Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 07:37 PM

42 posts, read 145,333 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are retiring in a little under 3 years and are starting to seriously look at different destinations. I lived in Wenatchee as a kid for a few years and we have vacationed in Washington for many years, so we're pretty sure that it's the state we'll end up in, but where is the question?
At the moment the top two places we're considering are Sequim and the outskirts of Spokane. We're have quite a shopping list of considerations that include:

1. Fairly good values in the housing market. We're in Orange County, California now so almost anywhere is less expensive than where we're at, but I'll be taking about 400K in equity with me and would like to buy a place and have no mortgage or at worst a very small one. The catch is I'd like a newer, pretty good sized house with maybe an acre or so, a building I could use as a shop, a good view and a lot that is at least partly wooded.

2. Decent weather. This is a tough one since it's hard to define. Basically we'd like four seasons, although not too much snow. Altough we like the rain, we don't want too much or constant grey. We'd also like at least a few months that are somewhat hot. Neither place is perfect in the weather area.

3. We're both active and like outdoor activities... hiking, biking, gardening etc. Neither one of us fish or hunt. We'd also like a place that has things happening for the 55 and older set... the kind of things you'd find in a college town. Sporting events (minor league baseball in Port Angeles? College teams in Spokane etc), concerts (any kind) or plays.

I could go on listing things, but those are the big ones. We also lean more towards the liberal side which is a minor consideration, want good choices for medical issues (doctors and hospitals) and so forth. In many respects a home 5 to 15 miles outside Spokane sounds like the best match, but we have a real bias towards Sequim. Love the penninsula, have lived near the ocean all our lives etc.

So... to the questions:
How bad are the winters around Spokane for someone who hasn't faced snow in years (I grew up in Indiana)?

How grey are the winter days in Sequim (vacationed there one Feb for a week and it rained every day)?

How much do the shorter winter daylight hours make the rain or the snow worse? Are the shorter days a real problem by itself? I've spent many weeks in the Sequim area in the summer and love the long days at that time of year.

From looking online, it seems to me that the Spokane area would be less expensive for housing than Sequim... is that accurate? I've spent hours on the Windermere website looking at homes in our price range... does anyone know of other sites that would be good for comparing housing in these cities or other NW cities?

How much real resentment is there towards new families moving into the NW who are from the 'hated' California? Is it worse in Sequim than Spokane?

I know Sequim is quite the retirement area and so has a very diverse group of residents, but I'm not so sure about Spokane. I've heard it's very conservative... is that much of an issue for a liberal? I'm in OC which is a conservative haven and it's never mattered much beyond the fact that my votes never seem to make a difference *S*. Does everyone in Spokane hunt and fish or are there a few 'tree huggers'?

I keep reading about meth problems in Spokane... how would that really effect a retired couple beyond perhaps being the root cause of a little higher crime rate? Is it really an issue?

Sequim is pretty small although the area has a decent population, Spokane area is bigger though... does this mean Spokane would have more for seniors to do? Does Spokane have any 55 and older sports leagues? anything like that?

Oh... one more thing... I know good schools makes a better environment, but for us personally the school thing isn't a consideration as both my girls will be in or through college. Would be nice for us to have a college or junior college to take some classes at though.

This has been pretty long winded and I apologize for that, but thought I'd try to get as much out there as possible rather than keep bringing up diff issues. Thanks in advance for any responses!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2007, 01:03 PM
HDL

3,216 posts, read 6,786,973 times
Cool Hopefully my answer to your post will get others to reply

Okay, I aso researched Sequim a bit last year and found it vastly overpriced with no jobs. And Spokane, well, all I ever hear is negatives about that area . Most CA people move to Northern ID (Sandpoint, Coeur d'Alene, Post Falls, etc.) instead of Spokane and seem to really like those areas better.

I too love the ocean, but for financial reasons ending up moving to Boise ID instead . I absolutely love it here, but I totally understand that it is not for everyone and many people will find it too boring and miss the access to the ocean.

I've seriously considered setting up a tent on Oprah's property in Santa Barbara and camping out there because I miss the beautiful pacific ocean . Maybe she'll be too busy in Chicago to notice me on her vast land holdings in CA ?? LOL!

Anyways Counting Down, I wish you and your wife the best in your search and hopefully soon "Rocco22" will show up with his wonderful insight !

Old 05-07-2007, 06:49 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,048,181 times
Hi HDL ! *waves*

Ah, I missed this thread ...just noticed it.

Man, Counting Down, that's quite a list of questions. But that comparison I've never seen before ...Sequim vrs. Spokane, interesting.

Good comments by HDL. I tend to agree. Housing will definitely be less expensive in Spokane than in Sequim. I too looked at Sequim as a place to retire but was disenchanted by the prices.

Winters in Spokane? Well, as I just posted in another thread, I've never lived in Spokane but have visited friends there frequently in the winter. It can get bitterly cold but the snow situation is not that bad, IMO. The snow is usually "drier" and not the slushy stuff that is typical on the other side of the mountains in the Puget Sound area. That powderier snow in combination with less hills than, say, Seattle, makes it much easier to drive in when the bigger snows hit. One winter while I was there, the roads had compact snow on them for the whole time I was there (a bit over a week) and nobody had any trouble getting around. So much contrast to when it snows in Seattle.

