Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 11:14 PM

54 posts, read 173,745 times

Advertisements

Hi!

We are looking at possibly moving to Spokane, but are worried about getting jobs. Any words of advice? What are the industries hiring right now? I work in Ad sales, so I guess any sales job could work for me.
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 11:10 PM

1,093 posts, read 3,413,414 times
Hello freetohope,

Stand by your user name, it's positive....

The spokanereview newspaper is a somethimes a viable tool.

Ofcourse there is always www.spokane.craigslist.org (http://www.spokane.craigslist.org - broken link) which I reviewed the other day, no not for me, don't need work, lol..and did see some sales positions, you can click the link and check it out and respond where appropriate..

This is a good link, not just for employment, but very useful for ppl looking
to move here and ppl local to the city as well:
City of Spokane Official Website

Here is a link I have assisted others with, no feedback except "thanks"...
Employment and Job Listings in Spokane, Washington, the Spokane Valley and the inland northwest

There are a few to assist you in your search, and good luck...

vette-dude
Spokane

Old 06-16-2009, 02:04 PM

89 posts, read 235,848 times
Default Spokane is a craphole

Ad-revenue for any media format is doing well in mid-2009. Research jobs here. I'd recommend NOT MOVING TO SPOKANE. This is an AWFUL, NASTY, CULTURELESS, LIFELESS place. The job market is degenerate. Try other cities. Use the usual and local job search tools to find how the market is.

I recommend not going to Spokane. I have three college degrees I earned myself. I was suckered into a job here and was not allowed to interview in person (hired over the phone). While I can only recuse myself, this place is deplorable, degenerate, and best avoided. This town is the crappiest place I've been to. I've been here since April 2006. I hate it far more than anyplace I'd ever been.

Spookytown? Spookyloo? Spokeangeles? Spokcompoton? It is called than for a reason. Perform a search for "i hate spokane" (with quotes) and you'll read why. Spokane is death.

Old 06-16-2009, 02:59 PM

1,093 posts, read 3,413,414 times
Bitko, if this city is so terrible ; then why are you still here?

I-90 is open to my knowledge, east and west bound.

Old 06-17-2009, 04:35 PM

Thank you for the great links! What is the main newspaper in Spokane?

Old 06-17-2009, 04:36 PM

Hi! What about the Tri-Cities? How does that compare to Spokane?

Old 06-17-2009, 06:18 PM

231 posts, read 1,079,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitko View Post
Ad-revenue for any media format is doing well in mid-2009. Research jobs here. I'd recommend NOT MOVING TO SPOKANE. This is an AWFUL, NASTY, CULTURELESS, LIFELESS place. The job market is degenerate. Try other cities. Use the usual and local job search tools to find how the market is.

I recommend not going to Spokane. I have three college degrees I earned myself. I was suckered into a job here and was not allowed to interview in person (hired over the phone). While I can only recuse myself, this place is deplorable, degenerate, and best avoided. This town is the crappiest place I've been to. I've been here since April 2006. I hate it far more than anyplace I'd ever been.

Spookytown? Spookyloo? Spokeangeles? Spokcompoton? It is called than for a reason. Perform a search for "i hate spokane" (with quotes) and you'll read why. Spokane is death.
You obviously have issues with Spokane and that is okay, it isn't right for everyone. I suppose awful, cultureless, lifeless and nasty are matters of opinion. You seem disapointed that Spokane doesn't measure up to San Francisco or Seattle. The problem is, those cities are much, much larger than Spokane and are major metropolitan areas. Do they have more in the way of diversity and culture than Spokane? Sure. As well they should.

Spokane does have a symphony, museums, sports teams, colleges and universities, theater companies, touring Broadway shows, etc. Last Saturday you could have taken in a reading by David Sedaris at Auntie's Bookstore or a performance by Wanda Sykes at the Fox. This Saturday you could see Gabriel Iglesias at the Knitting Factory; The Spokane Shock AFL2 team at the Arena; the Wallflowers at the Fox; Dance With Asparagus at the Women's Club (you have to admit that sounds interesting ); catch the midnight movie at the Garland (Harold & Kumar Go to Whitecastle); watch some improv at the Blue Door Theater, etc. Again, it isn't SF but it seems like Spokane is cultureless and lifeless to you because you've made it so.

