Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 03:38 PM

1 posts, read 5,274 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to Spokane later this Spring to be close to our daughter and grandchildren. I have been very active in New Neighbors and Newcomers groups in the areas I have lived in and find it a great way to meet new people. We plan on moving to the south hill area and I was wondering what might be available in this regard.
Thanks in advance for any information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 11:48 PM

438 posts, read 1,796,345 times
I've never heard of anything like that. What a great idea! I'd be interested, too. :~) D

Old 04-10-2009, 09:24 PM

1,093 posts, read 3,423,170 times
Nope haven't heard of that in Spokane ....I know some cities in WA have that available...what part of Spokane are you considering moving to...

Old 04-16-2009, 08:25 AM

221 posts, read 1,194,951 times
I know that there are clubs like that in Spokane because I did some transcribing work for a Spokanite recently and a number of the interviewees commented on how they were involved in groups like that. I can't remember what they were called, but I will see if I can do a search through my files and find out for you.

Another idea is you could contact the Chamber of Commerce, and I bet they could tell you of groups like that. WELCOME TO SPOKANE! I'm jealous! I hope we get back there someday.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:10 PM

1 posts, read 5,024 times
Wink Newcomers Club in Spokane

I couldn't find a real newcomers' club in Spokane, so I decided to start a group on facebook! Hopefully, we will get tons of interest and arrange to have events offline. Spokane is a hard town to break into . . .so many have lived here their entire lives, but I know we can do it! And when they see how much fun we are having, they will realize that it is o.k. to not be "from here!" So, check out Spokane Newcomers on facebook . . .you will be one of the first!

Old 06-22-2010, 07:12 AM

649 posts, read 1,767,946 times
what a great idea! in the old days towns use to have Welcome Wagon does anyone remember that club. i haven't done a search yet to see if it still is around though. and i'll check out the facebook site because im moving back to spokane next week; can't waite

Old 06-22-2010, 07:14 AM

just did a search of newcommers club for spokane and this site popped up:Newcomers Service of Greater Spokane, Spokane WA 99201

Old 06-22-2010, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie Baker View Post
I couldn't find a real newcomers' club in Spokane, so I decided to start a group on facebook! Hopefully, we will get tons of interest and arrange to have events offline. Spokane is a hard town to break into . . .so many have lived here their entire lives, but I know we can do it! And when they see how much fun we are having, they will realize that it is o.k. to not be "from here!" So, check out Spokane Newcomers on facebook . . .you will be one of the first!
i couldn't find you on facebook can you copy the link address and post it here?? i did a search on facebook for spokane newcomers and it didn't show up just a couple of womens clubs.

Old 06-22-2010, 02:51 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,045,027 times
You could also see what groups are available on Do something, Learn something, Share something, Change something - Meetup.com

Old 06-22-2010, 06:59 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,185,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
what a great idea! in the old days towns use to have Welcome Wagon does anyone remember that club. i haven't done a search yet to see if it still is around though. and i'll check out the facebook site because im moving back to spokane next week; can't waite
The Welcome Wagon welcomed us to Spokane in the mid-60s as a military family.

Welcomed us again when we moved out to our ranch a ways out of town...even though we weren't new to the area any more....

I remember they brought us some useful items and directories, etc. It was useful because, of course, it was before the days of internet. Or cell phones. Or home computers. Or microwaves. Or portable phones. Or color tv.

Ok, now I just feel old.

Valerie Baker, the facebook thing is a great idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area