas... It is truly lovely. It does get cold but the wind doesn't blow very often so you don't get that blizzardy negative wind chill factor which in my opinion makes the winter unbearable. I find it quite nice here. And if you want to snowboard/ski you have to have snow right?? Well you have several snowboard/skiing hills very close in this area so there is plenty to do when it snows.

One thing that I think you need to be careful with. Yes, the area is affordable but the job situation is difficult right now as another poster mentioned. So make sure you have a job to go to or else have plenty of money saved until you can secure one when you get here. You may have to take a job temporarily out of your field until you find what you want if the area is worth it to you.

I agree with the poster that just mentioned the darkness thing. It will be an adjustment since you are coming from Florida but then again it isn't as bad as Portland or Seattle...

I would suggest that you come and visit for a week or two if you can do so. Then you can see first hand if this is the place for you...Good luck to you.. I personally LOVE it here and unfortunately my family and I have to move soon because of a job transfer

Old 12-28-2009, 05:23 PM

13 posts, read 39,864 times
Spokane is a great area to live and work, and there are a few choices regarding to the construction of your home. Construction has slowed down in our area, but we have not been affected as badly as other regions. We are a technology-based state and government and commercial projects are still under way!

TIP: Get an electrician that understands audio/video components, computer and phone networking and wiring for HDMI for High Definition TV - and other future proof technologies. Better yet, get an audio/video company to consult you on what products are currently available and what may come in the future!

Certified Security Systems
Audio Video Design Associates

Our company works along side with construction companies and our jobs have been fewer, but larger in dollar amount: located in the Spokane Valley.

Favorite Areas:

Spokane Valley - From MISSION to 32nd Area from: Sullivan Rd. University Rd. Bowdish Rd. Pines Rd. Evergreen Rd. or up near Indian Trail.

Spokane Area - Liberty Lake and Couer D'Alene are small and cozy resort cities, and relatively new and range in price. I like Liberty Lake and Post Falls area, but not all places in the Otis Orchards area - Some houses are nice, but too secluded and in need of work.

Venture into northern Idaho (only 20-30mins from Spokane) and check out: Post Falls and Coeur D'Alene are still building residential, especially around the lakes - some taxes are also cheaper in Idaho, but pay is better is Washington.

Appartments:
Eagle Ridge, Liberty Lake

www.pasadenaridge.com
4710 North Pasadena Lane
Spokane, WA 99212-4718
(509) 927-0149 * NON SMOKING

Cherry Bluff, Spk Valley = OK

The Lusitano Appts.
5420 W. Barnes Rd. Spokane, WA 99208

VISIT:

Manito Park
RiverFront Park - IMAX and walk downtown
Bowl-in-Picture Walk
Arbor Crest Winery and Grounds (21+ yrs)
Gondola Rides downtown
Skiing at Mt. Spokane, Silver Mt., 49* North
Lakes - Newman, Hauser, Ponderosa, Coeur D'Alene
Camping - Preist Lake, Hauser Lake

I operate a security system and monitoring company in Spokane Valley and we feel that Spokane is fairly safe and still considered a "small" town with some big city appeal.

Good luck and best wishes!

Old 12-28-2009, 08:12 PM

15 posts, read 39,445 times
5 to 6 months of winter , 2 months of summer . You'll read in the Spokane mags that they have about 260 clear sunny days a year, not even close. Comparable cloudiness to Seattle weather but more clear and hotter in the summer. Probably a lot better place to live than Florida but if you like the sun you might want to check other areas out.

Old 12-29-2009, 02:51 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,187,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren5 View Post
5 to 6 months of winter , 2 months of summer . You'll read in the Spokane mags that they have about 260 clear sunny days a year, not even close. Comparable cloudiness to Seattle weather but more clear and hotter in the summer. Probably a lot better place to live than Florida but if you like the sun you might want to check other areas out.
If you want to see the sun more, you don't have to leave the Spokane area...just drive a couple miles up Sunset Hill up on the plains. That little extra dab of elevation makes all the difference.

Years spent out there made me realize that Spokane is basically built in a hole...lower than the surrounding area it is susceptible to weather inversions that trap fog, smoke, etc. down in there at times during the winter. Countless times we'd leave our place--sun shining, blinding us bouncing off the snow--deep blue cloudless sky--and drive to Spokane. The closer and lower we got it often was like descending into soup. I'd see friends and they'd complain about how foggy or cloudy it'd had been all week and we'd barely see a cloud at our place.

...and to say that Spokane and Seattle has comparable cloudy weather? Wow, Warren, you're the first I've heard ever say that! Even given what I mentioned above, I've never thought the cloudiness was ever comparable.

Old 12-31-2009, 11:40 AM

107 posts, read 337,659 times
Having a Class A will help you quite a bit here. There are alot of driving jobs. Try looking into some of the local beverage companies. If you can get some extra endorsements such as doubles, tanker, and hazmat you should be able to find something. The mininum wage here is $8.55 and you would start out at $10.00 or more as a driver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area