The unemployment rate improved in the last month and is still under 10%, which is unfortunately better than much of the northwest. Just one year ago, the rate was less than 5%. Sure, Spokane doesn't have the quantity of high-paying jobs you'll find in large metropolitan areas but, again, expecting that to be the case is unfair.

I hope you find what you're looking for but in the meantime, while you're stuck in Spokane, you might find that with some effort and a change in perspective it isn't the hell on earth you seem to think it is. Maybe it is just Limbo.

Old 08-04-2009, 11:02 PM

Hi freetohope,

Please consider most if not all of the responses to your query persuading you to relocate to filthy owld Spokane are from folks working for the city and county of Spokane or are a part of the Cowles Publishing Company.

Perhaps you can contact the Cowles Publishing Company. They own the NBC television affiliate KHQ and the single daily paper in town, the Spokesman-Review. The Cowles family owns downtown, much of the land, they politically own the Spokane city hall, including the Mayor, Mary Verner.

The Cowles pull a lot of weight and influence all of the other media outlets. They do not report on anything of value or educational or empowering to the public. That seems to fit in a region where few have educations. Spokane has Gonzaga U. but all graduates leave. There is no relation between the university presence and the business community, versus other, actually healthy and functional town like a Minneapolis.

As for Ad sales, you do not mention what industry or what media, such a newspaper, radio, television, Internet, and the like. Ad sales, along with the artificial collapse led by the Keynesian (spending ourselves to profitability)-Communists (take from the U.S. middle class and outsource to India, China) in Washington DC.

See craigslist: spokane / coeur d'alene classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events - not much for jobs.

Spokane has been kept economically depressed for generations. Each employer requiring any real skill or education that pays above 12$ an hour acts with the same attitude:

You are a coal miner. You live and work at the only coal mine in a West Virginia coal mine town. You make poor wages (or salary). You’ll not ever advance.

If it is a privately held company, you’ll not be a part of any stock incentive program. Most of the nasty little cheap companies here are privately owned and mortgaged sky-high. When the nasty little company sells, you’ll get nothing, though you have worked 190 hours in three weeks. Seems excessive? Welcome to Spokane.

craigslist: kennewick-pasco-richland classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events

As with kennewick-pasco-richland (Tri-cities or KPR), there are fewer well paying jobs. Save for agriculture. The tri-cities beat Spokane some decades ago as the distribution center for all the agricultural products leaving the region. Spokane was built, in part, on the massive railroad transfer yards, but that was lost and the railroad yards remain unused, mostly.

The largest employer is the Hanford Nuclear Site near Richland. It is a Superfund cleanup site with known radioactive areas around the site. They pay well, but your risk your health. Yet the site has improved greatly.

[quote=vette-dude;9322742]Bitko, if this city is so terrible ; then why are you still here?

I-90 is open to my knowledge, east and west bound.

vette-dude, Thanks. You can pay for my relocation to a civilized place. Otherwise…

Also your links for freetohope clearly demonstrate no ad or sales jobs are in the area. Thanks for the support. Give my best to Betsy Cowles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kena View Post
The unemployment rate improved in the last month and is still under 10%, which is unfortunately better than much of the northwest. Just one year ago, the rate was less than 5%. Sure, Spokane doesn't have the quantity of high-paying jobs you'll find in large metropolitan areas but, again, expecting that to be the case is unfair.
Kena, getting suckered into this stupid town is unfair. The PR efforts on this and other Web site that list endorsed and not honest opinion is not fair either.

Spokane county and city are suffering for poor tax revenues. Yet taxes really can’t be raised as there is little this burgh offers anyone. So, how else to raise taxes, dupe people into coming here, buy a house, and expecting it to be all right. Perhaps, Spokane is running a scam? Heh…..

Old 08-04-2009, 11:05 PM

Perhaps, Spokane is running a scam? Heh…..

Forbes.com Web article: Fraud: Scam Capital of America - Spokane, WA

Fraud: Scam Capital of America - Forbes.com

Article Quotes: "There's a lot of fraud here," says Marie M. Rice, head of the 60-member Spokane chapter of the Association of Certified Fraud Examiners.

"When you're visible, you're visible," says Cowles Co. Chairman Elizabeth A. Cowles. "We're proud of the role we play here."

