Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2009, 10:48 AM

5,439 posts, read 7,733,177 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone:

My wife and I currently live in Texas with 3 young girls. She is not particularly happy with her current job situation (she is a doctor) and is looking at several possible offers in both the Boise and Spokane areas. We are not native Texans. I grew up in Oregon and went to school in Seattle and we lived 8 years in Juneau. So we know what to expect from the NW in terms of climate and culture.

I am a marine fisheries biologist and spent 10 years working for NMFS in Seattle, DC, and Juneau before moving to Texas for my wife's career. Here in Texas I got into teaching and enjoy it. I completed an alternative certification and am composite science certified which allows me to teach any science subject. Although I'm a biologist by training (masters from UW) I've been teaching chemistry and physics in Texas for the past 3 years and I think I'm pretty good at it.

My question is this. If I follow my wife to Spokane, how difficult will it be for me to find a science teaching position in one of the local high schools? Here in Texas a composite certified science teacher can sneeze and get 6 job offers. As an intern straight out of my certification program I put out 10 job applications and got 8 job offers. Several of them were made on the spot after a 15 minute interview. I suspect the profession is more difficult to break into in Spokane. I'm just wondering how much more difficult.

Am I looking at spending years working as a sub or commuting to some far flung rural school before breaking into a good job close by where we'd want to live in Spokane? Or is it reasonable to think I could land a science teaching job relatively easily?

Economically speaking I don't have to find a job immediately. We can obviously live on my wife's salary. But I'll go crazy if I can't find something productive to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area