U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-21-2012, 06:56 PM

14,402 posts, read 12,279,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejoe509 View Post
Spokane isn't terribly scary. There's areas I would recommend staying away from just from a "better safe than sorry" point of view. There are small pockets here and there of "bad" areas and it's hard to describe each one. The rule of thumb in Spokane... if it looks run down and scary, you probably shouldn't be there. As far as hotels, I can't think of any of the top of my head that are in truly dangerous places. Even then, you should be able to read some quick reviews online and get a good idea. In reference to apartments, there are areas all over town that are worse than others for car theft or random vandalism. But should you be afraid for your life? Heck no...

Don't make yourself a victim. Stay in crowds in well-lit areas, don't go down dark alleys, don't leave expensive things in your car, etc. These are no-brainers, really...
Most important, though: stay out of Real Estate offices. They'll steal your eyeteeth.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 09:13 PM

864 posts, read 2,995,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Most important, though: stay out of Real Estate offices. They'll steal your eyeteeth.
Hey I resent that one Yeledaf!! Real estate offices are a great place to get free coffee and free tours of houses. You must have put that to see if I was paying attention.

Old 03-21-2012, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyK View Post
Hey I resent that one Yeledaf!! Real estate offices are a great place to get free coffee and free tours of houses. You must have put that to see if I was paying attention.
Ouch. Caught red-handed at the paint counter.

Old 03-27-2012, 02:28 PM

100 posts, read 187,295 times
Worst neighborhoods in Spokane: ALL OF THEM except for most of South Hill south of about 9th-14th.

ALL of the North is a white trash beehive. There are oases of decent areas way up north - 5Mile, Fairwood off Y, but if you live there, you'll have to drive through hideous north part of the city EVERY SINGLE TIME you go somewhere. And getting to I-90 from there is a Moderator cut: language.

South Hill is really the only area to live in Spokane. Yes, you can buy a nice house on a nice block in the north, but that's not everything (see above why). When we were shopping for a house, we've seen some really nice propositions in five mile area, fairwood... cheaper than on South Hill... But no way we want to live up there. Spokane is butt ugly as is, I don't want to see only the ugliest part of it every day on my commute. At least when you live on South Hill you get to drive through nicer parts of the city, and it really eases our soul and cleanses your mind (after living here for a couple of years you WILL need this).

Last edited by David Aguilar; 03-27-2012 at 07:25 PM.. Reason: language

Old 03-28-2012, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mounty View Post
Worst neighborhoods in Spokane: ALL OF THEM except for most of South Hill south of about 9th-14th.

ALL of the North is a white trash beehive. There are oases of decent areas way up north - 5Mile, Fairwood off Y, but if you live there, you'll have to drive through hideous north part of the city EVERY SINGLE TIME you go somewhere. And getting to I-90 from there is a Moderator cut: language.

South Hill is really the only area to live in Spokane. Yes, you can buy a nice house on a nice block in the north, but that's not everything (see above why). When we were shopping for a house, we've seen some really nice propositions in five mile area, fairwood... cheaper than on South Hill... But no way we want to live up there. Spokane is butt ugly as is, I don't want to see only the ugliest part of it every day on my commute. At least when you live on South Hill you get to drive through nicer parts of the city, and it really eases our soul and cleanses your mind (after living here for a couple of years you WILL need this).
Mounty, you can stay.

But watch for the redhead.....

Old 04-10-2012, 10:36 PM

108 posts, read 188,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mounty View Post

Meh, South Hill is for wanna be yuppies that can't afford to live in Seattle or any other "real" yuppie city.

Old 04-13-2012, 02:36 PM

3 posts, read 8,581 times
People can claim that Spokane is so great and safe but they aren't out doing service jobs that require them to go to every single part of town. Fact is you do want to avoid the bad areas, even during the day. People on this website will say great things about the city they live in to promote people to move there, but its not always the truth. Any day I am sent to work (Installing cable) in Hillyard, anywhere from the River to the "Y" a mile east and west of Division, West Central, East downtown between Division and Freya, and some parts of Browne's, I end up having to deal with Pit Bulls chasing or biting me, tweakers yelling at me on the sidewalk, or my face and eyes getting burned from meth exposure. South hill really is one of the nicest areas, or parts of the Valley, or way north of the "Y" but it takes forever to get up there from the freeway. I can honestly say I've been here 2 years now and we are already wanting to move to a cleaner city.

Old 03-20-2013, 05:29 PM

1 posts, read 2,896 times
Smile Moving to Spokane ?

Spokanedude...

I am at a loss, I live in California and am dying for a change for my family and I...we are tired of this heat... I've read that there are four seasons in Spokane and that its better than Seattle... now, I'm a bit concerned because I want a better life for my kids...at least better than here in California...Any suggestions aside from Spokane? I would greatly appreciate it.

Old 03-20-2013, 06:06 PM

119 posts, read 155,084 times
Geri,

Yes there are the 4 seasons: prewinter, winter, post winter, and construction. construction is 2 months tops. If you don't drink coffee now, you will.

Old 03-21-2013, 04:28 PM

54 posts, read 62,572 times
What Esteban Dime said, except Construction/warm weather season is at least like 3 months. July-early October can't be beat in Spokane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area