How grey are the winter days in Sequim? Well, although Sequim is in the "bannana belt" it doesn't necessarily mean that the sun is out all the time. Even though it gets quite a bit less rain than Seattle, it can have just as many cloudy days perhaps a few less, I think, I'll have to actually check the stats' on that to make sure.

Pertaining to the question about the short days: yes, if you suffer from S.A.D. it really will take its toll eventually being anywhere in western Washington. The short days without seeing the sun is obviously a problem for S.A.D. sufferers.

Whew! I'm trying to go back and read some of your other questions.

Ok, the meth problem in Spokane? I have heard the same thing but, believe me, it's everywhere now it seems.

Which place is worse for the "I hate Californians" syndrome? Man, I don't know what to say about that one. My guess would be Spokane. But, if you're not asked, don't tell, I suppose.

Can't respond on how many activities each place has for seniors. You're right, Sequim has a big retirement community but on the other hand, Spokane is much bigger in population.

Colleges? Obviously Spokane will have the edge. I believe the closest college to Sequim is Peninsula College in Port Angeles.

Whew! Did we cover everything? I don't know a lot about either place as I've never lived there but I've visited both quite a few times through the years. But hopefully, we'll get more people to respond who will know more about the specifics of each place than I do.

Thanks. More later...

--'rocco

Last edited by scirocco22; 05-07-2007 at 07:45 PM..

Old 05-07-2007, 07:35 PM

Default Thanks!

Appreciate the replies...
On the SAD issue, would there be any real difference between the two cities with respect to the short days? I guess I'm wondering if Spokane might get a touch more sun and make the short days easier to handle.

Old 05-07-2007, 07:50 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,048,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Counting Down View Post
Appreciate the replies...
On the SAD issue, would there be any real difference between the two cities with respect to the short days? I guess I'm wondering if Spokane might get a touch more sun and make the short days easier to handle.
Exactly, that's what I would tend to think. To me, the rainy short days, especially when they continued for a string of several days (not unusual), was miserable. I don't miss that at all.

Spokane usually doesn't get those days and days and days of straight rain like the western side of the mountains tends to get frequently during the winter.

Thanks.

--'rocco

Old 05-07-2007, 09:05 PM

1,010 posts, read 4,911,665 times
I don't know anything about Sequim other than what I've read on here, so I really can't say how the two cities compare. Spokane's winters are not the greatest - we do get some sunny cold days that make it bearable. But our spring and summer months are just awesome! Today was nearly perfect - temp about 75, sunny, a little breeze and the trees and flowers are blooming. Yesterday was our annual Bloomsday race downtown - there were about 44,000 people participating this year (I was one of them!) and it was another beautiful day to walk or run through the streets of downtown Spokane.
Spokane also has very good medical facilities. There are tons of CA transplants here - you'll hear occasional jokes about the abundance of Californians but I think most people are glad to have them here. In my neighborhood alone (only 23 houses) six of the families living here moved from CA within the past 5 years.

Old 05-07-2007, 09:15 PM

Default Wow... 6 of 23?

If that's typical I can see how some old timers would resent them. In fact... if that's where we end up, I think a moratorium on CA newcomers should be enacted right after I get there! Just kidding, but that is quite a stat even if a small sample. I see, Wendy, that you're in Nine Mile Falls... could you enlighten me a bit on what the best areas outside Spokane might be? Especially with an eye towards the scenery and prices? Thanks!
Oh, and HappyDawgLady... you made a comment on most CA people being happier in northern ID. I wonder if there are benefits from a tax standpoint? or what would prompt the choice of ID vs Spokane?
Thanks again everyone!

Old 05-07-2007, 09:34 PM

1,010 posts, read 4,911,665 times
Default Nice outlying areas of Spokane

Well of course I have to say Nine Mile Falls, since I live here - it is beautiful and has a lake for boating & fishing called Lake Spokane (or Long Lake). It's actually a section of the Spokane River that is dammed at the 2 ends - one end in Spokane County and the other just on the border of Stevens/Lincoln county to the west.
Other good outlying towns for views & "space" would be some parts of Deer Park & Cheney, south Spokane - the Hangman Valley and Palouse areas, southeast Spokane areas of Mica, Freeman, & Valleyford, northeast Spokane areas of Mead, Colbert & Greenbluff. It really depends on what type of view you like - open fields with distant hills, or from a hilltop looking down over farms or homes, some areas have more streams, rivers & lakes and trees. Spokane county has a vast array of terrains - many of them beautiful in their own way, it just depends on what you prefer and how far away from conveniences you want to live. Hope this helps!

Old 05-08-2007, 12:51 AM
HDL

3,216 posts, read 6,786,973 times
Wink There's what you know and what you hear LOL

In the past I've "heard" alot of negatives about Spokane and alot of positives about Couer d'Alene, but I've never been interested in either area to try to find out WHY .