"Spokane, WA – A City Held Hostage Aug 22nd, 2008"

Spokane, WA. - A City Held Hostage | Freedom From The Press - Media Corruption & Government Fraud - Exposed (http://www.freedomfromthepress.net/wordpress/2008/08/22/media-corruption-spokane-wa-a-city-held-hostage-freedom-from-the-press/ - broken link)

Article Quotes: The chief spokesperson for the RPS deal was the developer herself, Betsy Cowles. Ms. Cowles would show up at public meetings calling those who opposed the RPS deal, "naysayers". The opponents of RPS were mere citizens who believed in fiscal responsibility and accountability from their elected or appointed city officials. Ms. Cowles and her supporters would often say that this proposal is the only plan that will ever be placed on the table. We either take it or the downtown core will die.

Complaint filed with US Attorney’s Office re Spokesman-Review & RPS Bond Fraud - Thursday, June 19th, 2008 at 9:20 am Friends of Mark Fuhrman - A lie told often enough becomes the truth. » BREAKING - Complaint filed with US Attorney’s Office re Spokesman-Review & RPS Bond Fraud

I don’t care for Mark Fuhrman, but the RPS bond fraud and other issues are reported okay, I guess.

The city does offer some arts and culture. The Spokane Fox and Bing Crosby theatres can host some fine shows. The third incarnation of the Spokane Magic Lantern has reopened: The Magic Lantern, Spokane, Washington For a two-screen film theatre hosting independent cinema, few of the Landmark Theatres cinemas in any city are as nice, plush seats like some fancy new import, the best cinema PA system, and you can enjoy dinner at "Isabella's Restaurant and Gin Joint" www.isabellasspokane.com. You can buy drinks and Isabella’s and take them into the cinema to enjoy during the film.

The downtown area serves primarily the college students of Gonzaga and the U of W and Wash U. schools in the area. Fridays and Saturday evenings can be quite rowdy with a heavy police presence.

You have a few good restaurants. But while in Spokane, you get a feeling of a hollow place with not much inside. Bad streets, and not much more. Ugliest urban sprawl I’ve seen outside of Indianapolis, IN or Los Angeles. A pay day loan store on one corner, a cheap dive biker bar on the other corner, some form of Christian church on the other corner, and a pawn shop on the other. Except most everyone is white. You’d expect something different in East L.A. or South Chicago or North St. Louis city.

Sure, caveat emptor. I am so stupid for being so suckered. Why my normally critical nature failed before getting suckered into relating without I dunno. I can’t say. Welp, I have to leave, and I’ll do that and soon.

Oh, and the winters here are deplorable. The last two winters being 100+ inches of snow, and snow removal is poor if frequent snows. You must have a 4x4 that is new and durable to survive here. The roads are bad like in poor Chicago areas and it shall eat your car up.

One more Spokane link and quote:

Urban Dictionary: spokane

People who use the word "Spokompton" to describe this awful hell-hole are usually not trying to be clever or bad-ass. They're most likely just trying to explain how ghetto Spokane is. "Spokrapton" is my personal favorite and I like to think I made it up, but I imagine others have come up with this monkier before.
Hope that helps, freetohope.

Old 08-05-2009, 11:33 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,146,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freetohope View Post
Hi! What about the Tri-Cities? How does that compare to Spokane?
To directly answer the first question you asked, if I can get around bitko's ravings, the main paper is the Spokesman-Review.

As far as the Tri-Cities goes, it's a whooooole 'nuther kind of place. I've lived in both areas, and personally, prefer Spokane. For starters, Tri-Cities is in a desert, or near desert. Winters are much milder, but summers are much, much hotter. If you enjoy the mountains, you are further away from them in the Tri-Cities.

It is smaller, has no real downtown, (or 3 much smaller, decentralized downtowns)...in general I found it had much less to do, certainly less "cultural" activities, although that is improving.

Economically, Tri-Cities has generally followed a boom-and-bust pattern, following the cycles of Hanford. It also has a much stronger Hispanic influence.

I found Spokane a nicer place to live, although I was happy in Tri-Cities as well...I just had to look harder for the nice things about it than I did Spokane.

...and no, despite bitko's conspiracy theories, I don't work for Spokane county, city, or the Cowles family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area