But maybe if I give you a perspective on my own area, it may help you a bit (or maybe it won't ) .

1) Housing

It is still very affordable with prices coming down and a wide range of home choices (I have internet looked at homes in WA and OR and find them downright UGLY for my own tastes). Boise area has some very good looking homes with 3+ garages which is an important criteria for me.

2) Property taxes in Boise compared to CA

In CA, my property taxes were a minimum of 1.25%. Where I live in Boise (an unincorporate part of the city), my property taxes when I bought here were .85% and have since gone down this year to .78%. I get totally confused when people here complain about high property taxes, but taxes do vary by where are you live, so I made certain that I knew what the property taxes were before buying my home.

3) Length of day

In Boise, the sun stays out till 10 pm part of the year and the earliest I remember the sun setting is somewhere's around 5 pm. This is ~ an hour later than CA during the summer months and about 15-30 minutes later than CA in the winter. On the other hand, the sun rises later each day than CA. I believe this has to do with Boise being on MST (Mtn Standard Time). I love this aspect of living here ! More time to play after work each day! Spokane and Northern ID are on PST though.

4) Utilities

We are one of the CHEAPEST states for power (I believe we're #2). My utilities for everything (water, phone, power, gas, etc.) are cheaper here than CA and my home is 3 times as big and my yard is double the size.

5) Tax to sell your home

I believe that I read (on CD forum???) that WA taxes you when you sell your home and it seemed to me to be a big amount. I would definitely look into this. I don't know if they have the same tax in ID as I haven't sold here yet, but planned on looking into it after hearing not to long ago about WA taxing you when you sell .

6) For funsy, I'm throwing in Oregon

The home prices are sky high JMHO and the homes and lot sizes can't compare to the homes and lot sizes in Boise (MORE BANG FOR THE BUCK IN BOISE). On the other hand, the jobs from what I've seen and heard, pay much better than Boise percentagewise (the Portland area has way more good paying jobs). I say this because I've interviewed for jobs in the Portland area and currently have a friend interviewing there and telling me what salaries they are offering her.

I'm really not trying to steal your thread. I just know when I'm looking, the more info, the better. I don't know if any of this info will help you, but maybe it will help another poster ! And hopefully, more posters will come along with the info that you're looking for!

Best wishes in your search!

HDL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Counting Down View Post
Oh, and HappyDawgLady... you made a comment on most CA people being happier in northern ID. I wonder if there are benefits from a tax standpoint? or what would prompt the choice of ID vs Spokane?
Thanks again everyone!

Last edited by HDL; 05-08-2007 at 01:00 AM..

Old 05-08-2007, 07:32 PM

HDL,
Don't worry at all about 'stealing my thread'... your replies are what I'm looking for! I appreciate your bringing Boise to my attention; I have looked at it a bit, but in my admittedly brief research, it doesn't appear to be very forested. Is that impression accurate? We really want a place in the trees. Are there locations in the 'greater Boise area' that might be forested? What is the scenery like there?
I've been to both Spokane and Sequim, but at this point (2 1/2 years away) I'm willing to consider anyplace in the NW and if it seems likely I'll pay it a visit, so bring on your suggestions!

2) Property taxes in Boise compared to CA

In CA, my property taxes were a minimum of 1.25%. Where I live in Boise (an unincorporate part of the city), my property taxes when I bought here were .85% and have since gone down this year to .78%. I get totally confused when people here complain about high property taxes, but taxes do vary by where are you live, so I made certain that I knew what the property taxes were before buying my home.

I find the whole tax issue quite confusing... high property taxes aren't a big issue if there is no state income tax... it seems every state must raise the money to operate in some fashion, they just choose to hit you in different places. I understand some states kill you on auto registration... some on sales tax, or property tax or ??? Any idea how overall tax burden compares between CA, OR, WA, ID?

3) Length of day

In Boise, the sun stays out till 10 pm part of the year and the earliest I remember the sun setting is somewhere's around 5 pm. This is ~ an hour later than CA during the summer months and about 15-30 minutes later than CA in the winter. On the other hand, the sun rises later each day than CA. I believe this has to do with Boise being on MST (Mtn Standard Time). I love this aspect of living here ! More time to play after work each day! Spokane and Northern ID are on PST though.

Doesn't really sound so bad, course you're a bit further south than S & S. Wonder how much worse they are?

6) For funsy, I'm throwing in Oregon

The home prices are sky high JMHO and the homes and lot sizes can't compare to the homes and lot sizes in Boise (MORE BANG FOR THE BUCK IN BOISE). On the other hand, the jobs from what I've seen and heard, pay much better than Boise percentagewise (the Portland area has way more good paying jobs). I say this because I've interviewed for jobs in the Portland area and currently have a friend interviewing there and telling me what salaries they are offering her.

Guess I'm lucky to only have the good half of this issue to worry about... since I'm planning on this being a retirement move, inexpensive housing w/o good paying jobs is ok with me!

Again, thanks for the info... like you said, when I'm looking at a decision like this one, the more info the better!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area